sandsquid

Memphis Swap - Spring 2009

sandsquid
15 years ago

Any suggestions on dates?

Comments (76)

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Sorry I am late to the party. Many big changes in my life. I had to leave my home and move, so I haven't many things to swap. The best news is there is a huge back yard at the new house which I am thinking will be pretty shady. I look forward to seeing you all again. John, do you want me to contact the master gardeners and see if we can get a speaker? I really enjoyed Evelyn Talada. Suggestion for topics?

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Oh man have you been missed!
    So you are going to need to get mega plants for the new yard! I will start digging for you. Any idea of what you want? I am sure we can all get it up for you.

Oh Lani does happy dance! Leigh is here!!!!!

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Leigh!!! I have been wondering where you were!!!! I don't think I have many shade plants but you know you are more than welcome to anything I have, send us out a wish list!!!

And take that finding a speaker job and run with it, you are so good at, I think we would be happy with anything. But I do think I remember a lot of interest in water gardens last time for a suggestion.

I know I have gotten a few emails from lurkers, yall know who you are........ come we would love to have you!!!

Mary

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

For those that were e-mailing me. I switched to cricket. My addy is now: atokadawn@hotmail.com

• garden_proj_mgr
    15 years ago

New to the Memphis area, and realtively new to gardening. Just curious as to whether this is an open group and what to expect for a first timer at a swap.

If this is an open invitation, what should I bring? I don't want to make assumptions but I currently have some heirloom tomato seedlings, a few annuals, and peppers.

So glad to see so many Memphians here! :)

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Yes this is an open invitation. Bring whatever you would like to swap and a dish for pot luck. We are a small group and this is a relatively a small swap as we are a new group. So nice to meet you.

Mary

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Welcome to our little group! We are open to all plant people. Love to meet like minded folks. Do come join us that day. Bring any extras you have.Any kind of plants- house, water, veggie, fruit, native. Or anything to do with plants- books, pots, crafts, if it is plants, bring it!

We always seem to have plenty to share!

• garden_proj_mgr
    15 years ago

Great! Looking forward!

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

welcome garden_proj_mgr!

Please feel free to bring anything edible Especially tomato, and peppers! Got any herbs or aromatics?

We have some (monster) 4'x8' raised beds at the church we plant for a handicapped accessible "Therapeutic Garden" for a group of developmentally challenged (Down Syndrome & Autistic) adults, so anything that they can have fun tending to, watching grow and eating, is especially welcome.

I'm starting some tomato, peas, beans, etc. just for that purpose soon as teh seed order gets here this coming week.

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Ignore him.....LOL!
    Bring anything to do with plants. garden plants, pots, books,crafts,house plants, water plants,yard decor, anything plants.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

>Ignore him.....LOL!

No juice for YOU!!!!

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Wait, wait! I need my juice............
    ***hangs head in shame*** Does that make me look pitiful enough?

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Can I bribe you with whopper strawberries?

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

So guys the date is 5/2 for sure?

I'm updating our link so I need to know what to tell Bec.

ADM John Squid, since you are making all that O-10 money...have ya'll got a dang website up yet??????????????

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anybody intersted in hearign a talk on BEE KEEPING?
    Anybody allergic to bees?

I've been trying to get in otuch w/ teh local bee keeping group to get a have placed placed at the church and figured we could do both.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is there anything special I'd need to do to plant some strawberries? (Could they go in one of those monster raisd beds we made last spring?)

I'll bring juice!

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

> So guys the date is 5/2 for sure?

Rain or Shine!!!!

>ADM John Squid, since you are making all that O-10 money...

Ahh.. no, E-5 pay!

>have ya'll got a dang website up yet??????????????

I just don't have the time to deal with it...

Between the Youth Archery Group at the church, planting and maintaining the grounds, etc. And family now _competitvely_ shooting Archery (Mrs. Squid is the TN Indoor Adult Female Freestyle Champion, and Lizard the yougest is the TN Indoor Cub Female Freestyle Champion.) I'm just waaaayy too busy! We just spent all weekend in Louisville, KY at the National Championships.
    I've "got a lot of irons in the fire" as the saying goes.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Ok, PO2 money isn't O-10 but ya'll should have someone down there that is a member that can work a site up for ya rather cheaply. :-)

Wow, PROPS to the family for those accolades! That's pretty dang impressive. Pass along my sincere congratulations. Are they shooting on the ASA tournament schedule? I bet shooters like that keeps the Ole Squid in line!!!

