Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
del5_gw

Nashville in mid-march

del5
12 years ago

I will be visiting the area and was wondering if there'll be much in bloom that time of year or if it is a bit early. I don't know how many days I will have, and want to spend it wisely, so don't know if I should plan on visiting gardens such as Cheekwood or stick to other touristy sites. Thank you for any help.

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I hope I don't get slapped silly from a loyal Cheekwood groupie, but, when I went last year, I wasn't all that impressed with Cheekwood. If I was in the neighborhood anyway and the cost of admission was less than the current $12/adult plus $3/vehicle, I might have thought it was OK. As it was, I figure they owe me about $10.

It's not like it was awful, but I've been to many gardens that blow Cheekwood way out of the water and don't cost a dime for admission.

• TommyNashville
    12 years ago

Cheekwood is in kind of a cold hole anyway so they're blooming might be later. Unfortunately, we are experiencing some minor blooming in the Nashville area already in January because of the temperatures on and off in the 60's so I hope they don't get zapped too badly by the remaining freezes. I can say, as a hardy palm enthusiast, that Cheekwood has some Sabal minor palms planted- so that is a plus.

You might just get a better show driving around the Hillsboro/Brentwood areas of Nashville and look at the gorgeous homes and landscaping.

Also, GO TO OPRYLAND HOTEL!

• del5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for your opinions/ideas. Very appreciated. The Opryland Hotel Gardens sound wonderful and we planned on visiting there on the day of the Show we are going to. We are focusing on music during our stay so I think I will skip Cheekwood and hopefully will get a sampling of the flora on our drives/walks around the area. I don't want to try to do too much, and skimp on everything.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Native Nashvillian may be able to give you some other horticulturally interesting sites if you are interested. Come on Nashvillians, what's botanically interesting there?

• TommyNashville
    12 years ago

I really need to get on here and check back more often. For some reason I just assume all the posts I respond on come to my email ha ha. Anyway, Nashville needs a beautiful, city botanical garden. Cheekwood is so far away from everything. There is the Bicentennial Mall (outdoor) that is downtown and they have a native flora walk (region by region) through Tennessee. There are some nice Needle palms planted there as well. It's a nice place to visit and I think that in March there will be some nice blooms. I hope you have a wonderful trip! I would also recommend Music Row and the Broadway/2nd Avenue area downtown by the river. You will hear music to your heart's content down there.

• del5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tommy - we planned on doing alot of walking including the Bicentennial Mall, so hopefully this warm winter will extend into the spring and make for a great trip.

• tntom
    12 years ago

Everything bloom wise depends on the weather. We often have very warm spells that cause trees and flowers to bloom early only to have the blooms frozen/killed with a very cold night. Dogwoods and Azaleas do not usually bloom until april.
    Our average last frost is April 6, and April is when evrything really begins here garden related. If you visit the Bicentennial Mall you should also visit the farmers market next door. You might see something interesting.

As far as music we are not just country. Some call it "bad rock". Look at Nashville Scene mag online. Pretty much any kind of music you want. A few excellent venues. The Ryman should have some excellent talent, and for many not to be missed. The Shermerhorn synphony Center is a realitively new auditorium with varied entertainment.

Cheekwood is certainly not the Biltmore(most gardens aren't), but it is a garden consisting of about 50-60 acres, and there are many garden activities there year round. They cater to garden clubs and plant societies.

you might research the Belle Meade Mansion and the Parthenon(well, I guess it really isn't THE parthenon). A driving tour through Belle Meade which is the old wealty section of town might be enjoyable if you like that sort of thing.

Enjoy your trip to the best city in the South.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    12 years ago

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Ellington Agricultural Center yet. They always have beautiful gardens & it's free! I love to go there sometimes just to get away, lay in the grass & enjoy the peace.

• del5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just thought I'd post a follow-up. We had a great time last week. We were impressed: everyone was friendly and helpful. The city was clean and so much music to listen to. Loved the honky tonks and the quality of music we heard. Did the Opry, Opryland, CM Hall of Fame museum, Studio B, Parthenon. The Bicentennial Mall was impressive with all the granite and info. And redbuds are my favorite tree, so we lucked out on the timing of our visit that way! They were beautiful. We'll have to come back another time, some early summer and focus on gardens. We have crazy weather up here in Wisconsin, also, and can't imagine there being more cold weather. Would love to have this kind of spring every year.

Sponsored