Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Your favorite early daff? Snowdrop?

anntn6b
16 years ago

Do you have a favorite (or better more than one favorite) daffodil that blooms early in (east) Tennessee?

And do Snowdrops bloom really early here?

There's been so much about the very early bloom of Snowdrops in the UK this year. I don't think I've ever seen snowdrops used around there for early bloom.

Any other bulbs, other than crocus?

Comments (10)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

The old daffs that were here when I bought the house are probably Rip Van Winkle. They are always reliable. But this year I bought 75 more Jetfire daffs, because the ones I bought a few years ago blooming in Walmart pots have done so danged well for me. Great naturalizers! I have both Jetfire and Tete-a-Tete, but I prefer the Jetfires.

My mom has already had a daff blooming in Nashville this spring, but she doesn't know what it was. I'm betting it was Jetfire, though.

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What is the correct name for the old fashioned daff like bulbs (same foliage) but different style bloom that have hundreds of petals squeezed in each bloom and that often have a yellowish-green to yellow petal color.
    Driving home two days ago, I saw a patch of those up and with heavy (albeit unopened) buds. (I've been watching those for years and will rescue them if the road gets widened.)

• madmouser
    16 years ago

I had two February Gold daffodils open in mid-January. The other 10 in that pot are showing no signs of blooming. All potted last year and all bloomed last year.
    I do have some small early crocuses up. They opened last week. All my bulbs seem to be thoroughly confused by the weather.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Ann -- those are probably Rip Van Winkle. It's an old, small, very very double but with shredded-looking petals, daff. Mine have buds, but no blooms so far.

Laura -- I'll have to check out that variety. I love the early ones!

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

There is a small variety blooming right now. Have seen them in Sequoyah Hills and Fort Sanders.

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

Our yellow crocus started bloomimg on Monday! No purples yet. Tulips are up about 3"-4". Spring is on the way.

My favorite daffs are the ones with the white petals and the small cup orange center, naturally! We have some doubles that are killer too. There is one called "Marabou" that I would love to have.

• decolady01
    16 years ago

My very favourite is Early Louisiana. My great-grandmother had those and Butter-and-Eggs that she consistently shared with family and friends. After she passed away, they pretty much took over her front yard in Louisiana. I have dug bags and bags of them from there and planted them at our farm. The fragrance is divine. Here's a photo I made last spring of some of the ones lining the walkway to the front door. (Butter-and-Eggs are on the other side of the walk. The Bridal Wreath in the background came from her house, too.)

Becky

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Hey Ann --

You were asking about snowdrops. I saw a bunch blooming in a yard in OR on Friday. So this is how early they bloom around here. :-)

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becky,
    That photo is simply wonderful.
    (Do you have an old timey hydragea? Every log cabins needs one (and mine at the end of our log cabin has a couple of babies)?
    I found a few crocus blooms that came up in spite of rabbits near total feast on the crocus leaves. They are going to be hard pressed to put on leaves to strengthen their bulbs for the future.
    And I will add snowdrops and early daffs.
    The country side needs COLOR!

• decolady01
    16 years ago

Ann, thank you so much. I do love that photo. And yes! We do have old timey hydrangeas. These came from my mother-in-law's house years ago.

Since this photo was made I have divided the bushes and moved some over by the log smokehouse. (That's the building in the first photo.) This weekend I noticed I have Snow Drops coming up, but none are blooming yet.

Becky

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21