Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

2011 Ijams Nature Center Seed Swap

brandon7 TN_zone7
13 years ago

The 2011 Ijams Nature Center Seed Swap will be Saturday, January 29, from 10 am until 2 pm at the Visitor's Center.

Some years, the seed swap has had some neat stuff, other years it's been less interesting. Last year Ijams bought a considerable amount of commercial wildflower seeds to give away at the event. There is no charge for the swap or for the seeds. Everyone is welcome and you don't have to bring seeds to get seeds, although seed donations (as well as bulbs, small plants, extra gardening tools, etc) are welcome/appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 Ijams Nature Center Seed Swap

Comments (10)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Brandon, what kinds of seed do they offer?? Also what kind of seed are they wanting??

I am addicted to saving seed I have a ton of seed I can send.

As a matter of fact I am in the process of offering a sasbe for anything on my list. If it doesn't have (spoken for) beside it I am still looking for homes for the seed.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

If we are talking about natives here, I got a stash over here, LOL, that I do not list. So please let me know what kind of stuff we are talking about.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think there is any guideline as to what kinds of seeds are swapped, which is a little surprising since Ijams is big into preserving nature and someone could offer something as invasive as kudzu. I've never seen seeds there for anything that I knew was invasive, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. It's a very loosely organized event.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ok give me a few days to think on this.

Let me ask you if I send you some native seed and postage for the return you think you could pick me up some natives?? Or is it more unorganized than that and there is really no telling what I may get back??

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn,
    I'm not even sure I can go, so I wouldn't be able to swap seeds for anyone else.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ok well I started thinking on it and that would be very difficult for someone to pick out seeds for another person anyway. I sometimes get these ideas in my head and don't think them all the way through.

Anywho if you want some seed to take feel free to look at my list and just email me about it. If it doesn't have spoken for beside it I still have plenty of the seeds.

That offer goes to anyone else interested also.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just thought I'd send this back up to the top once again. The seed "swap" is tomorrow!

• evasage
    13 years ago

Just because this subject is about seeds, I was wondering if anyone received seed catalogs this year. This is the first year I have not received a single seed catalog and one of my friends mentioned she did not receive any this year either. I can understand why I didn't get any because I have not ordered for several years but I always enjoyed looking through them.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Eva, I haven't seen you on here for a while. Hope everything is going well for you all, and I hope you will be able to make it to the spring swap. We're still trying to get things together (it's been a challenge this year), but the date is firm. The spring swap will be at New Harvest Park on Saturday, May 28. Setup will be at 9:30am, swapping will begin at 10:00am, lunch will be at 11:30am, and a presentation will be at 12:00 (all times subject to change).

We got quite a few seed catalogs this year. If you don't order regularly, you may have to re-ask.

• evasage
    13 years ago

Thanks for the swap information. We will certainly try to be there. I always enjoy the event. Thanks for all your work on the arrangements!!