Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

**** Spring 2013 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****

brandon7 TN_zone7
11 years ago

The Spring 2013 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held at Tyson Park, 2351 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919 on Saturday, May 18, 2013. Setup will begin at 9:30am. Swapping will begin at 10:00am. We will have a pot-luck lunch at around 11:30am or noon. Please make plans now to come join the fun on swap day! As always, newbies are especially invited to attend. There are always plenty of plants in need of good homes, fellow friendly plant addicts excited about trading, and the best food around.

Check our website, linked below, for more info. The Swap Forum section is temporarily out of order. I am trying to find the glitch and fix it, but haven't had much time to work on that.

More details will follow as they are ironed out. If anyone has any ideas on a speaker (of if you'd be willing to give a presentation), please let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: www.EastTnPlantSwap.com

This post was edited by brandon7 on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 21:26

Comments (19)

• KatyaKatya
    11 years ago

I am cautiously planning on coming.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you are thinking you might not be able to come because of work, tell them that you have been invited as a special guest to an international horticultural event. Tell them that you are sooooo excited and that you are sure they will understand that you will have to be off from work on that day. Don't give 'em a chance to say no. (-:

• GreenEarthLawns
    11 years ago

Figured I'd drop in and introduce myself; I moved to the Knoxville area last March. I started a landscaping company when I got here and am now working on starting a small nursery/produce farm hybrid and would love to meet some people with some similar interests; most people my age (mid-20's) don't have much of an interest in plants.

I'm hoping to be able to make it to the swap and meet some of you! I have a few duplicate daylilies I could bring and I'll be starting a variety of perennials this spring; I can seed some extras to bring along. UPS just delivered my heat mats today; spring's coming!

Brendan

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Brendan,

Welcome (a little late) to Knoxville. Glad you found us here on GardenWeb.

You are so right about most younger people not being into plants (or at least being into other things more). We do have a few 20-something-ers that attend the swap, but the majority of us are older than that. I do sometimes claim to be in my 20's, but people never seem to believe me! (-:

• GreenEarthLawns
    11 years ago

Thanks; glad to find the TN forum! Can't blame you for claiming to be in your 20's...with how fast the first half of my 20's went, I'm sure I'll be right there with you claiming to be in my 20's soon enough!

Looks like we've got a nice weekend coming up!

• KatyaKatya
    11 years ago

:))
    The big international event :)))

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Believe it or not, the Swap Forum on our website is up and ready! I even have email notification working now.

Here is a link that might be useful: click on the Forum tab

This post was edited by brandon7 on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 22:12

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quite a few have already posted their lists of haves and wants on the ETPS Swap Forum, but there's plenty of room still for your list! If you are coming to the swap and wish to prearrange some swaps, join us on the ETPS site. You can also go directly to the Swap Forum at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: ETPS Swap Forum - Direct Link

This post was edited by brandon7 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:29

• Sparky1961
    10 years ago

hey all! I'm from Jonesborough, new to the area....don't have plants to swap but would love to meet and greet!. Would that be ok? What's the best way to actually meet people rather than wander around aimlessly?

• KatyaKatya
    10 years ago

Hey, I am still around and probably coming! I have some plants that are not much but I am giving them away, Sparky1961. Are you in Jonesborough like next to JC? If so we are neighbors and it would be nice to meet you.

• Sparky1961
    10 years ago

Yep that jonesborough. Been here since sept and do not know a soul....I work in JC have a plot in a jc tree streets community garden. A veggie freak..tho my shady apt window box might could do with something...thanks for the offer. Perhaps we can get together around here or at swap.Anyone else here from JC-jonesborough? I did not do cool weather veg this year..setting up..and weather is delaying other planting..nothing yet cause rain and it keeps getting cold at night.
    I

• Sparky1961
    10 years ago

Yep that jonesborough. Been here since sept and do not know a soul....I work in JC have a plot in a jc tree streets community garden. A veggie freak..tho my shady apt window box might could do with something...thanks for the offer. Perhaps we can get together around here or at swap.Anyone else here from JC-jonesborough? I did not do cool weather veg this year..setting up..and weather is delaying other planting..nothing yet cause rain and it keeps getting cold at night.
    I

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sparky,
    We could definitely use a few people that are just beginning or that need more plants than they plan to bring. Many of us are trying to find a good home for our extras and have way way way more plants than we need.

• Sparky1961
    10 years ago

Thx! I just do not wanna be rude...whats the polite way to handle it when I have nothing to swap except a smile or money? I appreciare tge encouragement btw...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The polite way would be to wait until a few minutes after swapping has officially began and at least a few people, with plants to trade, have made their trades. In the mean time, you could look around and see what people have. Then, come to my table (and I'm sure many others would say the same thing), and say "wow, that sure is a neat plant". Upon hearing that, I will accost you with a barrage of offers for you to take plant home! I mean, I will ask you if you'd like to take a plant, or two, or five home with you. Seriously, if you come with a friendly demeanor and don't just start grabbing things (that has happened, but is VERY unusual), people will be trying to give you all kinds of neat plants.

• Sparky1961
    10 years ago

Thx! Good idea. I actually may have some extra veggie plants as I could only buy in multi packs....

• KatyaKatya
    10 years ago

Sparky, it sounds good! I have a plot in the Carver Gardens. I wonder if we may have met already, it is a small town.
    I said earlier that I would dig up a piece of my maypops for somebody who wanted them, but I couldn't. Maybe it is not a big loss, they can get unpredictably invasive.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maypops really can be way way too aggressive in certain conditions. They seem to behave themselves pretty well in a fence-row with plenty of competition from weeds and grass, but they can try to take over way more than their share of space when given well-tended garden conditions. Technically speaking though, they are not invasive at all. Maypops are native to this area.

I am bringing maypops to the swap, for anyone wanting them. I will tell everyone that gets one though, that they can be very very aggressive and that they need plenty of room.

• Sparky1961
    10 years ago

Hope to attend tomorrow..may bail if it is raining pretty bad..

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider