Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Brandon's Fall 2008 East Tn Plant Swap Items

Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 20:49

Until the easttnplantswap.com's swap forum gets up and going, I'm going to post a few of the item's I may bring here. I may post more in a week or so, so check back.

seeds:
Asclepias syriacus (Broadleaf Butterfly Milkweed) - showy, lovely smelling, invasive-like (it's a native), drought-resistant perennial
Asclepias tuberosa (Orange Butterfly Milkweed) - wonderful, drought-resistant perennial
Asimina triloba (Pawpaw) - native, drought-resistant fruit tree
Baptisia australis (Blue Wild Indigo)
Belamcanda chinensis (Blackberry Lily)
Crocosmia seeds from 'Lucifer'
Cryptomeria japonica (Japanese Cedar) - awe inspiring tree

shrubs and trees:
Callicarpa dichotoma (Japanese Beautyberry) - pretty shrub
Clerodendrum ugandense - Not hardy! Must be given protection for winter!
Ginkgo biloba baby trees (note that these are UNSEXED SEEDLINGS)
Illicium floridanum 'Alba' (White Florida Anise Tree/Shrub)

perennials and succulents:
Aristolochia fimbriata (White Veined Dutchman's Pipe)
Dyckia (unknown species) - not quite hardy succulent
Iris 'Little Red Devil' - This little baby is growing like wildfire for me.
Manfreda (unknown hybrid) - drought-resistant, completely hardy succulent
Opuntia (Prickly Pear Cactus) - completely hardy, nature's version of razor wire
Sedums (multiple types)
Sempervivums (multiple cultivars)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Brandon's Fall 2008 East Tn Plant Swap Items

Ooo, I'll take a coupla your Manfreda. Do you know that they're native to cedar glades? :-) I think I have at least one back there already, but I'd love more!

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 10:07

I'll put you down for a pot of them. They're seedling I grew last year, so they won't be very big yet.

o

Brandon,

It's looking like I won't make it to the plant swap, but I would love to have a dutchman's pipevine if you have any left from the swap. I'm not sure what if anything I'd have to trade you - if you can think of anything let me know. I do have an evergreen tree that Mom bought at beavercreek, and ended up not planting. I need to look around and see if I can find the name of it, or take it back there and get them to ID. When she got it, I'm thinking they said it was from pacific northwest and that it would get really big ... but not in our lifetime. If that'd be of any interest to you, I would definitely pursue getting an ID.

Thanks,
Frances

o

Frances,
If Brandon doesn't have extra Dutchman's Pipes, I have TONS of seed that I have saved off of mine.

o

Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 20:35

Frances,
You just gotta come! Can I tempt you with a free Variegated Dutchman's Pipe? (-;
They are little right now, but I'll save you one. If you don't make it to the swap, maybe you can come over to the farm and check out my new flowerbed. When/if the stuff grows, it's packed with neat sun loving stuff.

Cheryl,
Are your's Aristolochia fimbriata or another species?

Everyone:
The new swap forum is up and going at www.easttnplantswap.com, so I'm transferring this post there. Check it out if you haven't already!

o

Brandon,
Mine are Aristolochia fimbriata. As this is one of the smaller pipevines, I grew mine in a hanging basket so that I could enjoy the pipes at eye level. As it should be hardy here, I am pondering where I could plant more in a bed.

o

Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 11:47

I gave Frances a couple of the pipevines the other day. I have three planted in my new flowerbed. They seem very well manored, so I'd think you could always tuck them in somewhere in just about any bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Tennessee are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here