Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Volunteer Gardener mulch recommendations

Posted by krikit Z7 TN (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 13:43

I saw on the Volunteer Gardener's saturday show that it is better to use pine mulch, pine straw mulch, or cedar mulch. Unfortunately the place where I usually get mulch by the scoop only sells hardwood, and told me that to get these other types of mulch you have to buy it by the bag from places like Lowe's. Is that true, or is there a bulk supplier in the Knoxville (preferably NE Knox) area?

Thanks,
Frances

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Volunteer Gardener mulch recommendations

Frances,
I wandered onto a composting site several years ago from Texas and it argued persuasively that the best mulch is from the local trees as it has the local trace minerals, etc. that won't be replenished if ...well, for example, pine mulch from sandy soils come in.
Pine needles do have the advantage of acidifying our soils, disadvantages include hurting when they stick me when weeds do come up through the needles as they break down. Pine bark ....well a lot like ground up pallets.
I'm really happy with the mulch we get at Shamrock Organics, which seems to the be source of a lot of local mulch sellers, who double the prices.
(I'm not a fan of pine forests, except they grow good azaleas as understory plants.)
Ann

o
RE: Volunteer Gardener mulch recommendations

Where is the best place to buy low priced mulch and/or compost in the middle Tennessee area?
Does anyone know anything about the place south of downtown Nashville, I think, that beats ups hundreds of pumpkins in the fall and then sells compost made from them later?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here