Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start seeds?

Posted by lilyfinch 7 Middle Tn (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 22:18

Hi everyone! I'm new to tennessee (spring hill) but not new to gardening. I'm currently renting until we find the right place. I notice it's been so lovely and warm, so I'm wondering when would be a good time to sprinkle some zinnia seeds ? I have a area in full sun that would be perfect for them. In Pa i had a friend who just sprinkled them into the soil and brushed them in with her garden tools.
Also I plan on starting sunflowers as well, if you have any input on when to start those (if it's different) that would be helpful. I usually buy my annuals in flats but I think I'd like to save some money this year. Especially since we may be moving again in August . Regardless , I still need some pretty flowers! Thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start seeds?

Welcome to Spring Hill! We've lived in Spring Hill for 3 years and just last month bought a home about 5 miles down 31 in northern Columbia. I'm not going to be able to tell you the best time to plant seeds because I'm a beginner, but I've been researching as well to see when I can start seeds indoors for the vegetable garden. Right about now is the time for that, from what I'm understanding. Anyone else have any insight on that? I've already seen some budding trees and am SO excited that Spring is just around the corner!

o

My understanding is to wait until it is consistently warm outside and the soil is warm as well for zinnias and sunflowers; so like May. You know it can still be 29 degrees at nite and frost thru mid or late April is possible.

o

*Average* last frost for this area is April 15. (I remember it by thinking "evil, frosty, tax day" or whatever...) Most seeds will say things like "start indoors 6 weeks before risk of frost is gone", that kinda thing.

Depends a lot on what you're growing, of course. Last year (and again this year), I'm planning to grow a nice cool-weather crop of lettuces, etc. So I'm not overly anxious to start tomatoes, squash, etc. If I started them mid March, I'd have plants way too big to handle by the time my lettuce bolts.

FYI - I like to direct-sow sunflowers, cukes, beans, and squash. They come up nice & quick, and I don't have to fuss with hardening them off before planting day.

Hope that helps a bit... your mileage may vary. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here