Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Anyone Have Brugmansia in Memphis Area?

Posted by golfngardennut 7 NE of Memphis (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 20:23

I just learned about Brugmansia and am wondering how they do here, does anyone have them around here?

g'nut

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Anyone Have Brugmansia in Memphis Area?

Hey they do have them here. I have seen them at Dabney's and Dan West on HWY 64. Or when mine come out of dormancy I can be talked into some cuttings. I didn't take cuttings this fall so I don't have a lot hanging around like I usually do. I have seen a few in ground here, tho I have tried to leave one out all winter here and it has not survived. You can either dig up every year or they make a nice container plant. This is one of my favorite plants they smell divine.

o

Burgess is selling them, under "Angel Trumpets".

o

I usually find them at Bayless Nurseries in Shelby Forest. The are usually about 12.00 in a gallon size container, and are usually in bud or bloom. So far they have only had Peaches And Cream a Variegated variety. Gorgeous White, that turns to Creamy Peach after 3 or 4 days. They scent your entire yard. Only if we have a mild Winter and you mulch HEAVY will they come back from the roots.

o

Awesome, thanks!!!

g'nut

o

My mom has them growing in the ground in zone 7A, so they should do wonderfully in Memphis. They need to have VERY GOOD drainage during the winter---cold+wet=rot.

Any OTHER winter I'd have a couple of five-gallon bucketfuls of cuttings, but I moved this fall and didn't take any. They're tremendously easy to root, although some cultivars are easier than others. Some are hardier, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here