Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopin4rain

Flowers that bloom in June!

hopin4rain (7A TN)
13 years ago

I am looking for flowers that will bloom this June. Annuals or perennials are both fine. (I know a lot of perennials will not bloom the first year). I am planting a lot of flowers for my wedding. The date is June 25th, 2011. I absolutely LOVE growing flowers from seeds and gardening and I feel like if I can get them to bloom then they will be an extra special touch to the wedding. (If they don't bloom I have a back up plan, but I would enjoy growing my own). Do any of you have any tips for what to grow, when to plant it, and tips for getting them to bloom well? I am looking for red and dark purple flowers. I live about 30 minutes North of the TN-AL state line. I live on 20 acres so space is not an issue. Our entire property is full sun. This is what I have come up with so far.

Zinnias- (Plant a batch once a week from April 1st to June 1st)

Snapdragons- (I saw that these bloom all spring. How long does it typically take them to bloom when started from seed?)

Poppies/Peony Poppies- (Sow in February for May-June blooms)

Delphinium/Larkspur- (Start seed batch indoors once a week March 1st-March 31st)

Sweet Peas- (Plant a batch once a week from April 15th- May 31st)

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! If you disagree with any of the planting times I put please tell me. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Comments (3)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

You could winter sow pretty much all of those. Winter sowing produces healthier plants verses sowing indoors. Also you do not have to harden off your seedlings and you don't have to worry about damp off.

Snapdragons are a cool season plant, they will bloom in the spring and sometimes in the fall depending on what type you are growing. They are like pansies and viola's when the heat starts to move in they will fade. Very few would last in our June heat if any at all.

Poppies may last till late june but usually they have all faded by mid june.

There are several perennial flowers that actually bloom first year from seed. Gailardia is one, they are great and so drought tolerant. There is a burgundy gailardia that actually not only is close to the red you are looking for but it also will come true from seed.

A few others for the red are, Cardinal flower, Indian paintbrush, coreopsis lime rock ruby, Monarda or Red bee balm, mexican hat, scarlet flax, prairie smoke, Aquilegia Canandensis.

Some for the dark purple are verbena bonaries (I think I spelled that right) whipples pentesmon (uggh another spelling ??), wild blue indigo, some types veronica, some types of verbascum, laurens poppy, purple gooseneck loosestrife, Fritillaria Persica.

There is a few choices for you. Though I am sure some others will toss up some of their favorites as well.

• hopin4rain (7A TN)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I noticed that a lot of the plants that you mentioned are Perennials. I know you said that Gailardia blooms the first year, but do all of the rest of the perrenials you named bloom in the first year also?
    Thank you for your help!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Let me gander back through that list, ha ha I have forgot what all I suggested, LOL.

Columbine probably not, verbascum is a biennial that will bloom on the second, fritillaria may take about 3 years, the wild blue indigo may also take 3 years if I am not mistaken, if not 3 then at least 2.

Another to add to your purple would be closed bottle genitan. Some salvias like salvia blue bedder and salvia victoria may be considered that dark purple color. The salvias bloom first year the genitian may I am not sure but I would think it would bloom on the second, but don't quote me on that one.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus