Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

Propagators - help!

conniemcghee
14 years ago

OK, so I've been trying to root cuttings inside this fall. I have two cuttings of Mexican Bush Sage, one of which was doing fantastic - until yesterday. Now it's all wilty-looking. I've been spritzing the soil every day, just enough to keep it moist. I wonder if it got too cold? It's right next to a window on the south side of my house, because that's where the best light is. That's the only thing I can figure...I don't think it's damp-off as it doesn't seem to be dying from the bottom.

I really want one of these MBS cuttings to make it! Any advice?

Comments (15)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

It sounds like your rooting medium, at root level, is too wet. You can't judge moisture level down in the medium by looking at the surface. I've lost many cuttings, some of which I though might have been getting too little water, because the lower levels, near the roots, were too wet. This causes the stem and any small roots to rot. Water less frequently and also be sure that your medium has very sharp drainage.

You might also consider other (easier) ways to propagate the plant if you have regular access to the parent plant. Division and layering are easier (especially for a smaller number of plants).

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, are you saying I should repot these cuttings? Or just stop watering? I'm wondering if this one is a goner, or if I can save it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

If the cutting is "all wilty-looking", I kind of doubt you are going to save it. But, if I was going to try, I would most likely very carefully try to replant it. If there are any roots started, you don't want to damage them, so that's why I would do it gently.

Any chance you could get a rooted division or pin a stem down to the ground for layering?

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Any chance you could get a rooted division or pin a stem down to the ground for layering?"

No, or I would have done that to begin with. ;)

Checked it this morning and the problem is definitely not that it's too wet. It's barely moist at the root level. Drier beneath. I'm going to try taking off the "wilty-looking" foilage and replanting, the thinking being that this growth is not supporting the cutting any longer anyway. I am hoping that if there is any root growth, it will push new foilage. This cutting has been in for two months now, so hopefully I've got some roots.

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the deed is done. I just lifted it out (carefully, with a spoon) and replanted. And the winner is: No roots! ??

I wonder if I should have dipped it in rooting hormone again. I think I may have not been keeping it quite moist enough. MBS's don't like to be wet, but I probably didn't mist the soil enough.

I have another cutting that I left alone. It's pushing new leaves at the base of the cutting, but much more slowly than the cutting that just died. Maybe that will be my plant.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

"Barely moist at the root level" sounds about like what you'd want. At this point, I don't know what's wrong with your cutting. It sounds more like a pathogen problem than lack of water, since it seemed fine at first and then got "wilty-looking". Usually, if lack of moisture is a problem with cuttings, the cuttings will sacrifice a portion of itself (leaves will drop, the top nodal section will die, etc) instead of just wilting. If you used Rootone (I think that's the most popular homeowner rooting hormone), it has fungicide and should have helped with most common cutting-related disease issues. Good luck.

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, that's helpful to know...thanks. I did use Rootone. I guess I'll just wait and hope for the best. It's repotted in Pro-Mix now.

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

Connie,

How many leaves do you leave on the plant initially? I've found that anymore than 2 can be problematic. I've rooted quite a few Salvia nemorosas in the spring from stemtip cuttings. That might be an alternate way to go. I generally keep the medium fairly moist, but I use sand which dries out fast.

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Dave, I was hoping you'd chime in! :)

I left two on each of the cuttings, which they dropped pretty quickly. It is such a bummer, because it really seemed to be doing so well and then suddenly, not so much. If I can get another crack at the mother plant I will try again in the spring. Maybe the time of year was just not the best, huh?

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

The new growth from stem-tips in spring seem to have a better balance of auxins already in the plant. I've had some salvias bloom before fall from cuttings made in the spring. Were they hardwood cuttings or softwood?

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They were softwood...which I think was probably not my best bet in the fall, huh?

• paperart
    14 years ago

I agree with dvtown spring is your best bet. If the leaves are big I leave two and cut those two in half. seems to help with the stress on the cutting.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, after repotting the ailing cutting is still not growing any roots. The other one is hanging in there, but very barely. I think I will have to see if I can catch this again in the spring.

• maternut
    14 years ago

Connietn Check back with me before spring plant swap. I may have you one rooted by then. Trying to root one in the green house, by pining a limb down.
    Norm

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Norm! That would be so awesome, thank you! You are so nice to give it a try. :) I will have to bring you something special!

The latest update is, the first one is dead, I think, but the second one that was shooting up from the bottom has been pushing new growth. But I'm still nervous because the first one did that too before it croaked. :P

Sponsored