Posted by bigorangevol Nashville (jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net) on
Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 18:24

SATURDAY, MAY 19th 2007

3 months, 3 weeks and 5 days
or
16 weeks and 4 days
or
116 days

Any way you cut it, the MTPS will be here before you know it!
Mark your calendars now and block out that day!! Write it down on a Post-it note and stick it somwewhere as a reminder. Just don't forget or you'll regret it until October and here are a few reasons why:

If you have Brugmansia, want Brugs or want to learn about Brugmansia from our expert lecturers; make sure you come.
If you want to take payback pictures of Joe Weaver rather than the other way around; PLEASE BRING A CAMERA!
If you would like to swap some of your plants for a myriad of wonderful plants you don't have; make sure you come.
If you have never been to a plant swap that has thousands upon thousands of plants; make sure you come.
If you are new to GardenWeb and have never experienced a plant swap; make sure you come.
If you enjoy the outdoors in 70 degree weather beside a quiet river; make sure you come.
If you want to spend the day with the nicest people on this Earth; make sure you come.
If you want to learn things about plants that you never knew; make sure you come.
If you enjoy hanging out with like-minded plantaholics; make sure you come.
If you love awesome food and its consumption; make sure you come.
If you want to camp and canoe on the scenic Buffalo River; call Jan.

If you just want to see me make a fool of myself again; well here's your opportunity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap

First of all...what he said. Be there or you will regret it. Many people have missed one and all have regretted it. So just avoid the crushing disappointment and be at the river that sunny May morning. OK?
(How do I know it will be sunny? It almost always is.)

My main part in any presentation will likely be supportive. (Graphics, handouts, photos, gruntwork, etc.) Sis is the talker and the expert. I'm a background production artist. *grin*

I'll still be shooting. Plus I have almost perfected my cloaking technique. Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!

o

Ditto...ditto to everything they said.

Another description of the swap....Christmas in May. :)

Joe love the squirrel.

Directions www.buffalocanoeing.com

Jan

o

New to GW... is there any more information that can be provided? Cost/entry fee or anything like that? I see the url for getting directions, but would be kinda nice to have all the info in one place here for reference rather than having to go off-site....
I see Brugmansias noted... but is there any way to get an idea what else folks might have to swap? What's swapping etiquette for this plant swap? What about seeds? Cuttings that haven't been rooted yet? And so on...

Not sure I'll be in a position to attend, but sure would be sweet...

HotH

o

HotT, there is never any cost for coming to the swap...people bring plants, bulbs, cuttings, bare roots plants, rooted plants, seeds, garden crafts, books, house plants, magazines,anything garden related can be used to swap. Everything is traded...never sold. Everything needs to be labeled, and kept moist if they need it when you bring it to the swap...just have them in a condition that you would like to receive a plant.

"Brugs" is the subject of the lecture segment of the swap this time. But the assortment of plants that are brought is endless...at the spring swap a lot of people are looking for plants for their veggie gardens as well...like tomatoes, etc.

The potluck at noon is provided by everyone. We just ask that you bring at least 1 covered dish to add to the table. You will get overstuffed, I promise...there are some really good cooks that attend the swaps...if you have a favorite dish, or want to show off what you can do, by all means bring it. The food is just plain, wholesome food...just a lot of it. You are responsible for keeping your own food cold/hot until the meal. The paper porducts for this are supplied...we ask people to donate $1 per person to help cover the cost for this.

When you get to the swap, you will be assigned a spot to set up your plants. Most people bring a folding table for this, and a folding chair to sit in. But some people just spread theirs out on the ground or a cloth...whatever you want. You might want to make some kind of sign to put on your table with your name on it to identify you.

For those that want to camp at the campground that weekend, if they will email me I can reserve a spot for you. Those that camp have really enjoyed themselves.

I promise you that you will meet the nicest people on God's green earth at the swap...we have never had any grouches at any swap. You will be on the banks of the Buffalo river, under shade trees within the sound of the rippling water on one side, and a gurgling creek on another side. Anyone want to fish? Be sure to bring your poles, make sure you have a license...the game warden does come by occasionally.

We welcome any questions...you won't get an answer if you don't ask.

Jan

o

Hey, Jeff! Good to have you back. You bring so much energy and enthusiasm to our TN forum. It sounds as though you are recovering nicely. We missed you at the fall MTPS--Yes, I finally made it to a swap. Will you have any of those red crinums at the spring swap? Drool....drool.....drool!!

Ann

o

Ooooh....can I second Ann's drooling for red crinums?

*drool, drool, drool

:-)

--April

o

I'm going to have to hunt up/down (Freecycle!) or borrow (can't think of anyone that has any!) a folding chair or chairs (if any of the kids come with me or if I carpool with some other gardening friends from down my way) and a table for sure. I'm planning as if I am going and my old 'van isn't going to be an issue (please Lord, indulge me so I can attend!) and have my notebook ready for taking down names/plants traded, contact info for folks I meet even if no trading that day, and planning on making up at least cards to go with all of the botanicals I bring to identify them and provide my contact information. I'm trying to discern a dish I can make up that can be served up at "room temperature" (or would that be outdoor temperature? hehe - something that wouldn't necessarily have to be heated, reheated, or kept cool) - though at the moment only one comes to mind and it's a bean dish/recipe I got from my grandmother that a couple of the kids and I can eat on for days - hot, cold, or room temperature. My brain seems to be clogging up on any other covered dishes :/ and I'm afraid that a bean dish might find itself with too many other bean dishes and bore everyone... I don't suppose it would be possible to pre-organize a list of what covered dishes people intended to bring with so that some of us could avoid redundancy or "too many" of any given dish or type??? I'd even volunteer to keep track of such and either post it or keep an updated webpage for people to refer to if that's an acceptable idea?

I'm thinking about making the investment in "trays" with cells or pots for starting seeds this year just for the swap, rather than trying to contend with the mish-mash of recycled containers I use for my own stuff - think it would make transporting young plants easier.

o

Thanks Ann! I'm so happy that you were able to make it to the swap finally; I just wish I had been there too. I'll do my best to dig some of the Red Crinums. I haven't tried to put my foot on a shovel yet so we'll see how that goes. Right now just the thought of it kinda makes me cringe. I wish I had a dollar from everyone that told me they wanted one of those Crinum! Hopefully I can dig that monster up and split a few from it. When/If I can then I'll have some idea of how many there are going to be and ya'll can all fight over them. :-)

o

Hermit...sounds like you have a plan to be at the swap...good for you...be glad to meet you and I know that you will really enjoy yourself.

About the covered dishes...we have never yet had any trouble with too much of the same thing...but a couple of weeks before the swap we will start listing...(there are very few who will actually do this)...what they are bringing...but we ALWAYS have plenty...in fact more than enough food and everyone enjoys what is brought. The only thing that I can see could be changed would be more meats and drinks.

Jeff and I will gladly answer any and all questions...

SEE EVERYONE AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

Jeff, PLEASE don't dig the crinums until you are entirely well and when the crinums need dividing. Just keep me in mind whenever you do divide them. Stay well. How did the pineapple lily grow last summer?

Ann

o

Thanks for the concern. I went back to the doctor for what was hopefully the last time yesterday. I think that they've been making about 10-15K a month off of me since October.

The good news: All the broken bones have healed. The bad news: I won't be back to normal (Well, OK...normal for me anyway) for another eight months. I still have plenty of pain in the leg, ribcage and elbow but the tailbone is fine. With this titanium rod through it I doubt that I could break the Tibia again unless I got run over by a train.

I've got a feeling though that the two Crinums down by the mailbox (the red one and a white one with pink veins) may be a two-man job to dig up and split. We'll see whether or not I have to call Dad once some greenery starts showing.

o

BTW, we are down to:

3 months, 1 week and 5 days
or
14 weeks and 3 days
or
101 days
or
2,424 hours

Three months is going to be on top of us before we know it so start now in figuring out what you plan on bringing.
Making your list now so you can be semi-organized will save you time when the digging and transplanting phase hits.
That way you won't be like me; potting up stuff at midnight on Friday the 18th.!!!

o

2 months - 3 weeks - 4 days

12 weeks

84 days

2,013 hours

We have the Prince and Princess of Brugs for our lecturers at this swap! Along with that, Joe and Judith always bring tons of them to trade. So if you're a Brugnut don't miss this MTPS!!!

I may bring 8 x 10 black & white glossy copies of my x-rays to autograph too if you are morbidly interested in the documentaion of my pain. :-)

Remember that the new 2007 Tennessee state fishing licenses went on sale last week so you can re-up in order to fish the Buffalo while at the MTPS.

Aside for the party that goes on with the folks that camp before and after the MTPS, it is a great way to spend the weekend. Fishing and canoeing the Buffalo is a blast! By gatting a camping spot reserved you can cut down on the stress of making it a one-day road trip and help Jan & Jim in the process.

Everybody please remember that Jan & Jim donate our location out of the goodness of their hearts and many times it conflicts with their ability to run their business...so give them all the hugs, thanks and support that you possibly can!!!

o

Alas, this Brugnut won't be bringing as many cuttings as usual---an unexpected frost cost me a BUNCH of cuttings last fall. But don't worry---we WILL bring as many as we can.(*grin*)

I'll also be bringing some passiflora cuttings, to introduce everyone to my LATEST addiction. (*grin*)

Please reserve me one of those X-rays. (*grin*)

o

Stupid question, but since I've never been there and my memory for what I have digested from emails and posts is questionable at best...

We do "set up" like right at our vehicles, yes? Or do we set up one place and park at another? Just want to make sure I have this envisioned right in my head for loading, unloading, blah blah blah.

o

A friend and I were discussing how we would love to set up at our vehicles but that is usually not how we do it. Any chance of a change this year?

o

Newbie here! and I mean NEWBIE!! Haha. I really really want to come to the swap, but just need a few questions answered
1-Do I set up at my car (see the 2 messages above mine)
This will be easier for my little man
2-Are pets allowed? ..She will be on the leash if not in the car
3- Are we kid friendly?
4- Do you have to pay to camp?
and last....
5- Do I need to bring seeds, or should I start the plants and bring those?
Thank ya bunches!!
Sara

o

It's nice to see others have answered my question while also making the request - can we PLEASE set up at our vehicles? We'll promise to park "neatly", give adequate door-opening room, while not hogging or using space inefficiently (not sure how area there is for parking) - but I for one would find it much, much easier _physically_ to not have to tote things to/from my vehicle but rather just set up at the back of it. This would also allow me (if any of the kids do come with, and this could be a "point" for others with kids or really young children) to have things set up where if any of my traveling companions want to have a lie-down, they can do it across one of the benchseats or on a pallet in the back or what have you. I wouldn't have to tote an ice chest around, have immediate access to put up anything I got in trade without having to run back and forth... just a whole array of good reasons.

I can only assume that based upon those who have been there before asking if this can be done, that it is possible with the space available.

I'll even paint a window or windows on my old 'van with my GW screenname and stuff so folks will know who I am :)

Issol - I will *assume* you have been sent the url to the MTPS webpage and/or a letter with the details. There's some other threads related to MTPS still current on this forum because I myself have had the same questions as you. I can say for sure "no pets" - I asked that one as well since I run a rescue and have working-dogs, but not even one of them will be joining me/us for the PS. Better to leave the pets at home (I'm sure service animals are excluded from this, but I won't attempt to squeeze any of mine in, trained or not since I'm not actually handicapped/in need of one, just work with them) - as far as I know kid-friendly but would assume common sense is the rule for keeping an eye on one's own children.

o

Here's a few answers, if I may...

The area where the swap takes place is a campground. Out of the 8 or 10 of these we've had, only two have not taken place on the campground. One, early on, took place at the bath house/refreshment bar because it was raining.

The other, last spring, was carried out along the road that leads to the campground. Our hosts were expecting several large groups coming to canoe and camp, so our swap, understandably, had to give up the prime real estate.

The campground though, is the best place to hold our swap. It's right along the river. There are picnic tables to hold all the food at lunch. (And it's always a lot!) The trees provide wonderful dappled shade that drives my camera nuts. Wonderful spot.

But no room to park cars.

However, all is not lost. Remember you are dealing with gardeners here. You'll be amazed that when you pull up to the campground (Yes, there is a road that circles it!) someone will help you find your spot and unload. Then you can park the car up by the bath house. Same with loading back up. There's almost always someone around to help.

Unless you hang around and end up being the last person there. Then again, by that time someone will have already helped you load. *grin*

If you'd like to see photos of past swaps, have a look in my galleries for plant swaps. Unfortunately I can't access my own photos from work anymore, so I can't point you to the exact gallery. But here is the root gallery.

o

Hermit, Haha, thanks. I guess I'll leave the doggy at home, even tho she seems to listen better than the toddler. Just kidding ;). He loves to garden with me and is going to absolutely love this!
I have not been directed to the web page. I dont know the url, and haven't seen it. I may be overlooking it. I'll check agian, Thanks!

So, food wise, is just one dish okay? And is there anything that I should avoid cooking or a special request? I was thinking "Mexican Cornbread" but with all the cheese it may get messy.

Issol

o

I guess someone is slacking then *grin* - if it isn't posted by the time I pull the info up that I was given, I will re-post for you Issol. And I agree, all nine... err.. correction, now eight, canines listen and OBEY tons better than any of my kids... I never should have had kids... dogs, I don't have to send them to college, worry about drunk driving or sampling drugs, premarital sex or STDs (though unplanned pregnancies can be a shared issue), they rarely talk back, they NEVER lie, and more often than not, they innately know which plants to not try to eat... all true.. not that my kids are bad, they've actually been great where plants and stuff are concerned and for all of the grief they give me at home, they are almost always exemplary out in public, so it balances out.... sorta.... the kids cost more though in the short-term and long-term...

Anyway, I'm knackered tonight, and still one more "work day" left for us this week/tomorrow so I need to hit the hay, but like I said, if it isn't posted here by the time I get it pulled up from my email, I will repost the info I was provided with to help you out... everyone has been real nice in expounding upon things that I had questions about beyond the guidelines and stuff provided in the fundamental information for MTPS...

o

Hello. Just thought I'd chime in here and post the URL for the website:

http://www.midtnplantswap.com/

This has all the info you need on directions, what to bring, etc.

Hope to see y'all there.

As for me, I've been looking at the garden a few weeks now and thinking about what I can bring. At the moment, I've got one word for you: Sundrops, sundrops, Sundrops!

:-)

--April

o

Sorry for being AWOL lately guys!!! Busy week. Big thanks to Joe Weaver (TNGreenthumb) for all he does covering my backside!

Here are answers to some of the questions:

Sorry we cannot have you set-up and park in the same place but like Joe said, there will be ample folks to help you load and unload.

No pets- but that is Jan and Jim's call and this is their campground so there are no exceptions.

Kids are fine-we always have several but keep in mind that we are beside a river and you will need to keep an eye on them.

As I said this are Jan & Jim's campground and their sole source of income so yes camping is encouraged but it isnt free. You can contact them at http://buffalocanoeing.com/ for the cost. Canoeing and fishing is also a big load of fun on the Buff as well.

A general rule of thumb is to bring an amount of food that would be enough to feed your party.

I have a Swap Info Sheet that I'll be happy to email to anyone which answers most every question that you could come up with so shoot me an email and I'll get it to you pronto. As April mentioned, you can also visit our webpage at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/. Big thanks to Bec Holder (Cannahavanna) for that one too.

Jeff

o

April: I'll take some of those Sundrops! Are they the Oenotherea missouriallis or the fructicosa?

o

Thanks Joe and Jeff for answering all those questions. I have been out of town for a couple of weeks and got home last night and so haven't seen the posts until just now. Never be afraid to ask questions here...it may take some of us a while to answer them, but be patient and we will get to you.

There is camping available, but the space is limited, and we already have reservations for that weekend coming in, so please reserve as early as you can. You can contact me at Jan@buffalocanoeing.com.

Jan

o

Bump!

o

Hey all I'll be there also. I have some very leggy scented geraniums that need to be cut so I'll plant those up. About 10 different scents. I also have a jasmine that is getting out of hand. Someone told me it's a Carolina jasmine but the stem doesn't look like the other ones I've seen and it doesn't take to climbing very well. If anyone is interested in heirloom veggies let me know so I can start some seed now.

I'm cleaning out my gardens to start some different items so I should have lots.

I'm looking for lots of shade stuff. I have a whole back yard of shade.

o

I'm looking for monkey grass and daylilies, any kind. Also elephant ears, ferns, and other things like like damp shade---I'm doing a bed for my mom around her central unit.
I'll be bringing brugs and passifloras, plus some odds and ends.

o

Someone contact Mona...she has over 800 daylilies planted in containers...maybe you can get her to come back to the swap...Jeff and I have been trying.

o

Why is Mona not coming to the swaps now?

Also noticed that she hasnt been around on the Tennessee forum for a while now. Whats up?

Doug

o

2 months and 3 1/2 days

9 weeks and 1 1/2 days

64 1/2 days

1,550 hours

I don't want to hear that it crept up on you!!!

o

Doug, Mona has had a hard time that last 2 years. David's mom and Dad both died about a year apart. Then she started keeping her grandson 4 days a week...Thurs- Sun. and that knocked her out of coming to the swaps. She has had some other bad things happen in her family to that have been really hard on her. But she misses everyone.

Jan

o

Hermit on the hill - Thanks for all the info. I found the site. I agree - My little (well, huge lol) canine listens mcuh better and doesnt give me the funny (but he thinks are very serious) faces as my three year old. Not to mention the mumbo-jumbo, that in a few years will be back talk. :)

Heads up to everybody on what I'm bringing:
-Pink Wisteria (just a few)
-bunches of seeds
-crates for carrying and planting
-bar tops that can double as shelves - If any one has any special sizes or colors please let me know so I can bring them.
-kitchen tops as well ( I work in a cabinet shop, and this will be reminant pieces but they are all very nice, so please please let me know what colors and sizes are needed)
-As soon as I get a moment I'll be starting a few of the seeds so I can have some little seedlings there.
-I'll also be bringing random decorations, magazines, etc.
-I would like to bring some of these dang rocks, but I dont want to have to haul them back. I can bring these if some one requests it.
-I also have a few bulbs I'll be bringing. (including some red tulips...I over did the red this year!)

See you all soon!
Sara

o

I am gonna "try" again to make it. I have my directions all written down.

I will be bringing ferns...lots of ferns. All one kind.Basic kind(do not know fancy names yet) Also hosta,verigated and they bloom pink.lol
I will not commet to bringing the wind chimes as of yet. I have to be able to get out in the wood shed.

o

Wind Chimes?!!! We LOVE wind chimes!

If you are looking for the best chimes in the World...the Corinthian Bells hand tuned wind chimes are the bomb!!! I have never heard anything as beautiful as their chimes. They are pricey but you can't beat their tones.

o

Please bring the wind chimes....

o

Will do the best I can. I have two that I make. One out of hand cut bamboo, and the other is made of bottle caps(dad saves them for me) I will get as many as I can done each night, maybe see about making a new kind.

Here is a link that might be useful: cap chime

o

Atokadawn - Ferns, hostas, and bottle cap wind chimes! Ooo, I think I found my new best friend... ;) Hope you can make it!

o

Is there anything you would recommend we NOT bring based on past experiences?

Also - Sara, I'm not 100% sure I'm coming, but I might want your rocks. I'll let you know if I'll be there in May.

o

Don't bring kudzu.

o

or japanese honeysuckle. I certainly don't want any grape hyacinth either. I've been pulling them out by the hundreds.

o

I love a huge clump of Grape Hyacinth! It's the one or two or five in the middle of the yard that drive me nuts. But a clump of 30-50 looks awesome!

I've said this before many times; people will go ape over bags of seasoned manure. So if you have a farm with livestock... chickens, horses and bunnies you name it and it will trade.

o

And Japanese honeysuckle, properly kept in check with regular prunings can be very pretty.

Snip snip go the Bonsai scissors....

I agree with Jeff. A big patch of grape hyacinth is beautiful.

cherisa: Pot up and bring the grqape hyacinth. It will trade.

o

Hello everyone, I saw the website on Volunteer Gardener and was very interested in the swap. Ya'll let an east Tennesseer come to the swap? I promise not to sing Rocky Top.
I don't know if I have stuff that you all would like. I have purple angel trumpet and lots of stuff I don't know the name of!
Lisa

o

Lisa, you are more than welcomed to come to the swap. We have had people from as far away as OK, and Long Island. Just bring what you have and you will be surprised at what will go fast.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

Lisa as long as you have a better singing voice than Pat, you can sing Rocky Top all day long as far as I'm concerned!

We have just as many folks come to the MTPS from East TN and West TN as we do from Middle TN! People from every surrounding state show up.

Jan you missed that vanload of ladies that came one year from West Va.

o

1 Month, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
or
7 Weeks and 5 Days
or
54 Days
or
1,280 Hours

Have you decided what you are bringing? Have you potted anything up yet? What food are you bringing? Have you posted what you are looking for? Have you posted what you are bringing to swap with? Do you have a plan? Do you have a clue? Are you going to procrastinate and try to figure it all out Friday the 18th and still be potting stuff at midnight? Organization is the key to success; or so I've been told. I may start trying out that new idea myself.

Stay tuned for more important MTPS info pertaining to the incredibly salient rules and procedures that Dr. Renee implemented at the Fall MTPS. Dont let my disastrous failure at the Spring MTPS deter you from coming back. Help us make this MTPS the best one ever!!!

o

ANY plant is a weed, if it's growing where you DON'T want it. Conversly, anything can be an 'ornamental' if you like it where it's at. Like my bro, I LOVE Japanese honeysuckle, kept in check. (Roundup works REALLY well, especially if you mix it double strength. *grin*)Last spring, I spent two days digging up the odd grape hyacinth and moving them ALL into one big patch, that's just GORGEOUS right now.

There's someone out there who loves every plant---even kudzu!

o

You had me all the way up to Kudzu!

o

I have been getting ready. I potted up 11 pots of chocolate mint, some August blooming clematis, plum trees, and some burgundy leaf plants that have yellow blooms that I dont know the name of. I will also bring monkey grass for msbatt. I didn't think anyone would want it!
I am very excited about the swap!
Lisa

o

Jeff, I didn't say *I* liked it---but nearly every spring, some nut posts on the Plant Exchange forum actually LOOKING for it. Fortunately, most people who have it won't send it. (*grin*)

o

I know, isn't it amazing? What planet are they from?

We're only six weeks and three days from the Swap. It's getting here quickly!!!

Major props to our University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers on their seventh National Championship. It's great to be a Tennessee Volunteer!

o

Kudzu wow real food for goats, pigs and kudzu blossom jam. What more could we ask for.
Redneck Norm

o

Stop it you trouble-maker!

Hey, Lavonne and I may take a trip up to Cedar Point to ride that roller coaster. It goes 420' up at 120 mph; takes a 90 degree turn and goes straight down while rotating 270 degrees as you fall. That ought to set your hair on fire. From the picture you sent...I may want to wear some protection. Rated the #7 Best Roller Coaster in the World! Pretty cool huh? You and Barb wanna go with us?

o

Hi all!
Just want ya'll all to know that I have a new SUV and it can hold alot of plants.....Hmmm wonder if I should bring the trailer too...??? Look forward to seeing all of you. Might even bring the 4 year old too. Atoka Dawn one of those windchimes better have my name on it. See ya'll all at the river....Oh and By the way Jeff you haven't been talking to any reporters have you?????? ROFL
Love Martha

o

Well, I guess with the bad freezes this last weekend, that everyone will be needing new plants come swap time...so everyone plan for it...we all need to replace what we lost...be sure to bring lots of extras this time.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

Hey, tngreenthumb, just saw your question about the Sundrops. I'm honestly not sure which they are as I was given them at another plant swap and they were only labelled as Oenothera. But they are one of the upright yellow ones and they do spread, though not so fast as to cause major problems. This is their third year in the ground and it's only now that I feel compelled to reduce their numbers.

I'm posting a link to some photos, so maybe you can tell me which they are? I don't know how to tell the difference between missouriensis and fructiosa and I haven't found an authoritative source that does so far.....

Thanks! And, if you still want some, they are yours! They were totally unaffected by the freeze....

--April

Here is a link that might be useful: Sundrops

o

Only 5 weeks and 1 day...the countdown is on...I guess we will all have to reevaluate what we have to bring and what we need since the big freeze last week.

Everyone stay safe in the storm coming tonight...one of the networks said it was a "monster storm".

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

April: Yep! That looks like the fructicosa!

Here are the ones I used to have.

o

Storming like crazy here tonight. What next?

Anyone bringing house plants? Or pond plants? I could use both..... Having to spend more time inside is renewing my inside gardening fuel. Also building the bigger fish pond/fountian is giving me a need for water pretties.

I am working on the bamboo chimes. If I can not come(hubby sick), I will see if katwoman will be sweet enough to drag them to you for me.That is if I can track her down again for us.lol

I will be outside looking over my yard again when the rain lets up to see what is saved.

Anyone want some peppermint? I have tons to share.

o

I'll add what I am bringing after I pot it up but I did want to mention that I need birdhouse gourds for martins. I also need some anacharis for the pond. If anyone has any extra water hyacinths by then, that would be nice too.

Thanks!
Evelyn

o

Can I bring a table with a sign that says "DONATIONS ACCEPTED TO PLANT IN MY NAKED YARD" if I promise to save seeds and bring plants next year? lol. Oh, I'd bring food too!

I hope to find something that I can bring to the swap, but if not, I'll prepare for it and be there next year! Have a great swap day everyone.

Carol B
Murfreesboro Area

o

I want everyone on this forum to be at the MTPS regardless of what you have to bring. We have never made anyone feel bad just because they didn't bring much and we never will. Everyone has to get started somewhere and the MTPS is just as good a place as any! You guys were so generous to Lavonne and I when we were getting started and so many others have racked-up that had nothing to swap their first time. Let's get extra busy and bring all that we can for those that are in need. There will always be more of us that have tons of stuff than those who have very little so let's share our hearts out.

I know that last Spring was an exception to the rule (beat me up if you want to) but I learned my lesson and that WILL NOT be repeated. We are keeping this a TN Forum/friends/word-of-mouth swap from now on. I never want to lose the intimacy that we have, although you gotta admit 400+ people was kind of neat in a perverse way. See, I can actually laugh about it now. :-)

I'm potting up stuff that hasn't bloomed yet and I don't have a clue what color Iris and Daylilies we will be bringing but hey, there are some folks out there in need so we'll haul it down anyway.

o

Well it's nice to read that, but I'm still just downright depressed after starting everything up with plenty of time, taking extra care to protect against frosts, etc. and then BAM! despite my efforts, the one time I have no choice in being away for a few days, the temperatures drop way way below freezing and kills everything right down in the ground.

I can re-start things from seed but plants will only be seedlings or still germinating (since some things take longer than others)... be honest here folks, would YOU have any interest in newly (re)started seedlings or things that hadn't yet germinated if they were at least labeled??? In light of having to re-start the response is what will determine whether I even try to come. If those more fortunate with the weather we've had are willing to trade for truly baby-plants, then I'll come. (and try to put together a "catalog" with photos of what plants should mature into, bloom images, etc.) But if not, then it would just be less disappointing across the board to just continue with trades through this year and either go to the Fall swap or not trust stupid weather forecasters and start things next Spring without taking them out to harden off before the swap...

Or maybe it would be easier to just bring cataloged seeds so people could start their own and seed packets not take up as much space for travel to their new homes?

I'm so utterly bummed... all those weeks of work flushed away in one fell swoop... turns my stomach... almost as bad as the early freeze last year that wiped out so much of my collection. How depressing.

o

Hermit...everyone is going to be in the same boat as you are...start your plants and bring them...that is what everyone is going to have to do...WE WANT YOU AT THE SWAP no matter how big your plants are.

Jan

o

ONE MONTH and counting!!!

