Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

HAVE: Ginkgo, Pawpaw, American Persimmon Seed

brandon7 TN_zone7
18 years ago

I have extra tree seeds if someone would like to trade. I have Ginko biloba (Ginkgo), Asimina triloba(Pawpaw), and Diospyros virginiana (American Persimmon).

In case anyone is not familiar with these, I will give you a few of the downsides so you don't plant something that you wish later you hadn't:

Female Ginkgos produce fruit that smells a lot like puke. It's a wonderful, sought after tree. But with seedlings, you will get half females and won't be able to tell the difference until the trees are big. Don't plant downwind of your house.

Pawpaws and American Persimmons have taproots and don't transplant well. I would recommend either planting where you want them to start with or planting out ASAP before the taproot makes them un-transplantable.

All three of these trees produce fruit that would be messy if the tree was growing over a walk or driveway.

I hope this hasn't scared everyone away, but I would hate to see someone have to cut one of my babies down just when it started looking pretty.

I'm not sure what I am looking for in return. Make me an offer or just beg.

Comments (11)

• krikit
    18 years ago

I'm not really familiar with these trees, but think I might like the Pawpaw. I live on a small farm in NE Knox County and would like to plant a few trees in the field next to the house. We've lost some trees in that field and I have always enjoyed the trees being there. Whatever I put back would have to be safe for cattle when it got bigger. For now, I would put panels around it to protect them from the cows :-) I don't really know if I would have anything you'd want to trade, except maybe rose cuttings, daylilies, iris and/or maybe black walnut seedlings that come up from the squirrels plantings each year. Send me an email if you have any interest.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

krikit, you have mail.

• krikit
    18 years ago

For some reason, I didn't get an email from you. I will check again this evening.

Frances

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Frances, not sure what is happening with your emails. I sent twice and you didn't receive either? I haven't had any problems with any other emails and have been getting and sending a lot of 'em. I will try to call you tonight if possible. You included your number in the email you sent me.

• krikit
    18 years ago

Sorry to be such a pain. It could be that when I check my email this evening it will be there. I don't have access to my email from my work computer. But if you want, go ahead and call anytime, that is my cell number.

Thanks again,
    Frances

• katiedidcottage
    18 years ago

I would love to have a Ginkgo seedling if you still have some or think you will have some next January. I have a few things to trade and can wait until the gingkos are dormant again. Even if they smell like puk, the leaves are a gorgeous yellow in the fall.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Katie, you have e-mail.

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

Brandon are you coming to the MTPS? If so, bring some of the Ginkgos!!!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All seeds are gone now. If you want some Ginkgo seeds, I should have plenty next year. If you can remember in October, email me, and I can send you some. Remember if you do see seeds available at the swap, they should be stratified. Ginkgo seeds are recalcitrant so you don't want them dried out.

I won't be comming to the MTPS. It's too far for me.

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

C'mon dude we have tons of folks from East TN that make it. Hitch a ride!

• katiedidcottage
    18 years ago

Hey Brandon,

I never got your email. I just happened to see your reply when I was looking back through these lists. Please email me at KatieDidCottage@aol.com. Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by the terms you used describing the seeds. I'll try to remember to email you again in October. Hopefully, you'll tell me how to do the seeds. If you look at my lists and see anything you like, I'll be glad to trade something for the seeds.

Katie

Sponsored