Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: white and pink wisteria

Posted by thurston midTN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 15:27

I have hundreds of named bearded iris to choose from if you have rooted starts of pink and/or white wisteria

Thanks,
Neil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: white and pink wisteria

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 20:29

Hey Neil,

There are huge differences in different types of Wisteria. The genus contains about 20 genera and many hybrids and cultivars. They range from monsters that can be difficult to control (both from a vigorous growing and an invasive standpoint) to species and cultivars that aren't even hardy in Tennessee.

Two common types of Wisteria, sinensis and floribunda, are invasive in Tennessee. If you choose these types, you might want to consider a sterile cultivar. They won't add to the invasive problem and will likely put on a better flower display. Wisteria frutescens and macrostachya are well behaved natives that might be better choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: TN-EPPC ... see Wisteria under Rank 2 invasives

o

Hi Brandon-

Thanks for your message. Where and how I grow wisteria, it's easily contained. My current plants I've had for ten years, but I grew up with it.

Neil

o

Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 21:23

What species and variety(ies) do you grow / are you looking for?

o

I have a white blooming plant coming from Alabama. Still looking for one with pink flowers.

The ones I have are the common light purple. One came from the garden of an old plantation before it became a parking lot in the 1960's. The other I bought as white from Home Depot. A few years later when it finally bloomed, it was the same color as the one I have. That's why I'm looking for rooted starts of plants that have bloomed.

I tried to post a picture here, but forgot how. It's so easy to post pictures at Davesgarden.com. Wish Gardenweb would make it easier.

o

Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 16:35

There are a lot of posts on Gardenweb with instructions for posting pics. I will link one below. It's one I picked at random so I'm not sure it's the best (most easily understood) set of instructions, but it looked correct. You can also use one of the Gardenweb Galleries ( http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/galleries/ ). I think there are instructions on those forums, and that may be easier. I have been wanting to type up my own instructions for this and try to make them super simple and straight forward, but haven't taken the time (story of my life).

Here is a link that might be useful: Random Thread Concerning How To Post Pics

o

We have White, Purple, and Pink Wisteria. E-Mail me as to what sizes you are looking for, if interested, and how many.
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Tennessee are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here