Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves on Flowerbeds - do I remove them?

Posted by paulakparker TN7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 14:49

Last fall, rather than rake and bag the oak leaves in my yard, I used them to cover the flower beds.

My question is, do I remove these leaves when it gets warmer and if so, when? Or do I leave them to decompose on the flower beds? If I leave them, can I cover them with mulch later?

Paula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves on Flowerbeds - do I remove them?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 19:23

I would leave the leaves in place to act as mulch and decompose to add nutrients to the bed, unless you are talking about a thick layer. With a thin layer of leaves, the only possible downfalls would be aesthetics (if you didn't like the looks of the leaves) or disease (sometimes mulch can provide a place for fungal disease to reside), but, unless you are aware of a disease issue in your beds, the benefits should outweigh the negatives.

If you added lots of leaves, they could form a barrier to proper drainage and aeration, and provide an even higher potential for disease retention. If lots of leaves are present, you might consider removing some of them. You don't want a thick, solid, impermeable mat of leaves.

Finally, if you have woody plants in your beds, make sure the leaves are raked away from the base of those plants so as not to touch the bark. Leaves, or other types of mulch, should not be placed up against bark.

o
RE: Leaves on Flowerbeds - do I remove them?

I agree with Brandon but want to add one more thing, if it is Oak leaves they can take a long time to break down. I would remove the oak leaves and shred them, then either put them back or compost them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here