As I suspected, the gloom-n-doom wasn't nearly as bad as we all thought. A bunch of our stuff is already back. Some things are still suffering a bit but I don't think that we lost anything completely. So in the space of four weeks everything should be back to normal.

I don't care what you do or don't have to bring...just come! I'd be more than happy to hook-up and hang-out with you guys twice a year even if we weren't swapping plants!

o

TOTAL newbie here. Just moved to an acre covered w/various inorganic "weed deterents" (black plastic, clear plastic, and 2 types of landscape cloth!). I have nothing but a struggling lilac (how does a lilac struggle?) and a sore back. But I'm working on my plan for the "estate" (ha!) & have discovered my true passion for gardening...to the dismay of my hubbie. WHAT HAPPENS IN THE FALL W/TN GARDENERS? We are near Nashville.

o

We have the Fall MTPS!

o

The fall swap will be Oct 20th. Mark your calender now.

o

Can you believe that we are just a scant three weeks and four days from the swap? I'm really starting to get ramped-up!!!

o

Now its 3 weeks...are you ready?????

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

Hey...I'm new, too! I started a bunch of seedlings, but they bit it in the freeze. (I tried to save them).

Honestly...how weird is it to show up and not have anything to swap?

o

Don't sweat it Andi!!! Jan said for you to come so you had better not hurt her feelings. :-)

o
The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap is almost here

2 weeks and 4 days

17 days, 12 hours

420 hours

IT'S CRUNCH TIME!!!

Ya'll better get busy.

o

Last spring we had the swap out on the creek...WE WILL BE BACK UNDER THE TREES IN THE CAMPGROUND BY THE RIVER THIS YEAR...so don't you miss out on all the fun!!!!!!!!!

Jan

o

Another newbie here! I have been lurking and trying to get to the swap for 3 years and this year I finally will make it! Looking forward to meeting people at the swap, camping out and trading!

Lisalimey - I would love some chocolate mint, see if I have anything you would like to trade for.

Issol - I have tons of oak tree seedings, I'll save some if you would like them. What kind of rocks do you have? We are building stacked stone walls at our house & I'm always looking for good rocks!

Akota Dawn - Can you put my name on 1 or 2 of the bamboo windchimes if I have something you want to trade for? I'm also dying for ferns to put in our very very shady backyard.

Msbatt - I have yellow daylillies if you want them!

See you at the river! Emmy

I HAVE FOR TRADE:

Blackberry Lilly seeds
Zinnia seeds - tall and multi colored
Golden Rain Trees - seeds
3 yr old Oak Tree seedling
Bearded Iris (I don't know what colors these particular ones are - yellow or purple probably)
Rose of Sharon (Althea) 3 yrs old volunteer plants - purple
Yellow Daylillies
Pennyroyal
Bamboo plants (very tall and spreads! Not clumping version!!)
Bamboo stakes for arbors, teepees, fences, etc.
4 O'Clock bulbs/plants
Lily of the Valley
4 ft wide and tall boxwood bush (you come get it in Hendersonville)

I'M LOOKING FOR:

Any type of hosta
Any type of shade plants
Trilliums
Ferns
Bleeding Hearts
Coral Bells (Heuchera)
Bergenia
Columbine
Hydrangeas
Some climbing vines (sun/shade)
Mondo Grass

My email is emmylance at hotmail.com if you want to email me.

o

Can you believe only 2 weeks from today!!!! ARE YOU READY???

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

Guys if you need any info this week holler at Jan. Lavonne and I are going to be out-of-pocket until Friday. Sorry.

o

This is my last post until Friday evening.
(Hey, I heard that; stop the applause!)

If you aren't ready today and have everything potted-up then you should be horse-whipped!
I'm going to try and get my stuff done this afternoon. :-)

We're looking at 4 days and 21 1/2 hours from starting the spring MTPS swap.
It's on top of us for real now!

Lavonne and I can't wait to see all you guys!!!

o
I need to be put away!

Ok, I have totally lost my mind. I had in my head that today was the 14th. I hate getting old!!!

o

Hey Guys,
Honestly it wasn't so bad last year when I came to the swap with nothing to share, these folks don't mind......I have some bad news though....I've been potting for weeks and I will not be able to make it....Sorry Atoka Dawn I won't be able to haul for you.......I have prior commitments that I can't undo. I will miss all of you and any new plants I would have taken home.......The good news is that I will have twice as much to share come fall. I so looked forward to my son meeting you all and my new honey as well. I have several plants and seeds put back for people that asked for them last year.....but a couple of months will not change that. Hope you all have a good Swap.......As Jan says' see you at the river come fall.
Martha

o

Greetings everyone, excited about the swap. So far I have
chocolate mint
mallow
evening primrose
coreopsis
sweet Autumn clematis
muscodine vine
plum tree
pimento pepper
and then I cleaned out the pond last weekend and I have
lizard tail and some water grasses I dont know the name of.
and oh yes, how could I forget,.... monkey grass!

o

Martha, I'm sorry that you won't get to the swap...but see you in Oct.

o

lisalimey: Oooh! Can I lay claim to one or two of the muscadines? I should have the following. (Now that I have some idea.)

Double Purple Datura
Mole Beans (Castor Beans)
Hyacinth Bean Vine
Morning Glories (Mt. Fuji Pink/Blizzard Mutation)
Coral Touch-Me-Nots
Assorted Tomatoes
A few Red Bee Balm and maybe a few poppies

o

ARE YOU READY??????????

1 WEEK AND 2 DAYS?

Got your food all lined up? Plants ready?

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

Just got back home! Man it's great to get away but even better to come home.

I don't normally give props and pub to anything (other than the MTPS) but we had the most wonderful cabin at Dale Hollow this week!!! We were 12 miles from Pickett State Park and 25 miles from Big South Fork. Granted, we couldn't get a cell for 12 miles from our cabin but that turned out to be a really good thing. The place was immaculate, three stories, two bedroom, 2 1/2 baths, Jacuzzi tub in the Master Bath, Hot tub, satellite TV, wrap-around deck, upper deck on the third floor, completely furnished with everything and all we had to bring were towels and food; $100 a night. Three miles from the marina was a big plus too. The area in those mountains was so secluded and peaceful it was ridiculous. I don't think there was another person for a half mile of us. Lavonne and I were blown away. This is between Livingston and Jamestown and the place was called Dale Hollow Cabin Fever. If it sounds like something that you might like, look 'em up on the internet. They really treated us like kings! Did I mention that it's only 2 hours and 15 minutes from Nashville?

Anyway, we are rested and primed for the MTPS.

o

Can you believe...only 1 WEEK till the swap. Can't wait to see all you guys. Right now the weather forecast looks good for it.

Jeff glad you and Lavonne had such a good time.

o

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, grandmothers, and any women or young ladies who have the maternal instinct active or previously active in caring for children, the elderly, disabled, infirm, AND ANIMALS!

I haven't been online at all in weeks now really but I figured I'd best get back here to formally say:
I WILL BE THERE Saturday the 19th! (barring any transportation issues or heavy rain) That's my plan anyway. I've been in such a terrible funk with no plants "up" to size for swapping, but I realized that it was likely more my PTSD getting the better of me with the prospect of a "social gathering"... so I'll be trade-size-packeting up seeds this week in preparation and getting some other stuff together, like some peat pellets (new, not used hehe) that might be of use for trading if no seeds I bring are of interest to anyone. And looking around to see what else I have that while not a seed or plant, is "gardening" related. I hope I have something of interest for folks!

I *think* I am going to make some General Tsao (sweet & spicy) chicken for the food part - since there's no way to reheat stuff, I figured this would be a good choice since it's a "meal" thing but IMO equally good "hot" or "cold" or in between... And I'm considering/contemplating instead of or in addition to the General Tsao, maybe a stuffed pasta "thing"... maybe a rice dish... I'm in debate on whether to make up some iced tea with Stevia (instead of sugar) for "sweet tea" - are there enough people that would be interested in this sugar-alternative either because they are counting calories, diabetic, try to avoid refined sugar(s), or would just like to try Stevia as a sweetener? Let me know!

What I really could use, is if someone could email me privately to point me in the direction of a direct url to where there's already a list of what people are bringing? I'm not getting online enough (still w/o my own pc or laptop at this point) or have enough time to go searching on my own so any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to find the directions from Pulaski too - I think the browser on the computer I am using is being contrary because I'm told there are directions from Pulaski on the website for BCC but can't seem to find them...

I'm still planning to bring at least one of the kids, if not more, with me - so Jeff/Swap Nazi, remember they are good gophers and already have agreed that whoever goes will help out with the whole affair wherever/however needed or where they can be of use or with individuals who may need some help with anything. I'm not sure yet if I will have my oldest with me or not, if I do bring him along, he's a strappin' boy who can help with lifting and stuff like that if anyone needs some help along those lines too.

I'm looking forward to meeting "everyone" and hope we have good weather.

If there's anything in particular anyone is looking for or wants, by all means feel free to check out my trade list - mostly seeds and I still have enough for trading most of them (I haven't updated my list) AND I will be bringing some fresh/just cut Brugmansia cuttings. I'm sorry that I just haven't had opportunity to do cuttings and get them rooted ahead of time. And unless they have rotted in water (things have been soooo busy here) I will also have some female Aucuba japonica variegata cuttings (most likely the original variegated standard named "Gold Dust")...

Everyone drive SAFE this coming weekend!!!!

HermitOnTheHill

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade List for Preview if there's something specific you'd like to get from me - let me know!

o

Hermit... Glad you are getting to come...if you will go to www.buffalocanoeing.com and go to the directions page, you can find directions from Lawrenceburg...it will take you about 1 1/4 hours to got here from Pulaski.

There are enough people who will drink the tea that doesn't have sugar I'm sure.

Jan

o

I probably won't be able to make it this year after all. My wife is already dilated 1-cm and is 70% effaced and as such she's become a little more nervous about the idea of being over 1.5 hours away from the hospital "just in case"... which I can't really argue with. ;-p

Since we're not going to have a chance to meet and because I always think it's better to put a face to a name, I figured I would post a picture instead...

And who knows, if by some miracle I am able to make it, at least now you'll know who I am, heh.

o

Arjo...I can understand your wife's apprehension in being away from town. I'm sorry you won't get to come, though. But plan on the fall one on Oct 20th. Let us know when the the little one in born.

o

Jan,

You can call me Joe, and I'll definitely make sure to broadcast it when little Erik is born. His official due date is June 9th, but it looks like he might be considering an early arrival, heh.

o

I want to know is it too late to say I want to come for the spring swap..
I was gonna wait until the fall swap but I say what the hey
I have
stella doro
spiderwort of different colors
evening primrose
coreopsis moonbeam
diathus
gallardia
yuccas
wild hucheras if anyone wants any.
wild clematis if anyone wants any.
ditch lillies if anyone wants any
daisies if anyone wants any
Hey farmerbell are you going.. I have a truck we could take
I have red day lilies
Have iris don't know the colors
yellow, purple,
asiatic lillies red ones anyone want any. let me know tonight and I will put them it pots tommorrow.
just a few things I have. I also can bring red bleeding hearts, try to bring some peonies red and pink.
some black eye susans.
any takers
Carolyn from fairview

o

Carolyn...you are not too late....hope to see you on Sat.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

o

Hey, Carolyn. It will be good to see you and everyone else on Saturday. I posted my list of plants I am bringing on the exchanges side of the TN forum. Safe travels everyone.

Ann

o

You know....We've never had a birth at the swap.

Come to think of it, let's keep it that way. *grin*

o

I'm down with that! I don't know nuthin' about birthin' no babies!!!

o
The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap is here

We're swapping in three days!!! I hope that ya'll are as excited as I am.

Well it looks like I may be coming by myself; again. Lavonne has been working 15-hour days this week and I'm pretty sure that by Friday she's going to be down for the count and sick as a dog. This week always seems to be her busiest week of the year. Hopefully I can get her out of the office tomorrow evening before 9:00 so we can have our Anniversary dinner together; it just doesnt work as well with only one person. Tim is in San Antonio on catastrophe duty and his wife just had major back surgery in December so I'm probably going to be traveling all alone this weekend.

o

Cmh35
I would be interested in
red asiatic lilies - pots aren't necessary
and red bleeding hearts

I will potting today and tomorrow and then posting my list. I just returned from 2 weeks out of town and couldn't leave he plants unattended so I'm having to do a last minute job.

See you a the river!

o

This will also be posted on Middle TN Swap Page
I was waiting to dig after the "big rain" which was about 2/100ths of an inch in my yard so I couldn't dig everthing I wanted but here is the list so far....

Rose - The Fairy - 2
Rose - Red Meidland - 2
Tomato - Creole - 5
Variegated Vinca Major - 1
Lyre-leafed sage - 2
Sweet William - 5
Celandine Poppy - 5
Hardy Begonia - 6
Ginger (groundcover) - 2
Foamflower - 5
Lenten rose - 3
Sensitive Fern - 2
Sassafras (I think) seedlings - 4
Pinetrees, 2" - 2 6-packs
Jack-in-the-Pulpit 3" - 4
ivy cuttings - 3 types
dark purple canna
short purple iris someone wanted
probably other iris

I would like to swap for the following items that people are bringing. Is there anything on my list those of you with these items would like?
hardy banana, toadlilies, passionflower (if not the native one), chinese foxglove, double purple datura, triple crown blackberries, variegated lemon, pennyroyal, 'sparkling burgandy pineapple, ferns,

Can't wait until Saturday!

o

Hey Joe - will little Erik be your wife's first child or ? If a first, the 1 cm dilation is nothing to fret over... very common for cervical dilation to take its own sweet time up to several cm well before the due date and any actual labour (not to be confused with good ol' Braxton-Hicks that can fool ya). If a subsequent child, look to her L&D history for clues. Like if she's like me and a "rapid delivery case" (under 4 hours labour and delivery time). Otherwise, see if she might like to "get away" for the day, enjoy the fresh air and loosen up and relax in preparation for when the time comes. :) And reassure her, especially if a first child, if she did go into labour 1.5 hours' drive from the hospital - she'd probably still have oodles of time waiting once at the hospital. If she decided to "pop" at the swap, I'm sure things could be handled - and then she would get to put down a "weird" place of birth on the birth certificate hehehe I got to with my last one out of four! Hee! I'd be thrilled to meet her though, but if she is really too wound up about the "just in case" scenario, then you'll just have to commit her to come to the Fall Swap. :)

HermitOnTheHill

o

My husband and I are coming!

And Sara I decided I don't need the rocks.

o

Hey Jeff, That wasnt Mitchell Creek Marina you guys were near on Dale Hollow by any chance was it?

o

Doug I think it was Eastport Marina. It's off od 52 between Livingston and Jamestown near the Pickett/Fentress County line. Mitchell Creek is over by the Overton/Clay County line near Celina isn't it? We were a pretty good way from Celina. For that matter we were 15 miles from Jamestown and Livingston!

o

Eaglebug...I'm so glad you are getting to come.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

o

I am afraid I have to drop out to and won't make it this weekend to the swap. I had potted most of my stuff weeks ago and only had a few last minute things to dig, but there you go. :-( My sister is in the hospital, probably nearing the end of her battle with cancer and one of Chip's cousins recently passed away and they are having the memorial service tomorrow. :-( To top it all off, the new job has kept me out of town for most of this month, so that's why I've been so quiet.

I think we may be heading south to Boaz, Alabama, either tomorrow (Friday) night or early, early Saturday. Would it be possible for me to drop these plants off with any of you to take to the swap for us? I'm not sure if anyone had any of my plants in mind, and I hadn't had time to arrange any swapping (boohoo! I need a Mexican Sage), but I'd like these lovely plants to go to a good (read: someone else's home but mine now).

Can anyone help? I should be able to label things so at least folks will know what they are. From memory, I have:

* 'Coronation Gold' Yarrow
* Chinese Foxglove (heh, think several of us got this one at the plant swap; likes to move around, but it sure is pretty...)
* Amsonia hubrechti(sp?) Great native plant!
* Birdseed Sunflowers
* Homestead Purple Verbena
* Lamb's Ears
* Sundrops (if I get them dug...)
* Blue Spruce Sedum
* Angelina Sedum (probably will have)
* Airplane plant
* Walker's Low Catmint (if I get some time to dig it up...)
* Ladybells (if anyone wants some; let me know)

In addition to a Mexican Bush Sage, I was also looking for white cleome (seeds or plants), white cosmos (seeds or plants), Foxtail Lily or Yellow Perennial Foxglove.

Sorry I won't make it. :-( I'm very disappointed to....I could have used a de-stress day... But hopefully this fall will be better.

--April

o

April, I am so sorry about the trouble in your family...we will miss you. If you want to drop the plants by here you can...I don't remember where you live...its up to you and I will keep your trades for you.

Jan

o

WHAT A GREAT SWAP. If you didn't like that then you really need some professional help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here