Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

Legality of seed swapping outside the US

bigorangevol
16 years ago

Any knowledge on this subject? Anybody?

I had someone email me about sending some Datura seeds to them in Sweden. (Go figure, a Swede on the GW TN Forum!) Just to be on the safe side I thought that I'd make sure that it was cool legally. I can't find a listing of illegal plants for Sweden anywhere. My first thought was regarding their invasiveness but then I started thinking about toxicology and then hallucinatory effects. Now I've gone from thinking that I would be helping a fellow gardener to wondering if I'm going to be the father of a Swedish drug-cartel.

Comments (7)

• transplanted_in_tn
    16 years ago

Found this on World Travel Guide:

Prohibited Imports
    Narcotics, firearms, ammunition, weapons, most meat and dairy products, eggs, plants, potatoes from outside the EU, endangered species, fireworks and alcoholic beverages of over 60% alcohol.

So, looks like you're in the clear, unless they consider seeds a "plant". :)

-John

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll get some Drama Queen poppies in return!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I would call someone and try to find out more info. It is definitely illegal to send seeds to some countries. I don't know the details, but it would be better to check it out first than to have to learn about it after being questioned by the feds. Call the main branch of your local library and see if they have a reference department. If it's like our library, they should be able to give you a complete and very informative answer probably the same day you call.

• transplanted_in_tn
    16 years ago

See the link for what the USPS won't allow you to ship to Sweden. Just send the seeds. :) If Swedish customs (for whatever reason) decides they don't want your Datura seeds in their country, they just seize the package - the Feds don't come knocking at your door. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: USPS Guidelines - Sweden

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

Also, check and see if the seeds you are getting in return are allowed into the US. I would think so, but it doesn't hurt to know.

Heck, I've got opium poppies growing by the road.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I've spent a few hours looking at the export regulations and the only thing that I can find that could get you in trouble is if you sent seeds that are banned for reasons like if they are considered an endangered species or a noxious weed by the US govt. There are also regulations about patented varieties but that wouldn't apply here. So it does sound like it would be OK for you to ship them. The stories I have heard about the feds coming to visit involved endangered species and, from what I have read, they can get pretty nasty on this. It looks like there is more potential for legal trouble when you send seeds to some other states than there is if you send them overseas.

I didn't see anything about why to do this, but some articles I have read recommend labeling the package with something like "flower seeds / no cash value".

• madmouser
    16 years ago

E-mail the Swedish Embassy. They can probably tell you.
    http://www.swedenabroad.se/Start____6989.aspx
    Sometimes countries require fumigation of agricultural products to prevent the spread of invasive germs and insects.
    I think you'll have more trouble getting something into the US than getting it out.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths