Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vollaw

climbing roses

vollaw
16 years ago

I want to plant some climbing roses to help cover an ugly chain link fence. The fence is approximately 5 feet tall. I want something disease resistant and also repeat bloomers. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments (9)

• cambse
    16 years ago

Here are some of my favorites. Sombreuil, Abraham Darby, Altissimo, Cornelia, Bubble Bath, Royal Sunset, Westerland.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Cambse's list is good, but I'd toss Altissimo. Most versions are virused and only do well with high culture; and it's a climber that really wants to go vertical rather than horizontal. Cornelia and Bubble Bath are both H Musks that do really well in this part of the world; a local to East TN source for these and other musks would be Appalachian Rose near Tellico Plains.
    Abe Darby demanded spray in my garden or total leaf loss. Royal Sunset and Westerland are lovely plants and have done well in a friends garden.
    You might want to infill with some of the once blooming ramblers that keep their leaves through winter: Dorothy Perkins, Turner's Crimson, Gardenia. All of these can be found in ditches in our part of the world.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

And don't forget Lavender Lady.

I don't spray anything. I love Abe Darby. Yes, it gets a good bit of black spot -- but it also has some of the world's most wonderful blooms. :-)

Others that should be included are New Dawn, Awakening, and Madame Alfred Carriere. Oh, also Heritage -- not exactly a climber, but can be trained as one. And it has the best large hips of any in my yard. Also Darlow's Enigma, which has nice tiny hips. I try to think about all four seasons, so I appreciate roses with hips! Oh, and don't forget Mutabilis! Not at all a climber, but will easily get 5 feet and higher. Disease free, everblooming, fast growing. No scent, alas. Reasonable hips.

Have fun!

• franklinjay
    16 years ago

I second the New Dawn, which covered a big pergola and bloomed like crazy the first year for me. Very little trouble with blackspot. It's a nice pink.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Dangit, that's Lavender LASSIE -- not Lavender LADY. Sorry!

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Reality check about New Dawn. It's not susceptible to the usual fungal problems but is very susceptible to Rose Rosette Disease which is common now throughout Tennessee and which will kill New Dawn and possibly roses downwind from New Dawn.
    Rose Rosette has been a problem that I've been dealing with this century. My e-book linked below details how bad a problem it can be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rosette E-book

• lancetn
    16 years ago

Thanks for the revealing information in the E Book. I don't presently grow any roses, but am considering one called Darlows Enigma for an arbor. Does anyone find this to do well?

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

IMHO, you can't kill Darlow's Enigma with a stick. It isn't the world's flashiest rose -- but it's always in bloom, it smells sweet, it's healthy, and if you don't dead-head it it makes a lot of ittybitty bright red hips. I like it!

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Darlow's even does well in half day shade! A friend in Asheville has it, and the foliage is such a healthy deep green.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?