Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burwoodbelle

4ft.redwood tree

burwoodbelle
15 years ago

We were travling in California 2007. We purched a small Redwood.We wintered it inside last winter,Its about 4ft tall.Will it winter outside this year.I am just outside Nashville/south.

PAT L.

Comments (3)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

What kind of redwood did you get? Sequoia sempervirens (Coast Redwood), Sequoiadendron giganteum (Sierra Redwood), or Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood)?

• burwoodbelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brandon, We got the Sequoia semervirens.So do I bring it in or leave it outside.Temp.for tomorrow night is 3 degress.

Thanks P.L.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Sequoia sempervirens can handle temperatures down in the single digits once established, but I would bring it into an unheated garage or shed the next couple of nights if it's in a pot. The root system is more sensitive to cold temperatures than the upper parts of the tree. Leaving it outside in a pot when temperatures are in the single digits would be similar to exposure to temperatures in the negative single digits or maybe even negative teens.

Don't bring it in to a heated environment though. Bringing it into a heated house could cause shock. You can leave it inside the shed or garage for a couple of days without light without any problem. It is semi dormant anyway right now.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz