Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_hobbs_gw

food

Jan_Hobbs
18 years ago

Just a note to remind you about food for the MTPS on Oct 15th. Make sure you can keep it cold or hot until we eat. Also a reminder that in the spring we ran out of meats and drinks. Some of you bring extra tea, sweet and unsweet, or what ever you drink with your meals. (No alcoholic beverages, though.) I have plenty of ice from the ice machine there at the bathhouse.

Everyone always brings such yummy foods, I am looking forward to whatever is brought. Try also to bring serving spoons/forks with your dishes. That would help a lot. I always put my last initial on the back of mine...it eventually washes off, so that doesn't bother me.

Plan to donate $1 for the paper products...Jeff and Lavonne are buying, and it isn't fair for them to have to foot the bill on this.

Those of you that ARE camping, shoot me an email this week, as I will be gone next week, from the 4th -11th. My mom in AZ is turning 95 and we are giving her a big party. Probably the last time in her lifetime we all 7 of us + grandkids, + great grandkids and + great-greats get together.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER on the 15th.

Anyone needing info email Jeff at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net.

Directions can be found at www.buffalocanoeing.com or email me directly.

Jan

Comments (18)

• mari5us
    18 years ago

Hi Jan,
    I'm planning to bring at least one huge crockpot full of chili. Should be the right weather for it. I'm not sure what else I'll be bringing.
    See you soon.
    Marianne

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marianne, chili sounds good. I probably will bring a slow cooker of cowboy baked beans...that always goes good.

Jan

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Marianne, you and that magic crockpot. Does that mean we'll have leftovers later ? LOL
    Whatever you cook turns out yummy. Jan I'll be in touch when I know for sure if I get to come. I've already emailed you about that tough ;o)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Jan, I've forgotten -- will there be electric hookups there?

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Doc there are outlets 30 yards away at the bath house.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    18 years ago

Thanks Jeff!

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

Don't know what I'm bringing, but I'll make sure it's yummy - probably a dessert so I won't have to worry about keeping a dish warm or cold.

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

Does anyone have a special dessert request? I'm open to suggestions.

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Virginia, the Earthquake cake always went well...makes my mouth water to even talk about it.

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

I remember how yummy the Earthquake Cake was, but can't find the recipe. I remember someone posting the recipe a couple of years ago, but it's long gone from this forum. Isn't it a lot like Mississippi Mud Cake? I do have a recipe for that.

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I googled and found this recipe for the Earthquake cake.

Earthquake Cake
    1 C. coconut

1 C. chopped nuts

1 box chocolate cake mix (German Chocolate is really good)

1 8 oz. package cream cheese

1/2 C. margarine or butter (1 stick)

1 t. vanilla

2 C. powdered sugar

Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle nuts and coconut on bottom of pan. Mix cake mix as directed on box. Pour over nuts and coconut. In separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla. Mix well and drop by spoonfuls over batter.

Bake at 350°F. for 50 minutes.

Jan

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

Thanks, that looks easy and delicious!

• hosta_mom
    18 years ago

We are bringing Baked Potato salad, Millionaire Fruit Salad, & a tray of baked Ham.

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Geez thanks Jan, I just gained 10 lbs reading that recipe LOL
    Hosta Mom, that all sounds perfectly yummy !!

• Jan_Hobbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hosta Mom I'll be glad to let you sit at MY table. :) That all sounds great.

Jan

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

Ya'll these food threads are always awful! I get hungry and put on weight just reading them.

• Judithw
    18 years ago

Mississippi Mud Cake sounds better to ME, but I don't like coconut...(*grin*) I'll bring a couple of gallons of tea sweetened with Splenda, some deviled eggs, and whatever I'm inspired to fix the night before. And I'm sure Joe will bring his usual bucket o' chicken from the Colonel's.

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

I'll cook the Earthquake Cake Friday morning and if there's time some Chunky Pecan Pie Bars. I was looking for a recipe tonight and saw a who-knows-how-old clipping taped inside the cover of the cookbook. They're chocolate pecan pie baked in a rectangular pan and cut into bars.

If anyone else wants to make these, let me know and I won't bother, but if nobody offers to, I'd really like to try these. They sound so good.

CHUNKY PECAN PIE BARS

Crust
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar

Filling
    3 large eggs
    3/4 cup corn syrup
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 Tbsp. butter, melted
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 3/4 cups (11.5 oz pkg.) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
    1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9-inch pan.
    Crust: Beat flour, butter, and brown sugar in small mixer bowl until crumbly. Press into pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Filling: Beat eggs, corn syrup, granulated sugar, butter and vanilla in medium bowl with wire whisk. Stir in chunks and nuts. Pour evenly over baked crust. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wore rack. Cut into bars.

Yummmmmmyyyyyy!

Sponsored