Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atokadawn

What type yard are you dealing with?

atokadawn
15 years ago

My front yard is full sun. While my backyard is mostly shade to partial sun.

I enjoy being able to have such a veriaty of plants in the yard.

Tell me about your yard.

Comments (12)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

At home, I have a small yard with mostly full sun, but I do have an area about 100' x 15' that is mostly shade. Actually, the shady area is the neighbors property that I have taken over (don't tell them). I grow lots of plants in the landscape, but even more in pots on my deck. I have a large wooden deck that is almost completely covered by pots.

At my farm (my arboretum), I have over 20 acres of full sun and a few acres of various degrees of partial shade. Soil types vary from rich, deep, fertile soil to somewhat rocky, clay soil. So far most of my planting there are trees, but I do have one perennial bed that will probably be filled by this summer. My planting there has been somewhat limited because of clearing and grading that I've been trying to get done. It keeps me more than busy, and sometimes borders overwhelming.

I also pick out plants for the UT Arboretum. There I have more shade than full sun areas, but plenty of both. Plantings are often dictated more by programs and projects than by conditions. The soil there is good but a little rocky and well-draining.

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

Full sun, part shade, heavily shaded, clay conditions and lots of landscaping to finish.

• paperart
    15 years ago

Little over an acre, 35 mature oaks and hickory trees - i took out 15 tress in the last year and still have leaves a foot deep in the fall. Soil is good but trees and shade make it really hard to grow grass. i have lots of flower beds and shrubs - there are sunny spots. I have several areas of creeping red fescue and would love to have a full yard of it. Added an art studio and work shop in back this year so we have much more landscaping to do. There is an existing small garden shed in back too. Discovered today during drenching rain (3 inches in about 4 hours) that i may need to do some foundation work. i can't stand the thought of digging up all my foundation plantings but my son, the professional drainage contractor, says it may be necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden tips, birding, plant and art articles

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Lani, I'm impressed with all the new topics you've come up with in the last few days. Thanks for keeping us awake!

I hope everyone takes advantage of these opportunities to add to the forum, get to know their fellow gardeners better, and learn from each other.

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

I have one acre that is probably 95% full sun. The soil is clay and rock so most of my beds have plants that can stand the hot dry conditions. I grow a lot of Echinacea tennesseensis and it does very well. The only soil I ammend is my vegetable garden. I have one shady spot under a large oak tree where I grow jack-in-the-pulpits, several varieties arisaema and arums and some amorphophallas konjac.

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

On the south east of my house, i have full sun. This is where i have my veggie and culinary herb garden. My house faces north, and in the front it's very shady, and no gutters so if its rains, very moist. Some afternoon sun towards front of porch, maybe 2 or 3 good hours. On the west side of my house, dappled afternoon sun for about 4 to 6 hours. Really working on a good shade garden (ferns?) so the front of the house will look good. Hostas also.
    On the west side, i'm making a raised bed of medicinal herbs, floweres, and a tall shrub. My problem is the shade and west side garden, trying to match plants with growing conditons, moisture needs, etc.

• fernzilla
    15 years ago

Very small garden. Many Mature trees, so I have to primarily work with plants that are shade lovers, Thus name Fernzilla.

• Dave Townsend
    15 years ago

We have 1.31 acres on which 90% is in full sun. Just a little shade around the edges. Very few mature trees in the yard. The one exception being a tulip poplar. We have lots of young sassafras trees and a couple sumacs. In the back there are dogwoods, redbuds, and everyone's favorite: walnut.

1/3 of the property is sloping with a large flat area in the backyard. The soil is pretty good since the property is one level area along a very large slope. All the nice topsoil ran into my yard during building. I'm thinking of adding grapevines or fruit trees on one of the slopes in the back yard.

• groomingal
    15 years ago

Our yard is about 90'x200' and the front and back are full sun but right around the house is shade. We have a flat yard but during rain we get "pools"- any recommendations to remedy this?
    We have 6 walnut trees, 2 pecans, and 1 magnolia- we are having the walnut trees and magnolia removed this summer. I started two large flower beds after we bought the house last year and would like to add in some more flowers/shrubs this year.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Groomingal,
    French drains should help, and they could be located so as to avoid current plantings as much as possible. I'd probably get a company that can install them professionally. Maybe if you list your location, someone would know who to recommend.

• palmetto_gardener
    15 years ago

groomingal and brandon7, I have "pools" also. The largest one drains across the yard and is washing out my drive. I'm also interested in finding a pro who knows what to do. I'm in Shelbyville.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Right now...soggy!

We've only got 1/2 acre but half of it is in full sun, 1/4 is partial and the other 1/4 is shade.

The good news is that we can plant just about anything; the bad news is that I can kill just about all of it except for the bermuda and the weeds.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996