Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagegirl_tn

Early MTPS scouting for plants

cottagegirl_tn
14 years ago

I really, really need some pachysandra! I wonder if anyone has an abundance that I could work out a trade with?? I have to ask these things early when they pop into my mind.

Jenn F.

Comments (13)

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

Pachysandra is very easy to propagate. Even if you have to buy one you can spread it around fairly easily. I'm disappointed that the garden redo I did for my parents had variegated pachysandra and I never took cuttings, they forgot to water it and it is no more. Great plant though!

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

I was on vacation during those freezing temps in early January and came back to ice on the water in my sunroom. Needless to say, I lost most of my houseplants.

A few plants that are the most important to me to replace are "Vicks plant" that may be a fuzzy oregano cousin, that cool starfish succulent, and African violets.

Just a start or cutting of any would be appreciated.

So much for those cool coleus I was wintering over to share at the spring swap!

See you in May!
    Evelyn

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Evelyn, I can bring you a leaf from an African violet if you want. This one is solid white and soooo healthy and beautiful.

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Sorry Jen, I don't have any pachysandra. How is the long driveway coming? Anything else you are looking for? Evelyn, I don't have any African violets but might be able to bring some other varieties of houseplants if you are interested. Rhonda

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Evelyn: I have an insanely healthy purple-ish African Violet I can bring so you can get a cutting off it (I don't know how to properly get one off an AV) or I have one that I nursed back to health that is doing great and just hasn't expanded enough yet to flower. Let me know if you're interested! =)

Here's a pic of the AV that's doing awesome! --> Picture Here

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Evelyn, If the star fish plant you lost is the Huernia Schneideriana (Red Dragon Flower), I have several started and will bring them to the Spring Swap. So sorry about your plants :(
    Also rooting some Episcia Cupreata (Flame Violet/Carpet Plant). Wanda

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

Any of you who are kind enough to offer the African violet, a leaf is enough. That's why we love them.

Anything fun would be appreciated. I was just trying to ask for the more common things, not being too greedy. I also lost my meyer lemon, 2 orchids, a fuschia, etc. I was especially bummed by all the tender succulents I lost since I had been "rescuing" them from floors and shelves for quite a while.

Thank goodness it was a great trip!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Evelyn: I'll bring the AV to the Spring swap so you can get a leaf or two off it to start you some more. =)

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

Hey Evelyn,Im sorry to hear about your plants.I have several african violet leaves for you and I also have a meyer lemon that I started from seed last year.Its a baby,but your welcome to it.Just let me know....Velvet

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Ooooooooo...Vels: I want to put my name on the list for a Meyer Lemon if you have any left, please! =)

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

What kind of coleus was it you were overwinter?

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

Dave,

I had brought in several coleus with fuchsia in them. The coleus look-alike, I forget is it Mozilla perilla or something. Many I am having 'winter brain". There was another fuchsia colored one that I am thinking "gizzard" for some reason. Too much allergy meds for too long.

Evelyn

• msbatt
    14 years ago

I think that's "Magilla Perilla", and the 'gizzard' thing isn't really a coleus, but Iresine, commonly called 'Chicken Gizzard'.

But I could be totally wrong. (*grin*)

Sponsored