Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Weather Underground as a TN resource

anntn6b
16 years ago

We've been talking temperatures elsewhere on this site, but when we look for real, solid resources, there aren't many that are easily accessed.

Weather Underground thus fills a void.

On WU you can find a full service weatherstation fairly close to where you live and garden (or a station for an area you're interesting in gardening (and living) in).

On the home page, linked below, type in your zipcode. The site will then give you a weather station sort of near you. Go a bit further down the page and you can find other stations in your area. Sharing a zipcode doesn't always mean sharing a microclimate.

I really like the almanac, linked on the first/main page, where I can see and copy charts of the max/min temperatures through the historic records, and the average temperatures. Rainfall and snowfall are also there.

One chart I downloaded for my gardening book has just the temperatures for 2006. The Easter Freeze really stands out. (Temperature almanac, check the previous year and omit max/min and averages.)

I'm northeast of Knoxville so my long term records are from McGee Tyson and I also look at Tri-cities. Morristown would also be useful.

Hope this helps.

Comments (3)