bigorangevol
17 years ago

SATURDAY, MAY 19th 2007

3 months, 3 weeks and 5 days

or

16 weeks and 4 days

or

116 days

Any way you cut it, the MTPS will be here before you know it!

Mark your calendars now and block out that day!! Write it down on a Post-it note and stick it somwewhere as a reminder. Just don't forget or you'll regret it until October and here are a few reasons why:

If you have Brugmansia, want Brugs or want to learn about Brugmansia from our expert lecturers; make sure you come.

If you want to take payback pictures of Joe Weaver rather than the other way around; PLEASE BRING A CAMERA!

If you would like to swap some of your plants for a myriad of wonderful plants you don't have; make sure you come.

If you have never been to a plant swap that has thousands upon thousands of plants; make sure you come.

If you are new to GardenWeb and have never experienced a plant swap; make sure you come.

If you enjoy the outdoors in 70 degree weather beside a quiet river; make sure you come.

If you want to spend the day with the nicest people on this Earth; make sure you come.

If you want to learn things about plants that you never knew; make sure you come.

If you enjoy hanging out with like-minded plantaholics; make sure you come.

If you love awesome food and its consumption; make sure you come.

If you want to camp and canoe on the scenic Buffalo River; call Jan.

If you just want to see me make a fool of myself again; well here's your opportunity.

Comments (108)

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

April: Yep! That looks like the fructicosa!

Here are the ones I used to have.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

Storming like crazy here tonight. What next?

Anyone bringing house plants? Or pond plants? I could use both..... Having to spend more time inside is renewing my inside gardening fuel. Also building the bigger fish pond/fountian is giving me a need for water pretties.

I am working on the bamboo chimes. If I can not come(hubby sick), I will see if katwoman will be sweet enough to drag them to you for me.That is if I can track her down again for us.lol

I will be outside looking over my yard again when the rain lets up to see what is saved.

Anyone want some peppermint? I have tons to share.

• irisaddict
    16 years ago

I'll add what I am bringing after I pot it up but I did want to mention that I need birdhouse gourds for martins. I also need some anacharis for the pond. If anyone has any extra water hyacinths by then, that would be nice too.

Thanks!
    Evelyn

• ctack2
    16 years ago

Can I bring a table with a sign that says "DONATIONS ACCEPTED TO PLANT IN MY NAKED YARD" if I promise to save seeds and bring plants next year? lol. Oh, I'd bring food too!

I hope to find something that I can bring to the swap, but if not, I'll prepare for it and be there next year! Have a great swap day everyone.

Carol B
    Murfreesboro Area

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want everyone on this forum to be at the MTPS regardless of what you have to bring. We have never made anyone feel bad just because they didn't bring much and we never will. Everyone has to get started somewhere and the MTPS is just as good a place as any! You guys were so generous to Lavonne and I when we were getting started and so many others have racked-up that had nothing to swap their first time. Let's get extra busy and bring all that we can for those that are in need. There will always be more of us that have tons of stuff than those who have very little so let's share our hearts out.

I know that last Spring was an exception to the rule (beat me up if you want to) but I learned my lesson and that WILL NOT be repeated. We are keeping this a TN Forum/friends/word-of-mouth swap from now on. I never want to lose the intimacy that we have, although you gotta admit 400+ people was kind of neat in a perverse way. See, I can actually laugh about it now. :-)

I'm potting up stuff that hasn't bloomed yet and I don't have a clue what color Iris and Daylilies we will be bringing but hey, there are some folks out there in need so we'll haul it down anyway.

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

Well it's nice to read that, but I'm still just downright depressed after starting everything up with plenty of time, taking extra care to protect against frosts, etc. and then BAM! despite my efforts, the one time I have no choice in being away for a few days, the temperatures drop way way below freezing and kills everything right down in the ground.

I can re-start things from seed but plants will only be seedlings or still germinating (since some things take longer than others)... be honest here folks, would YOU have any interest in newly (re)started seedlings or things that hadn't yet germinated if they were at least labeled??? In light of having to re-start the response is what will determine whether I even try to come. If those more fortunate with the weather we've had are willing to trade for truly baby-plants, then I'll come. (and try to put together a "catalog" with photos of what plants should mature into, bloom images, etc.) But if not, then it would just be less disappointing across the board to just continue with trades through this year and either go to the Fall swap or not trust stupid weather forecasters and start things next Spring without taking them out to harden off before the swap...

Or maybe it would be easier to just bring cataloged seeds so people could start their own and seed packets not take up as much space for travel to their new homes?

I'm so utterly bummed... all those weeks of work flushed away in one fell swoop... turns my stomach... almost as bad as the early freeze last year that wiped out so much of my collection. How depressing.

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Hermit...everyone is going to be in the same boat as you are...start your plants and bring them...that is what everyone is going to have to do...WE WANT YOU AT THE SWAP no matter how big your plants are.

Jan

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ONE MONTH and counting!!!

As I suspected, the gloom-n-doom wasn't nearly as bad as we all thought. A bunch of our stuff is already back. Some things are still suffering a bit but I don't think that we lost anything completely. So in the space of four weeks everything should be back to normal.

I don't care what you do or don't have to bring...just come! I'd be more than happy to hook-up and hang-out with you guys twice a year even if we weren't swapping plants!

• moveto05
    16 years ago

TOTAL newbie here. Just moved to an acre covered w/various inorganic "weed deterents" (black plastic, clear plastic, and 2 types of landscape cloth!). I have nothing but a struggling lilac (how does a lilac struggle?) and a sore back. But I'm working on my plan for the "estate" (ha!) & have discovered my true passion for gardening...to the dismay of my hubbie. WHAT HAPPENS IN THE FALL W/TN GARDENERS? We are near Nashville.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have the Fall MTPS!

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

The fall swap will be Oct 20th. Mark your calender now.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can you believe that we are just a scant three weeks and four days from the swap? I'm really starting to get ramped-up!!!

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Now its 3 weeks...are you ready?????

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• andi956
    16 years ago

Hey...I'm new, too! I started a bunch of seedlings, but they bit it in the freeze. (I tried to save them).

Honestly...how weird is it to show up and not have anything to swap?

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't sweat it Andi!!! Jan said for you to come so you had better not hurt her feelings. :-)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

2 weeks and 4 days

17 days, 12 hours

420 hours

IT'S CRUNCH TIME!!!

Ya'll better get busy.

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Last spring we had the swap out on the creek...WE WILL BE BACK UNDER THE TREES IN THE CAMPGROUND BY THE RIVER THIS YEAR...so don't you miss out on all the fun!!!!!!!!!

Jan

• lovehydrangeas
    16 years ago

Another newbie here! I have been lurking and trying to get to the swap for 3 years and this year I finally will make it! Looking forward to meeting people at the swap, camping out and trading!

Lisalimey - I would love some chocolate mint, see if I have anything you would like to trade for.

Issol - I have tons of oak tree seedings, I'll save some if you would like them. What kind of rocks do you have? We are building stacked stone walls at our house & I'm always looking for good rocks!

Akota Dawn - Can you put my name on 1 or 2 of the bamboo windchimes if I have something you want to trade for? I'm also dying for ferns to put in our very very shady backyard.

Msbatt - I have yellow daylillies if you want them!

See you at the river! Emmy

I HAVE FOR TRADE:

Blackberry Lilly seeds
    Zinnia seeds - tall and multi colored
    Golden Rain Trees - seeds
    3 yr old Oak Tree seedling
    Bearded Iris (I don't know what colors these particular ones are - yellow or purple probably)
    Rose of Sharon (Althea) 3 yrs old volunteer plants - purple
    Yellow Daylillies
    Pennyroyal
    Bamboo plants (very tall and spreads! Not clumping version!!)
    Bamboo stakes for arbors, teepees, fences, etc.
    4 O'Clock bulbs/plants
    Lily of the Valley
    4 ft wide and tall boxwood bush (you come get it in Hendersonville)

I'M LOOKING FOR:

Any type of hosta
    Any type of shade plants
    Trilliums
    Ferns
    Bleeding Hearts
    Coral Bells (Heuchera)
    Bergenia
    Columbine
    Hydrangeas
    Some climbing vines (sun/shade)
    Mondo Grass

My email is emmylance at hotmail.com if you want to email me.

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Can you believe only 2 weeks from today!!!! ARE YOU READY???

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Guys if you need any info this week holler at Jan. Lavonne and I are going to be out-of-pocket until Friday. Sorry.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is my last post until Friday evening.
    (Hey, I heard that; stop the applause!)

If you aren't ready today and have everything potted-up then you should be horse-whipped!
    I'm going to try and get my stuff done this afternoon. :-)

We're looking at 4 days and 21 1/2 hours from starting the spring MTPS swap.
    It's on top of us for real now!

Lavonne and I can't wait to see all you guys!!!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I have totally lost my mind. I had in my head that today was the 14th. I hate getting old!!!

