Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maemae0312

Memphis Plant Swap

maemae0312
14 years ago

I know it is cold out there and no one is thinking much of gardening but can we start talking date??? Since I changed positions at work I am competing with a bunch of schedule hounds for the primo days off, and would like to make sure I don't work the night before They are already working on the April/May calenders...........y'all don't want to see Mary all tired and grumpy do ya?

Hope to see everyone soon!!!

Comments (14)

• mstagjd120
    14 years ago

No sleepy grumpy Mary! Last year it was the first Saturday in May, so how about May 1 for this year?

Stay warm,
    Jennifer

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds good to me. Anybody seen John lately?

• leighmac
    14 years ago

My feet are cold! I like May 1st too!

• golfngardennut
    14 years ago

I am new in the area and this would be my first swap, so I know my opinion is not very important, but first weekends suck for me... I really REALLY want to go - what about the last Sat in Apr? Willing to work for it!! lol

G'nut

• mstagjd120
    14 years ago

Gnut, we'd love to have to you come to the swap. For me, either weekend is good. What about the rest of the crowd? anyone have suggestions for alternative dates?

Did anyone in Memphis lose plants after last weekend's cold, cold weather? I lost several of the perennials I'd brought from the old garden when I moved. Sigh.

Mary - are you winter sowing?

-Jennifer

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    14 years ago

either weekend is ok for me too. Jennifer, I have only done 3 containers so far but plan on working on my wintersowing this week end.

Mary

• judydean
    14 years ago

Sorry to be so late chiming in, just got my computer out of the shop. Either weekend looks good to me too! Don't know what I've lost yet - am wondering about the beautiful ginger I got at the swap a few years ago - hope there will be replacements at the new swap if needed. Also need some Porterweed. Judy

• leighmac
    14 years ago

I'm cool with either weekend as well. Judy Dean, I have three pieces of porterweed in a jar of water that haven't died yet! I have you in mind for at least one of them. I bought two chelone this past October and they are black and crunchy! I am/was hoping to get out today to survey the damage. I hope I haven't lost those gingers I got from Jackie at the swap, but I am resigned....what are you wintersowing right now Mary? what soil are you using?

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't gotten started good on my wintersowing something happens everytime I say I am going to get started. But I think this weekend is going to be the weekend. Don't really know what I am I doing, just going to reach in my seed box and see what I come out with. But I do know some variegated Kiss me over the garden gate, cleome, foxgloves, poppies. I am just using regular potting mix, that is what I used last year.

Mary

• golfngardennut
    14 years ago

What frost date are you guys using? I am in Ripley and it appears to be borderline 6/7, is that correct? And I am STOKED about starting the Master Gardeners course in Brownsville on 4FEB!!!

g'nut

• golfngardennut
    14 years ago

Ok, no responses... who do I have to bribe and how to get the plant swap the last weekend in Apr? lol

g'nut

• judydean
    14 years ago

I googled 'frost date' and went to Victoria seed site. Memphis is 4/8 and Martin is 4/21. Memphis is borderline zone 7b and most of the rest of west TN is 7a. Nashville is 6. I love your tomatoes, but am not sure where Ripley is. See you at the swap. Last weekend in April is not out of question. Everyone will chime in, be patient, grasshopper. Judy

• golfngardennut
    14 years ago

Patience is not my virtue...but I will really try hard :) I found the national climate center has data for different stations... for my 38063 area code it gave info for the 3 closest stations... I am about midway between Memphis and Jackson.

Info: Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from November 11 through March 24.

Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from November 29 through March 8.

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from April 8 through October 26.

Your frost-free growing season is around 232 days.

And of course, now, I cannot find the link :) lol

g'nut

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think most have said either week end is fine. Fine for me too, I will try to make sure I don't work the Fri night before either. If I have to I will still make the swap, someone just pour diet coke down me!!! Has anyone heard from John to make sure we have a place and he gets the date approved?

Mary