I'll have Bec update your info on our site.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are pretty wiped out from a busy winter league season, shooting indoor NFAA, State and Nationals.

We are going to "take it easy" and just shoot some 3D at Herb Parson's Lake ( http://www.wolfriverbowhunters.com/ )and get ready for the Youth ONLY Hunt this fall at my friends (1000 Acre, 200+ head of deer) private Ranch (URL Below)

Here is a link that might be useful: White Oaks Ranch - Wynne, Arkansas

• bigshoes213
    15 years ago

Hi! I live about a hour from Memphis in Sardis, Ms. I usually run up to Memphis to do my shopping. I am very interested in your swap if you will have me. I am hoping to have lots of herbs growing by then.

Also I was curious about the Botanical garden and zoo plant sale. What are the prices like at these two? What you would pay normally for them or a little lower? I am looking forward to attending both of these.

Thanks Everyone.

Christina

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

everybody is welcome, the more the merrier.

You don't NEED to bring anything BUT A SMILE.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Hi Christina!!

I am a fan of both plant sales. As for prices you need to watch them on common plants sometimes a little higher. But what you defintely get out of the sales is a variety that is hard to find any place else. That is especially true of the zoo plant sale. It is not the sale to wait to the last minute to go to. Go as early as you possibly can for the best plant selection.

Mary

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

John, both Atokateddy and I are highly allergic to bees. We will have to carry our epie pens if you have that talk.There is not a master gardener that can come? Not trying to be difficult, just checking.

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Okay, up late and late to the thread as usual! Regarding the Zoo sale: remember that our last Master Gardener Speaker, Ms. Evelyn Talada, propagates fabulous Tropicals for the zoo sale. In particular, the Porterweed, which she showed us how to propagate last fall. Also,I got some seasonal dahlias for Super cheap! So, Christina, definitely go to the Zoo sale. Last year, Memphis Botanical Garden sale had some really good shrubs at reasonable prices...perennials, a little too much, I think. $6 to $10 per. Trust me... you can get most of them by swap or for less at the nurseries. Support you local Nurseries! They really need us this year! Now, as to topics... I am thinking we have an interest in water features carried over from last year. I will ask about that. Please, everyone; choose a topic. I am emailing them ASAP to request a speaker. The sooner we decide the sooner we can choose. May 2nd seems to still be a good time to get someone, according to my friend Ava who is taking the master garden course this year. I need to know by Monday at the latest. Thank you all and Gosh! I can't wait to see you!

• mstagjd120
    15 years ago

Hi Leigh - I like the water feature topic idea. I did a little pond improvement myself last year & would like some good ideas & water talk.
    Jennifer

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Can we go with Leigh on this one? Please????? The thought of bees is really not good for me.I will be there with bells on for the water feature talk.

To bribe John, will me picking dandilions be a good bribe?I will even start tomorrow if you let us have water person.

• mstagjd120
    15 years ago

What's the story on the dandelions? I am seeing them in the yard now and picking the flowers off & throwing them away. Does John want them?

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I think the water features is a good idea!!!

Mary

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

John makes errrrrr, "juice": out of them. I gather them in a gallon bucket and throw them in the freezer for him.

• judydean
    15 years ago

I vote for the water feature speaker too! Not sure yet what I'm bringing (besides myself). Waiting for my seeds to sprout to see what's left over. I only know there will be no parsley - none of those suckers came up!! Darn and darn. : ( Judy

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

Hello Everybody.............! Been off the puter for most of the winter months with health issues but I'm getting back in the swing slowly. If all goes well health wise, May 2 would work good for me too. I dont know what I will have to bring, but I am going to be redoing alot of my plants in my beds and may bring the extras. Good to see everyone and I sure hope I can make it...(fingers crossed). I also would be interested in a speaker on water gardening since I have 2 of my own. Talk to you all later......Jackie

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes, I need YELLOW dandelions, that have not gone to seed yet.
    LOTS of them....

Each two quarts of petals only will make 2 Gallon of "juice"

Ideally, the flowers should be picked at midday when they are fully open.

You do not need to pick the petals off the flower heads( you can if you want to, it'll save me lots of time ;-), but the heads should be trimmed of any stalk, and as much "green" should be removed as soon as possible, like at the time of picking.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

So then do we freeze them till we see ya?

Mary

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

I froze them for him last time. He said they were good to go.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As long as they have not gone to seed (there is no "white fluff") freeze away.

We can have a petal plucking party, and all have yellow and green finger tips !

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As long as they have not gone to seed (there is no "white fluff") freeze away. Remember, I need LOTS of those little yellow suckers.

We can have a petal plucking party, and all have yellow and green finger tips!

Whatever we make this year we can sample next year!

The approach to making dandelion "juice" differs enormously... I use the petals only.

The best "Dandelion Juice" recipe
    (makes one gallon)

* 2 qts dandelion flower PETALS ONLY
    * 2 lbs 11 oz granulated sugar
    * 4 oranges
    * 1 gallon water
    * yeast and nutrient

The traditional "Midday Dandelion Wine" of old, named thus because the flowers were picked at midday when they are fully open.

Pick the flowers and bring into the kitchen.

Set one gallon of water to boil.

While it heats up to a boil, remove petals.

Pour the boiling water over the flower petals, cover with cloth, and leave to seep for two days. Do not exceed two days.

Pour the mixture back into a pot and bring to a boil.

Add the peelings from the four oranges (no white pith) and boil for ten minutes.

Strain through a muslin cloth or bag onto a crock or plastic pail containing the sugar, stirring to dissolve.

When cool, add the juice of the oranges, the yeast and yeast nutrient.

Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, install air lock, and allow to ferment completely.

Rack and bottle when wine clears.

Allow it to age a year in the bottle before tasting.

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Hi Leigh, Ava coming to the swap this time? I hope so. Tell her I said hello.

Sure miss you all and do so look forward to seeing you all soon!

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Hellllllllo? Where is everyone?

• garden_proj_mgr
    15 years ago

Wow dandelion juice sounds wild!

I sustained myself during the winter by watching these great English gardening shows. A recurring theme was on elder flower champagne that sounds awesome. Any chance of finding elder flowers in the Memphis area? Not many hedge rows in the south :o)

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

You Memphis folks sound like a lot of fun. I have got much on my plate this year but hope to make the trek in the future. I have not been to Memhis in 22 years. I hope your swap is much fun! Rhonda

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

> Any chance of finding elder flowers in the Memphis area?
    > Not many hedge rows in the south

I have 3 Elderberry bushes I planted last year that came back and I'm layering off LOTS of clones this year. This year I can't spare any flowers because I need the berries for Elderberry "juice"... but NEXT year, we'll have tons of them.

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

John, I have so far gotten you almost a gallon of pure petals ready in the freezer. Does this mean I get some dandlion juice this year?

I am still out picking everyday.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This years dandelion petals will mane next years juice.

The bag I got last year made about a 750ml, and I kind of over-proofed it ;-(

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

Not fair..... i did petals last year too. Was waiting for the juice this year! Now I am gonna pout!

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have juice for you, just not dandelion juice.

Just think "White Chocolate White Port" ;-)

• fernzilla
    15 years ago

Greetings to all:

Mary (Maemae) was kind enough to invite me to the Spring Plant Swap this year. If I am not scheduled to work, I am going to try and come. I told her I didn't have much to swap, but if it is held May 2, I may be able to come up with a few things by then.
    I certainly have seen lots of Dandelion Flowers all over. Jeez and I have been plucking and throwing away, so they didn't go to seed. I didn't know you guys made wine from them.Lol
    I do have a recipe for the most Divine Brownees. A friend turned me on to them, and I don't even like Brownees.

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

fernzilla,

I think John said to come with a smile..........

• judydean
    15 years ago

By all means, come with a smile, but some brownies wouldn't go unappreciated. Not to worry if you don't have anything to swap, there'll be plenty of plant lovers who will share what they bring, including me. Judy

• garden_proj_mgr
    15 years ago

Does anyone have any spare red wigglers they could swap to help me get a jump start on vermicomposting?

• atokadawn
    15 years ago

One week away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited!!!!!!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus