Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edb2n_gw

Will my roses survive?

Evan
15 years ago

I've been growing roses for a few years now, and I don't really do anything to winterize them. They're always fine; very little dieback. However, it will be much colder here tonight than it's been since I started growing roses (low is 2). Am I out of luck? Should I run out and pile leaves on them or something tonight?

Comments (2)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Sorry, I don't have much experience with roses, so couldn't give you any advise that wasn't readily available through google. Looks like many of the rose growers on here are hibernating. What type of roses are you growing and what did you decide to do?

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Your roses' survival will depend on several factors:
    Are they grafted and if so, is the bud union exposed...up in the air? This isn't good, because any year old canes coming from that bud union (especially those that came out last fall) may have been killed. If they appear black in a week or two, take them off as cleanly as possible. You don't want fungal problems from there spreading into the bud union.
    If they are modern roses, even if their bud union is in the ground, you'll probably loose fall growth.
    If they are own root roses, then they'll come back just fine.
    If they are cold hardy, they'll come back just fine.

It's for freezes like this one, that a lot of us don't fall fertilize our roses. We don't want the bushes pushing up new growth late, only to loose it to winter.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths