Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freshvegetables

New to Knoxville

freshvegetables
9 years ago

I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general. I grew my first vegetable garden last year and the only things that did good was the zucchini , basil and sweet potatoes. I think this is at least partially due to the clay soil. I did amend with about 200$ worth of black cow in my 30 square feet garden but it hardly did any good. I'm hoping after I amend again this year I will have better luck. (It's red clay btw) This year I'm really wanting to try to grow some beets, eggplant, onions, zucchini and some kind of berry besides strawberry. Does anyone know if there are any plant nurseries that sell eggplant (black beauties) or beet (red) starter plants in the area? I hope this year is a success for my garden but I sure could use some advice from more experienced gardeners.

Comments (4)

• TreeRoots
    9 years ago

Welcome to the area :) Stanley's Greenhouse on Davenport in South Knox is a great little nursery that has a ton of veggie seeds right now. I'm not sure if they will have the actual starter plants for the two you specified, but you could definitely call them and ask. I mention them, particularly because they have different varieties of Blueberry that you might be interested in growing.Two in particular that might be good for you are Pink Lemonade that stays around 4' and... a dwarf that I can't remember the name to that maxes out at 2'. They're both doing very well for me in containers on the porch.

Gardening in-ground is something I gave up on. I just found it too difficult to manage. Raised beds can be expensive to start up, but are much easier to manage. I'm making one out of cinder blocks, this year. You could also try Winter Sowing, as a much easier (in my opinion) way of germinating your seeds. I plan on growing eggplant, this year, and if I'm successful I'd be more than happy to give you some baby plants.

Ijams Nature Center frequently has gardening classes and trades that you could attend, and actually has their annual Seed Swap this weekend (31st).

• ckiser51
    9 years ago

I am in Knoxville as well and working with clay. When I start a new bed, I like to amend with Nature's Helper. I buy it in bags at Home Depot; it goes further and it costs less than Black Kow. I try to till it in the first time I am making the bed, then I never have to till after that as long as I mulch and/or add Black Kow each year. By the third year, you will have wonderful soil which is much easier to work and dig in than the original clay. Nature's Helper is just ground pine (I think) bark but works wonders on clay soil.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

The type of Nature's Helper product that ckiser51 is talking about is the Nature's Helper Organic Soil Conditioner. It is made of pine bark fines (partially composted pine bark). Similar products can be obtained in bulk at much more reasonable prices, if you need to amend a large area. Here in Knoxville, for instance, you can get bulk composted pine bark fines at Nature's Best Organics. They have a place out on Rutledge Pike and another just off Oak Ridge Highway.

• ckiser51
    9 years ago

Thanks for the additional info Brandon. I was inside at the time and don't always remember all of the info correctly. You are absolutely right about Nature's Best Organics and I had forgotten about it when I suggested the Nature's Helper. My husband got two loads for me and my daughter just a couple of weeks ago to work into raised beds we have started this year. It is much more reasonably priced (I think it was $27.31 for a load). However, if I am working by myself on tilling, the bags are much easier for me to manage. They are less expensive at Home Depot than other nurseries and stores I have checked. Also, you might call Knoxville Seed on Rutledge Pike to see if they have some of the starter plants you want. They have a wide variety of seeds and some starter plants but are very inconsistent on what they have in stock, so I would definitely call first.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations