Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnmom66_gw

WANTED: Edible landscape plants or seeds wanted

tnmom66
10 years ago

I have blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, strawberries and a 3-in-one pear tree and an asparagus patch in addition to my regular garden I replant every year. I have planted a "Therese Bugnet" rose this year and last year I planted a "Mister Lincoln" rose that I want to use to make rose petal jam. I really want a fragrant rose or the cabbage type to use for jam, but I haven't got one yet. I am trying to get a fig tree and I have limited space, but i would like more fruit trees. I have wild grapevines all over my fence which I have enjoyed eating when I am able to get the tender ones. I have health problems and I grow organically so if anyone has any suggestions for plants that might fit well into my 1/4 acre, (about 1/2 of that gets plenty of sun--I am also interested in things that might grow well in shade) please let me know.

Comments (3)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Hey Tnmom66,

I think there are very few people that check this sub-forum on a regular basis. That's probably why there are no responses so far. If you are in the Knoxville area, I might be able to get you a fig tree or two next spring. I could even give you cuttings now.

Also, if you are in the east TN area, you should definitely check out the East Tennessee Plant Swap. Other areas also have their version (middle TN has the MTPS, and Memphis has the Memphis Swap). You should be able to get some awesome stuff at one of the swaps. Here, we have both a spring and a fall swap. The MTPS also does two. I'm not sure about the Memphis area.

As for different types of fruit, there are sooooo many choices. I guess the smaller lot size does limit you a little, but there are still many choices. Have you tried pawpaws? A good one (one of the popular named cultivars) can have a very pleasant taste (most are somewhat like banana custard, some have a hint of other flavor like pineapple, etc). Dwarf persimmons are another possibility. Then there's lots and lots of less common stuff (jujubes, medlars, pomegranates, honeyberries, seaberries, etc, etc, etc). I have over a dozen cultivars of pomegranates, for instance.

If you have questions about fruit trees, or whatever, feel free to email me. Like others, I don't check this sub-forum often, so might not see a response here.

• bobsr
    10 years ago

Hi tnmom66:
    I have some fig cuttings coming out of root stock in a few weeks, I could set aside 1 or 2 for you. About 12/18 in high. As for fruit trees, the best would be a full dwarf. I prefer Fuji apple they grow about 5 ft and will grow in container but produce much better in ground. Shade area could handle lettuce and spinach, which also make good ground cover under trees. Maybe cut back the wild grapes and put in a few domestic grapes as they produce rather quickly. Hope this helps
    Bob Sr

• tnmom66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I missed the replies because I am not so good at checking that email as I get lots of mail there. I changed it, so I will be more likely to get updates.

I appreciate the replies, even though I am late reading them!

I believe I have a Brunswick Fig. I dug up 2 suckers in August and I thought I let them die over the winter, but one is leafing out and I think the other one will, too.

I would love a pomegranate. I have a friend in Murfreesboro who has one.

I actually never got grapes off the wild vines, I use the leaves to stuff with a rice filing. I cut them way back this year.

I would like a domestic grape variety. I always have less money to spend on my garden than I would like. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that problem!. I am growing more asparagus from seed. If they make it, I know it will be a few years before I will be eating from them, but i am growing enough Mary Washington plants that I should be able to share at some point.

I would like very much to try my hand at growing paw paws. I read somewhere that they can be frozen whole and peeled and eaten "like ice cream" (with big seeds, I guess!)

My pear tree is standard size, but I will only be getting dwarf trees from now on, I think. My 5 year old daughter wants a cherry tree. I saw some cool, but expensive 4 in 1 cherry trees. I am not sure how well they would do. I definitely want a peach tree and an apple tree at some point.

I am in Nashville and don't have a good enough car to want to travel very far from home. I know there are some swaps around here, if i would pay enough attention. I need to always keep my calendar on me to take notes when I see things!