• katzswoman
    16 years ago

Hey Guys,
    Honestly it wasn't so bad last year when I came to the swap with nothing to share, these folks don't mind......I have some bad news though....I've been potting for weeks and I will not be able to make it....Sorry Atoka Dawn I won't be able to haul for you.......I have prior commitments that I can't undo. I will miss all of you and any new plants I would have taken home.......The good news is that I will have twice as much to share come fall. I so looked forward to my son meeting you all and my new honey as well. I have several plants and seeds put back for people that asked for them last year.....but a couple of months will not change that. Hope you all have a good Swap.......As Jan says' see you at the river come fall.
    Martha

• lisalimey
    16 years ago

Greetings everyone, excited about the swap. So far I have
    chocolate mint
    mallow
    evening primrose
    coreopsis
    sweet Autumn clematis
    muscodine vine
    plum tree
    pimento pepper
    and then I cleaned out the pond last weekend and I have
    lizard tail and some water grasses I dont know the name of.
    and oh yes, how could I forget,.... monkey grass!

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Martha, I'm sorry that you won't get to the swap...but see you in Oct.

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

lisalimey: Oooh! Can I lay claim to one or two of the muscadines? I should have the following. (Now that I have some idea.)

Double Purple Datura
    Mole Beans (Castor Beans)
    Hyacinth Bean Vine
    Morning Glories (Mt. Fuji Pink/Blizzard Mutation)
    Coral Touch-Me-Nots
    Assorted Tomatoes
    A few Red Bee Balm and maybe a few poppies

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

ARE YOU READY??????????

1 WEEK AND 2 DAYS?

Got your food all lined up? Plants ready?

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just got back home! Man it's great to get away but even better to come home.

I don't normally give props and pub to anything (other than the MTPS) but we had the most wonderful cabin at Dale Hollow this week!!! We were 12 miles from Pickett State Park and 25 miles from Big South Fork. Granted, we couldn't get a cell for 12 miles from our cabin but that turned out to be a really good thing. The place was immaculate, three stories, two bedroom, 2 1/2 baths, Jacuzzi tub in the Master Bath, Hot tub, satellite TV, wrap-around deck, upper deck on the third floor, completely furnished with everything and all we had to bring were towels and food; $100 a night. Three miles from the marina was a big plus too. The area in those mountains was so secluded and peaceful it was ridiculous. I don't think there was another person for a half mile of us. Lavonne and I were blown away. This is between Livingston and Jamestown and the place was called Dale Hollow Cabin Fever. If it sounds like something that you might like, look 'em up on the internet. They really treated us like kings! Did I mention that it's only 2 hours and 15 minutes from Nashville?

Anyway, we are rested and primed for the MTPS.

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Can you believe...only 1 WEEK till the swap. Can't wait to see all you guys. Right now the weather forecast looks good for it.

Jeff glad you and Lavonne had such a good time.

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, grandmothers, and any women or young ladies who have the maternal instinct active or previously active in caring for children, the elderly, disabled, infirm, AND ANIMALS!

I haven't been online at all in weeks now really but I figured I'd best get back here to formally say:
    I WILL BE THERE Saturday the 19th! (barring any transportation issues or heavy rain) That's my plan anyway. I've been in such a terrible funk with no plants "up" to size for swapping, but I realized that it was likely more my PTSD getting the better of me with the prospect of a "social gathering"... so I'll be trade-size-packeting up seeds this week in preparation and getting some other stuff together, like some peat pellets (new, not used hehe) that might be of use for trading if no seeds I bring are of interest to anyone. And looking around to see what else I have that while not a seed or plant, is "gardening" related. I hope I have something of interest for folks!

I *think* I am going to make some General Tsao (sweet & spicy) chicken for the food part - since there's no way to reheat stuff, I figured this would be a good choice since it's a "meal" thing but IMO equally good "hot" or "cold" or in between... And I'm considering/contemplating instead of or in addition to the General Tsao, maybe a stuffed pasta "thing"... maybe a rice dish... I'm in debate on whether to make up some iced tea with Stevia (instead of sugar) for "sweet tea" - are there enough people that would be interested in this sugar-alternative either because they are counting calories, diabetic, try to avoid refined sugar(s), or would just like to try Stevia as a sweetener? Let me know!

What I really could use, is if someone could email me privately to point me in the direction of a direct url to where there's already a list of what people are bringing? I'm not getting online enough (still w/o my own pc or laptop at this point) or have enough time to go searching on my own so any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to find the directions from Pulaski too - I think the browser on the computer I am using is being contrary because I'm told there are directions from Pulaski on the website for BCC but can't seem to find them...

I'm still planning to bring at least one of the kids, if not more, with me - so Jeff/Swap Nazi, remember they are good gophers and already have agreed that whoever goes will help out with the whole affair wherever/however needed or where they can be of use or with individuals who may need some help with anything. I'm not sure yet if I will have my oldest with me or not, if I do bring him along, he's a strappin' boy who can help with lifting and stuff like that if anyone needs some help along those lines too.

I'm looking forward to meeting "everyone" and hope we have good weather.

If there's anything in particular anyone is looking for or wants, by all means feel free to check out my trade list - mostly seeds and I still have enough for trading most of them (I haven't updated my list) AND I will be bringing some fresh/just cut Brugmansia cuttings. I'm sorry that I just haven't had opportunity to do cuttings and get them rooted ahead of time. And unless they have rotted in water (things have been soooo busy here) I will also have some female Aucuba japonica variegata cuttings (most likely the original variegated standard named "Gold Dust")...

Everyone drive SAFE this coming weekend!!!!

HermitOnTheHill

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Hermit... Glad you are getting to come...if you will go to www.buffalocanoeing.com and go to the directions page, you can find directions from Lawrenceburg...it will take you about 1 1/4 hours to got here from Pulaski.

There are enough people who will drink the tea that doesn't have sugar I'm sure.

Jan

• arjo_reich
    16 years ago

I probably won't be able to make it this year after all. My wife is already dilated 1-cm and is 70% effaced and as such she's become a little more nervous about the idea of being over 1.5 hours away from the hospital "just in case"... which I can't really argue with. ;-p

Since we're not going to have a chance to meet and because I always think it's better to put a face to a name, I figured I would post a picture instead...

{{gwi:1274404}}

And who knows, if by some miracle I am able to make it, at least now you'll know who I am, heh.

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Arjo...I can understand your wife's apprehension in being away from town. I'm sorry you won't get to come, though. But plan on the fall one on Oct 20th. Let us know when the the little one in born.

• arjo_reich
    16 years ago

Jan,

You can call me Joe, and I'll definitely make sure to broadcast it when little Erik is born. His official due date is June 9th, but it looks like he might be considering an early arrival, heh.

• cmh35
    16 years ago

I want to know is it too late to say I want to come for the spring swap..
    I was gonna wait until the fall swap but I say what the hey
    I have
    stella doro
    spiderwort of different colors
    evening primrose
    coreopsis moonbeam
    diathus
    gallardia
    yuccas
    wild hucheras if anyone wants any.
    wild clematis if anyone wants any.
    ditch lillies if anyone wants any
    daisies if anyone wants any
    Hey farmerbell are you going.. I have a truck we could take
    I have red day lilies
    Have iris don't know the colors
    yellow, purple,
    asiatic lillies red ones anyone want any. let me know tonight and I will put them it pots tommorrow.
    just a few things I have. I also can bring red bleeding hearts, try to bring some peonies red and pink.
    some black eye susans.
    any takers
    Carolyn from fairview

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Carolyn...you are not too late....hope to see you on Sat.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Hey, Carolyn. It will be good to see you and everyone else on Saturday. I posted my list of plants I am bringing on the exchanges side of the TN forum. Safe travels everyone.

Ann

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

You know....We've never had a birth at the swap.

Come to think of it, let's keep it that way. *grin*

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm down with that! I don't know nuthin' about birthin' no babies!!!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're swapping in three days!!! I hope that ya'll are as excited as I am.

Well it looks like I may be coming by myself; again. Lavonne has been working 15-hour days this week and I'm pretty sure that by Friday she's going to be down for the count and sick as a dog. This week always seems to be her busiest week of the year. Hopefully I can get her out of the office tomorrow evening before 9:00 so we can have our Anniversary dinner together; it just doesnt work as well with only one person. Tim is in San Antonio on catastrophe duty and his wife just had major back surgery in December so I'm probably going to be traveling all alone this weekend.

• irisaddict
    16 years ago

Cmh35
    I would be interested in
    red asiatic lilies - pots aren't necessary
    and red bleeding hearts

I will potting today and tomorrow and then posting my list. I just returned from 2 weeks out of town and couldn't leave he plants unattended so I'm having to do a last minute job.

See you a the river!

• irisaddict
    16 years ago

This will also be posted on Middle TN Swap Page
    I was waiting to dig after the "big rain" which was about 2/100ths of an inch in my yard so I couldn't dig everthing I wanted but here is the list so far....

Rose - The Fairy - 2
    Rose - Red Meidland - 2
    Tomato - Creole - 5
    Variegated Vinca Major - 1
    Lyre-leafed sage - 2
    Sweet William - 5
    Celandine Poppy - 5
    Hardy Begonia - 6
    Ginger (groundcover) - 2
    Foamflower - 5
    Lenten rose - 3
    Sensitive Fern - 2
    Sassafras (I think) seedlings - 4
    Pinetrees, 2" - 2 6-packs
    Jack-in-the-Pulpit 3" - 4
    ivy cuttings - 3 types
    dark purple canna
    short purple iris someone wanted
    probably other iris

I would like to swap for the following items that people are bringing. Is there anything on my list those of you with these items would like?
    hardy banana, toadlilies, passionflower (if not the native one), chinese foxglove, double purple datura, triple crown blackberries, variegated lemon, pennyroyal, 'sparkling burgandy pineapple, ferns,

Can't wait until Saturday!

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

Hey Joe - will little Erik be your wife's first child or ? If a first, the 1 cm dilation is nothing to fret over... very common for cervical dilation to take its own sweet time up to several cm well before the due date and any actual labour (not to be confused with good ol' Braxton-Hicks that can fool ya). If a subsequent child, look to her L&D history for clues. Like if she's like me and a "rapid delivery case" (under 4 hours labour and delivery time). Otherwise, see if she might like to "get away" for the day, enjoy the fresh air and loosen up and relax in preparation for when the time comes. :) And reassure her, especially if a first child, if she did go into labour 1.5 hours' drive from the hospital - she'd probably still have oodles of time waiting once at the hospital. If she decided to "pop" at the swap, I'm sure things could be handled - and then she would get to put down a "weird" place of birth on the birth certificate hehehe I got to with my last one out of four! Hee! I'd be thrilled to meet her though, but if she is really too wound up about the "just in case" scenario, then you'll just have to commit her to come to the Fall Swap. :)

HermitOnTheHill

• eaglebug
    16 years ago

My husband and I are coming!

And Sara I decided I don't need the rocks.

• intimidator_3
    16 years ago

Hey Jeff, That wasnt Mitchell Creek Marina you guys were near on Dale Hollow by any chance was it?

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Doug I think it was Eastport Marina. It's off od 52 between Livingston and Jamestown near the Pickett/Fentress County line. Mitchell Creek is over by the Overton/Clay County line near Celina isn't it? We were a pretty good way from Celina. For that matter we were 15 miles from Jamestown and Livingston!

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Eaglebug...I'm so glad you are getting to come.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

• april_h_o April Moore
    16 years ago

I am afraid I have to drop out to and won't make it this weekend to the swap. I had potted most of my stuff weeks ago and only had a few last minute things to dig, but there you go. :-( My sister is in the hospital, probably nearing the end of her battle with cancer and one of Chip's cousins recently passed away and they are having the memorial service tomorrow. :-( To top it all off, the new job has kept me out of town for most of this month, so that's why I've been so quiet.

I think we may be heading south to Boaz, Alabama, either tomorrow (Friday) night or early, early Saturday. Would it be possible for me to drop these plants off with any of you to take to the swap for us? I'm not sure if anyone had any of my plants in mind, and I hadn't had time to arrange any swapping (boohoo! I need a Mexican Sage), but I'd like these lovely plants to go to a good (read: someone else's home but mine now).

Can anyone help? I should be able to label things so at least folks will know what they are. From memory, I have:

* 'Coronation Gold' Yarrow
    * Chinese Foxglove (heh, think several of us got this one at the plant swap; likes to move around, but it sure is pretty...)
    * Amsonia hubrechti(sp?) Great native plant!
    * Birdseed Sunflowers
    * Homestead Purple Verbena
    * Lamb's Ears
    * Sundrops (if I get them dug...)
    * Blue Spruce Sedum
    * Angelina Sedum (probably will have)
    * Airplane plant
    * Walker's Low Catmint (if I get some time to dig it up...)
    * Ladybells (if anyone wants some; let me know)

In addition to a Mexican Bush Sage, I was also looking for white cleome (seeds or plants), white cosmos (seeds or plants), Foxtail Lily or Yellow Perennial Foxglove.

Sorry I won't make it. :-( I'm very disappointed to....I could have used a de-stress day... But hopefully this fall will be better.

--April

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

April, I am so sorry about the trouble in your family...we will miss you. If you want to drop the plants by here you can...I don't remember where you live...its up to you and I will keep your trades for you.

Jan

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WHAT A GREAT SWAP. If you didn't like that then you really need some professional help!

Sponsored
VerdeScapes LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Landscape Architects & Landscape in Virginia