Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydean_gw

West TN swap

judydean
14 years ago

My computer died and I have been offline a long time. Did I miss info on the swap? Judy

Comments (87)

• leighmac
    14 years ago

Any one heard from John? Are we sure we have the church this Saturday? I suppose we can still show up there, since we tend to stay outside.

• judydean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jennifer, what a great idea about the name tags! I'm gonna try and remember some plant identification books. It seems like we sometimes need one. Hope we hear from John. Weather prediction this morning said rain, so we may need to move inside again this year like last year (or was it the year before?). Do you think it's us?? Judy

• leighmac
    14 years ago

Weather alert:
    SEVERE WEATHER POSSIBLE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT...THEN A MAJOR SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK EXPECTED SATURDAY...A COMPLEX WEATHER SITUATION IS UNFOLDING FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.
    A WARM...MOIST...AND UNSTABLE AIRMASS WILL OVERTAKE THE MIDSOUTH FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THIS UNSTABLE AIRMASS IN COMBINATION WITH STRENGTHENING WIND SHEAR COULD CAUSE SOME SEVERE STORMS TO DEVELOP LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND PERSIST THROUGH LATE FRIDAY EVENING.
    THE UNCERTAINTY OF FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT HINGES ON WHETHER AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE CAN TRIGGER THUNDERSTORMS. HOWEVER...ANY THUNDERSTORM THAT MANAGES TO DEVELOP DURING THIS TIME HAS A GOOD
    CHANCE OF BECOMING SEVERE WITH DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL GIVEN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS.
    THE SEVERE THREAT INCREASES MARKEDLY SATURDAY AS A RAPIDLY
    STRENGTHENING SURFACE LOW TRACKS FROM SOUTH TEXAS TO SOUTHERN ILLINOIS. A MAJOR SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK IS LIKELY TO UNFOLD BY LATE SATURDAY MORNING ACROSS MOST OF THE MIDSOUTH. THE BEST CHANCE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS SATURDAY WILL BE ALONG AND EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. EVEN STRONGER WIND SHEAR AND A CONTINUATION OF UNSTABLE CONDITIONS COULD PRODUCE TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL...AND
    WIDESPREAD WIND DAMAGE WITH STORMS. FLASH FLOODING WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE.
    THE BEST WINDOW FOR SEVERE WEATHER WILL BE FROM 4 PM TO MIDNIGHT FRIDAY...AND FROM 10 AM TO 7 PM SATURDAY.

Should we decide on a rain date?

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

Okay, I am following this post very close right now. Someone decide please. I need to know something.

• leighmac
    14 years ago

I can handle rain, but I don't like the idea of being in a storm so far away from my house. Also, I don't expect my son to come with me either, so that would be a huge worry to me. According to a 10 day forecast, Sat. May 1st is supposed to be sunny. I know a couple of people have to ask off work to be there, so I am not sure what to do.

• mstagjd120
    14 years ago

Yikes - depending on the forecast tonight, I think we should not take a chance because there are several people who are coming from outside the Memphis area. That is easy for me to say b/c I don't have to ask off for work for a May 1 date though. Mary - are you working next weekend? Wonder if we could even have it at the church next weekend? Anyone heard from John?

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

If we need to change the date May 1st actually works better for me cause I don't work the night before. I think at one time we had talked about the 1st but don't remember why didn't go with that date. So with that I will leave it up to everybody else.

Mary

• judydean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

May 1st is OK with me. Could we meet at a park like Overton, Audobun (I can't spell - too tired), Shelby Forest or Shelby Farms? We could just put the plants on picnic tables. That is, if John can't get the church. We are a small group and not very rowdy. I also think it would be good to get a tentative head count so we know how much food to bring. I want to bring enough, but don't want to be eating it all week as left overs. Judy

• mstagjd120
    14 years ago

OK, any comment from garden_proj_mgr, golfngardennut, or millingtoncb? And John sandsquid?

My vote is to go with May 1 and I think a park is a good idea unless we hear something from John. Better safe than sorry on the weather, probably. I'll bring breakfast on May 1 and John can have a break on pancake duty.

Lani, do you think Jackie would be interested in a may 1 date?

-Jennifer

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

Judy you said we aren't very rowdy? What group are you talking about......just kidding!!!

Mary

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

The first is good for me too. Jackie is working nights and will not be able to come. But I am bringing her plants. So want me to e-mail the others? I have sent a e-mail to John. But am waiting for a reply.

• leighmac
    14 years ago

While waiting for John to reply, I will call the church and ask about using it for Sat. May 1st. I bet it will be okay.

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

I called John's cell phone.Waiting for call back.

• mstagjd120
    14 years ago

so is it off tomorrow - we'll reschedule to next week to the church or a park?

-Jennifer

• judydean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I vote to wait until next Saturday. Judy

• golfngardennut
    14 years ago

Sorry, guys - I can't, out of town on the first of every month...

