Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You think my Needle palm is doing alright?

Posted by plateau_boy 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 13:00

I've been growing it here on the plateau in Tn for 2 or 3 years so far. I covered it heavily with mulch and maybe bubble wrap the first winter (lowest temp was 8 degrees), but it seemed like it almost died that year, all its leaves turned white. I don't think it lost any leaves last winter, I covered it with a little less mulch. This winter, it has been doing great with only a little mulch I put on in January as protection, as I've only seen the temp drop to the teens a couple times. All its leaves are still green except a few really old leaves that got a little brown. But, one thing that bothers me is I can't tell if its central frond is still alive. It popped up in the fall and hasn't grown since. I hope that means the tree is still alright. I have some photos I took today if I can figure out how to post them, I tried to show the frond but it is hard to see. If anyone has experience with these palms, let me know please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You think my Needle palm is doing alright?

My own experience is I don't baby mine at all. I have had mine for maybe 5 years now and it is doing great. I don't cover or mulch it at all. There shouldn't have been weather cold enough to bother it the last few years. Maybe if i see temps dropping close to zero or less I would worry. I'm near Nashville so I am maybe 3 or 4 degrees warmer than the plateau. My Sabal Birmingham has done well also.

o

My own experience is I don't baby mine at all. I have had mine for maybe 5 years now and it is doing great. I don't cover or mulch it at all. There shouldn't have been weather cold enough to bother it the last few years. Maybe if i see temps dropping close to zero or less I would worry. I'm near Nashville so I am maybe 3 or 4 degrees warmer than the plateau. My Sabal Birmingham has done well also.

o

Thanks for your post midtn. I still feel new to growing 'exotic' plants here. I heard that the needle palm is less hardy when it is young and should be covered up its first winter. I bought it really small in a pot, it could fit in my hand. I covered it up in January more because of the freezing and the snow rather then temps this winter. I'm not really sure how well they handle that. I've also not had the best experience growing palms here. I had a mexican and some other type of palm tree but the constant moisture and freezes killed them off I'm afraid.. They both survived about two winters each. Also, my needle palm didn't do so well its first winter, I guess cause it was so young.

o

Here the frond I was talking about below. I really can't tell if it is dead or dormant. Please someone help, it would be much appreciated. I heard the central frond is like the heart of a palm tree. Is it dead or alive and does it matter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here