Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

**** Spring 2012 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****

brandon7 TN_zone7
12 years ago

The Spring 2012 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held at Tyson Park, over near UT beside Alcoa Hwy, on 19 May 2012.

Setup will begin at 9:30am. Swapping will begin at 10:00am. We will have a pot-luck lunch, but the time for that is not set in stone yet. More details, including a map, can be found on our website linked below. Hopefully, we'll have further announcements closer to swap time.

If you want to prearrange swaps, check out the Swap Forum on the website. You can let people know what you plan to bring, find out what others are interested in, post what you would be interested in getting, and find out what others are buzzing about. You don't have to arrange pre-trades at all, but doing so can be advantageous and fun.

*** There is no cost to attend the swap, but a small donation would help us cover the cost of renting the pavilion and help cover web hosting costs. A couple of bucks per swapper would be greatly appreciated. ***

Please see the FAQ section of the website for more details, or ask here.

Comments (10)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I drove by Tyson Park the other day and noticed they were doing major construction. I called the Parks and Recreation Department to check to make sure the park would be ready by May, and they said it would. Maybe we'll be lucky and it will be all fixed up for us. It's usually in decent shape, so I'm not sure what they are doing to it now.

• krikit
    12 years ago

This is good news! I'm already looking forward to it, and hope that I'll be able to attend - really hate that I missed the fall swap. Thanks for all your efforts in this Brandon.

• KatyaKatya
    12 years ago

Hi Brandon,
    I am cautiously starting to think that maybe I can make it to the swap. I wanted to, many times, but.
    My question is, how neat do my plants have to be? The pictures on the swap page show professionally and carefully potted plants. What if I only dug up a clump of perennials this morning, divided them into several parts and wrapped in burlap and rags? I understand I have to label them. Thank you.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Clumps are fine as long as they'll make it home in good condition. I've brought unpotted clumps of things like Crocosmias before. I think I wrapped the clumps of roots up in newspaper. I have even seen people bring bare-rooted stuff before, but I'm personally a little leery of trading for bare-rooted stuff that time of year. Just keep in mind that the stuff needs to be able to hold up under quite a bit of heat for at least half a day. Many people may also not be able to get everything planted as soon as they get home.

The pictures on the website may "sugarcoat" the appearance of the "average" stuff found at plantswaps, because neatly planted stuff makes better pictures (-:

You'll probably find a broad range of things at plants swaps, from relatively small seedlings to large mature potted plants, and from bare-rooted stuff or newly planted things to things that are about to outgrow their pots.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PS....

If you look closely at the website photos, you'll see that one photo shows Karen holding a jar of brugmansia cuttings. They are probably rooted (not sure), but are definitely not potted. You can also see, in one of the pictures, that some plants are a little wilty. That doesn't necessarily mean the plant is in trouble, but probably does mean that the plant was freshly dug.

• KatyaKatya
    12 years ago

Thanks! I'll try my best.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to remind everyone, again, about the ETPS. It's about a month and a half away. If you plan to post pretrade offers/requests on our website's "Forum", now's a good time to start getting your lists together. I've already posted about half of what I plan to bring. A few others have also posted offers.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The plant event of the year is next Saturday!!!!!!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone that is coming to the swap, please bring a gardening friend if you can. We usually have between 35 to 60 people at the spring swaps, but I'd love to see that number grow! If you can think of someone that likes growing things, consider asking them to tag along. Even if they don't have things to bring to swap, they will be welcomed, and, I'll bet we can find all kinds of neat plants for them.

• KatyaKatya
    11 years ago

I can't believe it, it seems that I am actually coming. My plants are not much, but I have really wanted to check this event out, it's been a while.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!