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

I am sorry we are going to miss you golfngardnut. Maybe the fall swap.

I got a call from John! He said it is a GO for the 1st! We are going to have the church! WooHoo!
    One week to go.Now everyone go get in a safe spot for the storm.

P.S. Judy, I am planing on at least 15-20 for the meal.

• judydean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great, Lani! See ya next Saturday at the church! Judy

• leighmac
    14 years ago

Based on my experience here in the U of M area, it was a very good call to postpone! How's everyone else? We got a good dumping of rain and some wind. Sunny out right now.

I am bring banana pudding for our dessert.

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

I am getting e-mails from about 10 people that are wanting to join us at the swap. Cross your fingers that we will grow just alittle.

Leigh, Can I bring my own special spoon for the puddin????? It is only my serving spoon. I promise to share if I gotta. LOL!

• millingtoncb
    14 years ago

I want to be there, but have a birthday party to attend at 2, may just skip it :), the birthday party that is

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

millingtoncb, You could come till time for the party. We start early. If you want us to, we will even chase you off on time.LOL!

• sandsquid
    14 years ago

We are a 100% _-~* GO *~-_ for Saturday 01 MAY 2010.

In case I'm late, just make yourselves at home, you all know what goes where by now.

I have to drive out to Eva, TN right after work Friday night. I will either turn right back around and drive back, or come back first thing in the morning depending upon how tired I am when I get there.

• sjackwheat
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!!! I finally got a chance to log on and catch up on the Spring swap thread going here. I wish I didn't have to work but as the saying goes, I OWE,I OWE,so OFF TO WORK I GO! And trust me when I say that it is going to be with GREAT regret that I am unable to come this time. I have gathered up a few plants and dropped them off at Lani's house, so she will be bringing what I had. I am putting this favor request out for anyone that has extra pot that they are not going to need. I am in dire need of some(many) because I have 1000 Oriental,Asiatic and LA lily bulbs on their way to me right now and I need POTS please. I have around 200 but that is not nearly going to be enough. I know, I am crazy but there is a method to my madness for the future. Oh yeah, if anyone has any Iris of a unusual color, I want a couple of them. Heck, just send me anything, I love them all. Sure wished I was going to be there but I will be keeping up with this post and be thinking about all of yall. Have fun!!!! Jackie

• judydean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jackie, I will be bringing several gorgeous irises and will pass some to Lani for you. There will be more if anyone else wants some. Judy

• leighmac
    14 years ago

Jackie,
    I really hate not to see you but I understand about work. What size pots are you talking about? I have tons of the nursery pots; from gallon size on down to 3". I have been wanting to get rid of them but they can't be recycled and I hate to throw them in the city trash. Let me know.
    Regarding breakfast...I can bring coffee and donuts.
    Lani... you keep your "spoon" outta the pudding until everyone has some, then it's all yours! Oh, and sorry, but I don't "do" meringue.

• sjackwheat
    14 years ago

Any and all sizes are good! Looks like I am going to be potting up various sized bulbs for the time being.If it is ok with Lani, just send them by her and the plants to and then I will get by her house and pick them up. I should have some time off the next week hopefully. Maybe in the fall I will be off on the swap day and I can come then. By then my second greenhouse project that is also going up right now, should be finished and with some green-thumbed luck, I'll have lots of goodies to share. (Lilies should not be a problem by then........LOL)
    By the way, Jennifer, the Solomans seal and the Turks cap lilies are beautiful. The seal is actually blooming right now and the Turks cap is putting up but did load up with more blooms last year. Mary, I got a seed pod off of the GIANT Brugs that I got from you and I harvested about 50 seeds out of it. Can't wait to try them in the greenhouse. Judy, the Earl of Essex was "Eye Candy" for me also. It has already bloomed here. Send more anytime. I love em! John, The Mondo Cardox is putting up some leaves and the Elderberry is about 3 feet tall now, so all my trade goodies are doing great. Isn't it great to have such good trades? Well, gotta run for now and Thanks with HUGS!!!! Jackie

• sandsquid
    13 years ago

Considering the forecasted inclement weather, I believe it is best we set-up inside the gymnasium.

• judydean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good idea! I'm glad we aren't talking about waiting another week. After last week's forecast, I drug my plants into the garage so they wouldn't get too beatup, but I don't think they'll hold for another week. These guys need to get in the dirt! Judy

• atokadawn
    13 years ago

I will be there with bells on! I am soooooo looking forward to this. I have everything ready to load.

Johm, will the building be open for us?

