Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for ideas

Posted by donna_stevens z6b TN (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 27, 07 at 18:14

I have one bed on the most western side of my property that has been mulched but still dries out quickly. Would like ideas on what to plant there, it is in full sun.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for ideas

Hi Donna,
Most of the flower beds I have are in full sun and eventhough I keep them mulched they get very dry in the summer. On top of that I have this nice Tennessee clay soil that's full of rocks. Some of the plants I grow are iris, daylillys, lambs ear, coneflowers, portulaca, orange butterfly weed, anise hyssop, blue cornflower, datura, lemon balm, monarda, basil, shasta daisies, orange gerber daisies, purple and white liatris, zinnia, soapwort, red salvia, and some ornamental peppers. The plants I grow are mostly just plain varieties but can withstand the hot dry summers and I don't usually have to water them. I hope this helps.
Jim

o

I also grow coneflowers, lambs ear, iris, shasta daisies, daturas, daylilies and rudbeckia in my sunny dry beds.
i have stopped trying to grow zinnias,it seems they attract japanese beetles in my area.

i have stated adding a few scoops of water retaining powder to the soil every spring and it seems the plants, especially the daylilies, don't look so stressed in the heat of the summer.

o

Thanks Jim,
That's a pretty good list, I have some you mentioned,just need to move them, but may try some of the others in that area. I live in a hollow and all the rocks have settled down here, lol.

o

I just thought of a few more that grow in full sun here. They are lantana, stargazer lily, sweet annie, snow on the mountain, blue butterfly pea, red hot poker and lunaria.
Jim

o

Purple verbena???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here