Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junebugntn

What to do with the lawn?

junebugntn
14 years ago

Need some suggestions. Just moved into a two year old house in Jasper, TN with a questionable lawn. Looks like it might have fescue in it. Also has lots of brown stuff. We're located in what might have been a field in the recent past. In the valley, not on a mountain. Should I put out a pre-emergent for summer weeds or wait and re-seed to get the lawn in better shape? Which type of fescue would you recommend. Yard is mostly sunny, I think...hard to tell with all the cloudy, snowy weather of the last two weeks! Thanks for the help.

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Did you have a weed problem last year? Why do you think you need a pre-emergent? Is the "brown stuff" grass (like Bermuda grass, for instance) or weeds? Were you happy with the way the yard looked last year in the warmer seasons? Are you looking for a 'perfect' yard (ie monoculture) or are you trying to solve a problem (too many weeds and/or wrong mix of grasses)?

• junebugntn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just moved into this house 2 weeks ago, so don't know what it looked like in warmer weather. Was in the yard today, and the "brown stuff" may be bermuda. Its looks like it might have trailers and short fine blades. The way the yard looks now, its a mixture of mostly brown and a few areas of green fescue, and then there is onion grass. I don't want the perfect lawn, but I would like to improve the fescue part to something that looks somewhat cohesive. At this point, there are no trees in the yard so I guess it is a mostly sunny yard. I will be adding trees and shrubs in the near future. Can the fescue work for me? Thanks for your help.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Turf is not my strong point, but I knew some of the questions I asked above would need to be answered. Pre-emergent won't do anything for Bermuda grass or wild garlic/onions.

Unfortunately, Bermuda grass is somewhat hard to get rid of. Even if you kill the entire yard and replant in fescue, the Bermuda grass will creep in from neighbors' yards. In my case, I've just decided to live with the &*%# stuff. It greens up well in the summer, although it does try hard to invade your flower and shrub beds.

Allium vineale (Wild Garlic) is the plant most people have in their yards around here that they call wild onions. Pulling it has been the best answer for me. It sounds like a huge task, and it would be in a larger yard, but doing it when the ground is wet makes it a little easier. I keep it under pretty good control by doing a little at a time. I was able to get it pretty much under control in a couple of years.

Hopefully, one of the members that are more into turf will give you more info. You might also get help in the Lawn Care Forum or the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum (I've never checked into either of those forums, so can't tell you what they are like).

• junebugntn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advise. Looking a the yard and based on your advise, I think I'll skip the pre-emergents and try to get more fescue seeded this year. I do see what I think is Bermuda creeping in the border around the house. I'll check out the forums you mentioned as well. If you can advise,I'm going to post another question on this forum about Burning Bush. Thanks again.