Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

Nashville and Chatt area -- nice bamboo varieties for sale -

Amazindirt (7a TN)
15 years ago

I found this ad on Craigslist. Although the guy lives near Chattanooga, he'll be in the Nashville area in the next week or two. I'm going to buy some bamboo from him, and I thought some of y'all might like to get some as well. IMHO he has nice varieties and good prices. He has:

"Varieties include; black bamboo (p. nigra), yellow groove (p. aureasulcata), giant grey bamboo (p. nigra 'henon'), flute bamboo (p. rubromarginata), blue bamboo (p. glauca), shiroshima (hibanobambusa tranquilans 'Shiroshima') and bissetii (p. bissetii).

B&B

Conservation grade 5ft plant $10

Landscape grade 8ft-12ft multicane plant $20

Container Grown

#7 plant $15

#15 plant $20

#20 plant $25 "

If you're interested, just let me know so we can coordinate!

Comments (32)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Those look like very good prices. Too bad there aren't some Fargesias or other clumpers thrown in there.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm gonna get some nigra and some 'Shiroshima' and grow em in pots. :-)

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Oh wow...I'd love to have some nigra! Do you know how tall it gets?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Phyllostachys nigra:
    running type (slower compared to some runners, but can get pretty aggressive if happy)
    25'-40'(height) x 2"(diameter)
    hardy to 0-5 degrees F

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Thank you for that Brandon :) I'm going to put it in a pot, too.

Hey, my mom and I are both in for a Nigra. She may also want a couple more...she's with Davidson Co. Master Gardeners, and the Lawn and Garden show is coming up so she is thinking they might want to have some in their booth. So, how do we do this? Are you thinking we could all meet the guy somewhere?

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Figure out exactly how much you want of which varieties, and tell me. I'll tell the guy, and he'll tell me after he has figured out when he'll be in town. Then we can either arrange to meet him, or I can pick the plants up and you can meet me sometime.

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

OK, thank you! I will let you know what we need by tomorrow. Oh, so exciting! I have been wanting black bamboo for quite a while now, and this sounds like such a killer deal! :) Thanks for sharing it with us!

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

Hi Doc, Those prices sound too good to pass. I am hoping one of these are hardy here.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I *think* they all are. I can't swear to it. If you do a google search, you can find lots of info on all of em.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Here are the basic specs for the bamboos mentioned in the offer:

Phyllostachys nigra / Black Bamboo:
    running type (moderate compared to some runners, but can get pretty aggressive if happy)
    25' to 40'(height) x 2"(diameter)
    hardy down to 0 to 5 degrees F / zone 7 to 7b

Phyllostachys aureosulcata (pretty sure this is the correct spelling) / Yellow Groove Bamboo:
    aggressive running type
    25' to 40' x 2"
    hardy down to -20 to -10 degrees / zone 5 to 6

Phyllostachys nigra 'henon' / Giant Gray Bamboo:
    aggressive running type
    50' to 65' x 3.5"
    hardy down to -5 to 0 degrees / zone 6b to 7

Phyllostachys rubromarginata / Red Margin Bamboo:
    aggressive running type
    40' to 65' x 3.5"
    hardy down to -15 to -5 degrees / zone 5b to 6b

Phyllostachys glauca / Blue Bamboo:
    aggressive running type
    30' to 35' x 2"
    hardy down to 0 to 3 degrees / zone 6

x Hibanobambusa tranquilans (or tranquillans) 'Shiroshima' (no idea which spelling is correct):
    moderate running type
    10' to 16' x 1 1/4"
    hardy down to 0 degrees / zone 6

Phyllostachys bissetii / David Bisset Bamboo:
    aggressive running type
    20' to 45' x 1"
    hardy down to -15 to -10 degrees / zone 5b to 6

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Oops, that x in front of Hibanobambusa should be a capital X.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An additional note --

In the nigra and 'Shiroshima', it turns out he only has the balled and burlapped -- and only in the $20 size. I'm getting one of each. I dunno about other varieties.

If anyone wants bamboo, let me know before Monday. I promised him I'd give him a total!

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

OK, put me down for two Nigras, one for me and one for Mom :)

Thank you so much for doing this!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got it. Remember, he said he's only got the nigra in balled and burlapped -- so that'll be $20 each.

Anybody else?? I told the guy I'd give him a final order on Monday!

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Yep, got it! Just let me know when and where to come get them. :)

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

OK...if you have not already placed the order, could we get one more (for a total of three) Nigras?

If you've already told him, don't worry about it! :) My aunt said she would like one as well, but she knows you may have already talked to the guy...

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No sweat -- I'm sure he'd be happy to add another!

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Awesome! Thanks! :D

• ford_gardener
    15 years ago

Has this order already been placed? I'm looking for 3 root balls of the black bamboo. If you guys have ordered, what is the quality like?

Thanks,
    Ford

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hiya --

I told him what we wanted, but he hasn't been to Nashville to deliver yet. I'll check and see if he could bring three additional nigras. Stay Tuned.

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

I'm staying tuned :)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bad news, folks --

I THINK this supplier has backed out on us. He wrote me Friday to tell me he was going to be in Nashville on Saturday -- but he was only bringing one nigra, and he was charging $50 for it!

I asked him if we still had an agreement, and his answer was that it might take him a long time to get our plants ready.

I am interpreting that to mean that he's backing out on the deal.

I'm sorry I got y'all's hopes up! If this guy does make good after all I'll let you know -- but don't expect too much!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

That deal seemed a little strange from the start. Good quality rhizomes usually go for considerably more than the prices he was quoting. I was wondering if the deal was going to turn out to be good or not. There seems to be a lot of fly-by-night bamboo salespeople, and I was hoping this deal wasn't going to go bad on you all.

• gaijingirl
    15 years ago

I also saw this ad on Craigslist.
    I wondered if it was the same people from growit.com, since I believe that the poster was from Summertown, TN and that is also where this Nursery (growit.com) is located.

Here is a link that might be useful: GrowIt Website

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Oh well, no big deal! It would have been cool, but I was going to have to spend three or four times the cost of the bamboo on something to put it in (LOL), so maybe it's a blessing! I'm cool either way. Thanks again though for including everyone in on it!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Connie, that sounds like me. I keep buying all these plants thinking what I good deal I'm getting. Then I get home and realize that the pot, the soil, and the labor to plant them just made my good deal not nearly as good of a deal as I thought. Then I go out and see another good deal and it starts all over again.....

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The name of the guy I've been corresponding with isn't the same as the names on that web site, but I bet it's the same outfit.

My theory is that he had a few plants left over from last year that he was getting rid of. Now it's spring again, and he doesn't want to honor those low winter prices. Oh well!

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Yeah, I'll bet you're exactly right. Example: I went to Babylon Gardens a couple of weeks ago and they had a bunch of their evergreen trees and shrubs for 50% off. I got a couple of China Boy hollies and two Emerald Green Arbs. Things were pretty picked over, but those were some things I was specifically looking for so I jumped on them.

I went back down there last week and the same leftover bushes were back to full price ;) Spring does that I guess!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

At the lawn and garden show this weekend, black bamboo with one cane was selling for $75. =:-o

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

HOOOOOLY MOLY!!! I didn't see that. Wow.

• Andreawillmott_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have some golden bamboo, which may be what ur calling yellow groove. I bought it around 6 yrs ago and it has just taken off and a little much for my taste. If any one is interested in buying some for cheap email me, andreawillmott@gmail.com I live just outside of Nashville TN. Oh, and I have a picture if u need one.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Annie: While it doesn't sound like you are trying to get rich selling your bamboo, this is really not the place to try to sell it at all. TOS rules prohibit advertising like this on Gardenweb forums. If you want to trade it for something or give it away, you could post that on here or on the Plant Exchange Forum.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?