Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Granny

Posted by gardening4ten (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 8:29

I'm not a Tennessean, but there's no forum for Kentucky (my county borders TN, so I'm close by!)

When growing up, my grandma used to grow what she called Plum Grannies. Does anyone know what these actually are, and where can I get seeds? I only remember her using them to place in the window sill to look pretty and smell sweet.

I did find in a seed catalog under melons, there was one called Tigger, and it looked similar. I thought Plum Grannies were probably of the squash family, so I don't think that's it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Granny

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 22:40

Hello Gardening4ten! Welcome to the Tennessee Gardening Forum. Some of your fellow Kentuckians are in the Ohio Valley Gardening Forum, but your are welcome to hang out here too.

"Plum granny" is a common name for an apple-melon type of muskmelon. Their scientific name is "Cucumis melo var. dudaim", and their most common common-name is probably "Queen Anne's pocket melon". Some sources report that, in Victorian times, these fruits were sometimes carried in pockets to mask body odor. Lovely, huh? LOL

o

Thanks, Brandon7. Appreciate the wonderful info. Now I'm going to try and find some seeds for these little melons.

I know some of the Kentuckians are in the Ohio Gardening, but I'm closer to Tennessee, and feel I have more in common with Tennesseans in general. So I'll hang out here, if no one objects.

o

Baker Creek has them if I'm not mistaken.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek

o

I have some extra seed.

o

Try New Hope Seed Company.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here