Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atokadawn

Anyone found any good plant sales so far this year?

atokadawn
15 years ago

So far all I am seeing is alot of high priced plants out there. And the veggie prices are out of this world. I think the economey is causing alot more folks to turn to gardens this year.

What have you found?

Comments (5)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I plant almost all of my vegetables by seed. That way I get the varieties I want and get the fun of watching them grow. I built a large fluorescent light rack last year so I have room to start about 200 pots of seeds. The light level per square inch on my rack is comparable to sunlight. It does raise the electric bill a little, but probably not any more than if I bought all the individual plants. The biggest reason I built my rack was to grow ornamentals, but I usually devote about half the space to veggies.

• daisy522
    15 years ago

I went to the Spring Fling that the master gardeners did this past weekend. The weather was terrible, but it was very busy. They had tons of plants that were donated by the master gardeners. I bought alot! The prices were very good. I bought a couple from some of the vendors also( Dan West, Dutch Gardens from Humboldt)
    They even had an area set up where you could select your vege seeds and start them in egg cartons. It was fun!

• judydean
    15 years ago

I need a hardy hibiscus and a leucantha (mexican sage that blooms purple in the fall). I'm debating Dixon sale, Lichterman sale and Zoo sale. Does anyone know which is cheapest? I'm broke and my great seed project didn't produce nearly enough flowers (despite heat mats and flourescent lights). By any chance is someone bringing either of those plants to our swap in May? That would be even better! Judy

• honeybunny442
    15 years ago

I'm always looking for good plant sales too. They are few and far between here in East TN.
    If everyone could mention where they are, or where the sale is, that would help for those of us not familiar with certain areas or certain well known sales. I just spent some time looking for Dixon Sale until I found out it was Memphis.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Honeybunny,

Seriously? It seems like there are more than I can go to. I could go broke just buying a few things from each sale. We've got some of the more popular ones (that have already announced their dates) posted on the ETPS website (or you can see them in my post on this forum, linked below). Do you come to the UT Arboretum Spring and Fall sales, Bloomsday, the Friends of the Gardens sales, all the Racheff garden sales (one is this Saturday, BTW), the Franklin Square Plant Sale, the plant sales at Ijams Nature Center, and the Talahi Plant Sale (sometimes I'm not sure this one rates at the top of my list, but other times it has been good)?

Here is a link that might be useful: East Tennessee Upcoming Plant Related Events

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz