Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbatt_gw

Pomegranates?

msbatt
16 years ago

Anyone growing these? And if so, can you tell me how to germinate the seeds?

Comments (6)

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

I have a small "plantation sweet".
    Though pomegranate seeds germinate easily, they may not germinate true to type. To avoid seedling variation, it is reccmended that selected cultivars are usually reproduced by means of hardwood cuttings 10 to 20 inches long. Treatment with 50 ppm. indole-butyric acid and planting at a moisture level of 15.95 percent greatly enhances root development and survival. The cuttings are set in beds with one or two buds above the soil for one year and then transplanted to the final destination.the plants are cut back to 24 to 30 inches in height, and after they branch out, the lower branches are pruned to provide a clear main stem. Because fruits are borne only at the tips of new growth, it is recommended that, for the first three years, the branches be judiciously shortened annually to encourage the maximum number of new shoots on all sides, prevent straggly development and achieve a strong, well-framed plant. After the third year, only suckers and dead branches are removed.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I'm not growing any, but know that they are very easy to grow from seed. You should get 85% or better germination by simply cleaning them well and planting. Keeping them above 70 degrees will be beneficial. No stratification/vernalization is required. There have been studies about increasing pomegranate seed germination rates by stratification, but there is really no need to go to any extra trouble. If you want 10 trees, plant at least 12 seeds.

If you are planning to grow the pomegranates for the fruit, you might want to consider obtaining a cultivar. Seedlings can vary and may be of poor quality for eating. I googled "pomegranate cultivar" and came up with links listing different cultivars. Here are two links:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pomegranate.html

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Sandsquid's post didn't show up when I entered mine. If you decide to go with cultivars and grow your own from cuttings, that would be good info. The only thing else you would need is a source for cuttings.

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

Next fall you can have cuttings from the 6 varieties of Poms I and a good friend are planted this season. Between our two houses, we will have quite the orchard!-)

He and his family eat them.... So does my family.
    I just want to make wine from them!-)

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

Pom juice is THE best marinade for all beef, pork, seafood and poultry. There is an enzyme in pomegranate juice acts as a natural tenderizer. Somehow it penetrates easier and deeper than any other kind of juice therefore your other herbs and spices are spread evenly through the meat. We also use it with the injectors too. I'll never use anything else again. The downside is that it stains for good! It makes grape juice and walnut stains look like wimps.

Pomegranate juice can also offer a wide protection against cardiovascular diseases. It contains a super-antioxidant, a flavonoid, which is much more powerful than normal antioxidants. Studies have found it to have at least three times the antioxidant of other fruit juices. It is also quite high in potassium and fiber, and contains vitamin C and niacin.
    There are many great benefits from taking pomegranate juice. Thinning the blood, raising the good cholesterol (HDL cholesterol), which controls the free radicals that can be harmful to your body. It reduces fatty deposits on artery walls. It also lowers blood sugar and reduces cell damage. It also slows cartilage deterioration and osteoarthritis.
    It may prevent the return of prostate cancer after surgery. It also helps in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. It may also help people with anxiety and insomnia. It has been used to treat inflammation, sore throats and rheumatism. The caveat is that it may interact badly with some medications.

• msbatt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cuttings would be great! Originally, I was just thinking of growing them for the flowers, but now that I've actually eaten one...(*grin*)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES