Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

have: fall 2010 etps brandon7's list

brandon7 TN_zone7
13 years ago

I may post another updated list closer to swap time, so check for that later on. Here's my initial list of what I plan to bring.

Punica granatum (Pomegranate) well-rooted cuttings of multiple hardy cultivars. Many of these are next to impossible to find commercially. Ideally I'd like to find someone with plenty of room and an interest in growing a few of these and keeping track of which produces fruit, etc (kind of an unofficial trial study), but I'd settle for just a good home for them.

{{gwi:1273467}}

Xanthoceras sorbifolium (Yellowhorn) small potted trees. These are ideal for a cooler microclimate (well drained low spot, maybe) or a location with just a little light afternoon shade. Very beautiful flowering small tree with lacy foliage!

{{gwi:1090617}}

Sempervivum (Hen and Chicks) potted chicks from a variety of named cultivars. The pictures below (from Squaw Mountain) are examples of some of the cultivars I actually have, but I'm not yet sure which ones I'll be bringing.

{{gwi:1273471}}{{gwi:1273472}}{{gwi:1273474}}{{gwi:1273476}}

Opuntia (Prickly Pear Cactus) pads or small potted plants. These are nature's version of barb-wire. They are completely hardy here, but do droop a little in really cold temps.

Sedum plants or cuttings. Not sure which cultivars I may be able to bring. 'Vera Jameson', pictured below, is one example of what I have.

{{gwi:1273479}}

Kolkwitzia amabilis (Beauty Bush) small potted bush. Will probably have two available.

{{gwi:1273482}}

Comments (14)

• plant_collector47
    13 years ago

Brandon,

Would take one of the Punica granatum. Sure you will have more items I am interested in as time goes by. Will post my "have" list on here next month (have some new items). See you 10/2.

Mark

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Hi Brandon! I have a three year old Pom - would love to have another one or two, wouldn't mind keeping you updated of their progress.

I will take a look at your "wants" list and see if I have anything that you are looking for.

BTW - the little magnolias that I got from you are doing wonderfully, they have really filled out over the past month - already over a foot tall.

Tiffany

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mark and Tiffany,

I'll try to get a list of the pom cultivars I have available and let you pick which ones you want sometime before the swap.

• plant_collector47
    13 years ago

Brandon,

I have a punica called "eight ball" had any experience with that one?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, I do know that 'Eight Ball' is considered an ornamental (sour fruit). All of mine will potentially produce good quality edible fruit, although many do have hard seeds.

• tlfox
    13 years ago

I had to go take a look at mine - it's a "Wonderful" pom. This was it's 3rd summer - so I am hoping for fruit next year.

• krikit
    13 years ago

Hey Brandon - I lost some of the hen & chicks you'd given me due to some poor drainage - I would love to have more of any kind if you have some extra - if you'd like I could bring you a nice size 'Natchez' crape myrtle - also have a 'Pink Velour' that I might be able to bring you if you'd rather have it.

Thanks!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frances,

I'd definitely be will to trade you a few Semps for a 'Natchez' (I already have a 'Pink Velour'). At this point, I'm still not sure which Semps I will have available, but I'll try to get you at least two or three nice cultivars. If you know which ones you already have, let me know so I won't duplicate.

I divided and potted up a bunch of my Semps a few weeks back to bring to the swap, which turned out not to be such a good idea. I usually don't have problems with Semps, but I've lost quite a few from this last transplant session. Some appear to be doing well, so, with luck, I'll still be bringing some to the swap (just not as many as I had hoped).

• krikit
    13 years ago

That sounds great Brandon. I have more than 2 variety that have survived, but only two with name tags intact so - what I have are Kappa and Brock. A variety other than those would be great but really doesn't matter - and if they don't make it to the swap, I can get some from you next year. Would you like the crape myrtle brought to the swap or taken over to the farm? It's in a nice sized pot - if possible I'd like to get the pot back after you plant it but there'd be no hurry on that. Natchez is my fav crape myrtle :-)

Thanks!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frances,

I'll bring that pot back to you at the swap. I am partially writing this to remind myself.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a list of the rooted pomegranate cuttings I can bring to the swap (they are duplicates). If anyone wants one specifically, let me know so I will be sure to bring it. Also, if you happen to know anything about any of them, let me know, please.

1. ---
    2. ---
    3. Kaj-acik-anor
    4. Apseronski krasnyj
    5. Nikitski ranni
    6. Bala Miursal
    7. Afganski
    8. Kazake
    9. ---

1. Dorosht 5 hahanshahi Khoramabad
    2. Entek habi saveh
    3. Agat
  • tlfox
    13 years ago

Kaj-acik-anor, Dorosht 5 hahanshahi Khoramabad, and Agat are not cold hardy according to a local nursery that I frequent. Several workers there are master gardeners - I went to inquire about which ones of these might better serve me here in Chattanooga (as far as tolerance to cold).

If I have a choice, I would rather have one of the cold hardy varieties. Nice selections there Brandon!

BTW - they are telling me that the others that I didn't list are hardy to around -5F, so they should be hardy to zone 6, further north if planted in the proper microclimate.

See you Saturday!

Tiffany

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tiffany,

What source did they use to look those up? There is extremely little info on many of those cultivars, and I am a little skeptical that they even have access to the info. If one of them is a pomegranate enthusiast, that could explain their ability to provide the info (they might have reference material on hand), but otherwise I think they are just blowing smoke. Their lumping all the other cultivars together as "hardy to around -5F" is another red flag for me. I'm at least very curious.

• tlfox
    13 years ago

I'll try to make my way back over there before Saturday and get more information.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES