Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Currant variety reccomendations please

Posted by sandsquid 7a Memphis (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 08 at 12:13

After tasting the early results from the Vintners harvest black currant, we have decided that we simply must (no pun intended) add some currants to the garden.
I've been prowling the 'net all weekend and to be quite honest, and bewildered by the sheer number of varieties available

What I would like is a few black, red, and white that are good candidates for wine-making and jelly/jam/preserves, will do well in Zone 7a memphis, and are not _too_ invasive.
not too tall, good yield and easy harvest.

Below is only a partial list of varieties I have considered.

**Black Currants**
Ben Lomond
Ben Sarek
Consort--Kerry
Crandall
Crusader
Titania
Baldwin,.
Boskoop Giant
Seabrook's Black
Victoria
Favorit
Topsy
Coronet
Champion
Rovada
Swedish Black

**Red Currants**
Red Lake
Jonkeer Van Tets
Maraton
Hron
Pink Champagne

**White Currants**
Primus
White Imperial Currants
Blanka

Your input is much appreciated.

Trades of Currant cuttings for Fig and Elderberry cuttings always welcome

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Currant variety reccomendations please

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 24, 08 at 14:46

Sandsquid,
Unfortunately I have no useful input on this, but would very much appreciate you posting any conclusions you come to here. I have spent the last month studying apples. It seemed like it would be fairly straight forward, but the more I study, the more I realize that there is a HUGE amount of information to analyze regarding apples. I am in the process of making a large spreadsheet with a lot of information from multiple sources. Tons of the information I find is contradicted by other sources. I am going to try to take an "average" of the different conclusions about each aspect of each variety. Even the subject of rootstocks is unbelievably complex. I anticipate being able to pick out which varieties and which rootstock I will choose soon, but I still have a lot of work to go. If you are doing anything like this for currants, I'd sure appreciate the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here