• traciham
    13 years ago

Hi everyone. I love to read the posts from this forum when I can. Guess you would call me a lurker. I do post every once in a while on some forums. I was interested in possibly participating in the swap this weekend. My daughter is suppose to have a softball game so it is not in concrete at this point due to the weather. Just wanted to let you know just in case I pop in. I love reading everyone's post here. Seems like a wonderful group of people. Atokadawn.. I am from your neck of the woods. I live in Atoka myself. Maybe I will see everyone there. I don't have too much. If I am able to come, I will have some cannas, blackeyed susans, a few hostas (guacamole) and maybe some irises. I have tons of home and garden magazines as well. Is there anything else I need to do? Also, what time is it at? I am kind of at work right now and don't have time to read all the posts. I tried to skim through it real fast and didn't see anything. I will check by shortly. Got to get back to work. Thanks.

• mstagjd120
    13 years ago

Traciham - please come & join us!

Does 8:30-9:00ish sound too early for everyone?

I can't wait - see you all soon,
    -jennifer

• judydean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds like a good time to me. I have to leave right after lunch to get a haircut at 1:00. Judy

• sandsquid
    13 years ago

>> have to leave right after lunch to get a haircut at 1:00.

Judy,
    No need to leave the party and pay for a haircut!
    I'll bring my electric clippers, and fix you up nice-nice.

• maemae0312
    13 years ago

Jennifer 0830-0930? I told my daughter we had to be there at 8!! guess I can get an extra 30 minutes of sleep!!! Can't wait to see everybody!!!

• judydean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yipes!

• atokadawn
    13 years ago

WoooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooo Swap Day !!!!!!!!
    I am ready to go!

• mstagjd120
    13 years ago

Stupid tornadoes.

• millingtoncb
    13 years ago

did anyone go? I couldnt get out of shelby forest until a couple of hours ago, roads were flooded and LOTS of flooding in Millington

• atokadawn
    13 years ago

All of the regulars were there.Mary, Leigh,Judy, and I. I came in from T-county. I went thru all the flooded areas and did fine till I hit Covington Pike right at Yale. That is where the truck stalled out in a huge flooded road. But the group came to the rescue and came to get me! (Got to love Leigh!)
    mstagjd120 came in late but got there too!
    It was a great time and we had a teriffic lunch! Had tons left over so we all have supper done too!
    Now if the rain will let up enough for us to get our new goodies planted.

For those that missed the swap, we will see you in the fall!

• maemae0312
    13 years ago

a small group of us made it there. Wished we could have met you but I know the weather is really bad. One of gals AtokaDawn's car got flooded out and we had to go rescue her. So hoping for the weather to cooperate in the fall.

• maemae0312
    13 years ago

• mstagjd120
    13 years ago

I got there late (just in time for lunch ;) and we had a great time as usual. Great to see everyone and looking forward to fall.

everyone stay safe and dry and take care,

Jennifer

• judydean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I had to leave early. Had a great time, as usual. Jennifer, I forgot to get an heirloom tomato! Maybe next spring. Thanks to all for my goodies! Judy

• atokadawn
    13 years ago

Mary, I heard that it was a dam by the navy base that broke and caused the flood by the funeral home. They were getting folks out of that area.We went thru just in time. Most of Millington is closed now.

I am already looking forward to the fall swap!!!!!!!!

• sandsquid
    13 years ago

if you all hadn't heard yet the levy failed and the town if Millington was flooded. the Navy Base is now a Submarine Base:

The building I work at is under 6 to 8 feet of water.

• Weed_in_Bloom
    12 years ago

Is there a list where I can sign up to make sure I'm notified of the fall plant swap? I moved out between Mason and Covington 5 years ago and have about 2 acres in which to play with plants but possess a very meager budget. I have plenty of plants to divide, some that were from my maternal grandmother's yard and I've drug starts with me every where I've roamed. We also expanded our vegetable garden to 30'x30' in hopes I might actually get enough to can this year. I put up 6 jars of the most expensive, but tasty, cans of spaghetti sauce ever last year. I'm learning a lot by trail, error, and sheer will power so any interaction with information and advice is welcome. Lori aka Weed_in_Bloom

• leighmac
    12 years ago

Weed in Bloom,
    Welcome and join us on facebook. Look for "West TN Gardeners Swap Group" that is where you will find our dates and the other members we swap with.

• sroberson
    12 years ago

Hello everyone,I live in Gibson County so Iam about 95 miles from ya'll it look like everybody is from Shelby county.I was wondering do any of you grow roses and if so how are they doing.Mine are'nt doing so well after all the rain and flooding.Now it looks like we are in for a drought.I hope someone can give some advice on how to rehal my roses.Thanks Sherry

• judydean
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sherry, read the post above yours. We now use Facebook to keep up with each other. Just because I don't do roses (except the knockout ones) doesn't mean the others don't. The Rose Society website might have some answers. Generally, I think everyone is having trouble with this wet, then dry and hot weather. I would think spraying for blackspot and aphids and soaker hose water which is what I did back when I had real roses, but I gave up. There may be a rose forum here on Gardenweb that could help you too.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!