Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueirismoon

daffadills

blueirismoon
13 years ago

I planted some daffodills about 3 years ago. They come up every spring but will not multiply.What is wrong with them?I live in middle tennessee area.

Comments (7)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I bought a few packs of some mini buttercups several years back. The bulbs were tiny and new. There were several bulbs and only few ever bloomed. Finally this year I have several blooming. Actually 4 blooms right now, maybe tomorrow I can take a few pictures for you.

My thought would be from experience it takes about 3 to 4 years to start to actually multiplying enough to where you can get blooms from a new bulb. So from my experience nothing is wrong with your bulbs. Each year they will increase. Then eventually you will have to split them to keep them blooming. Same with daylillies!!

• msbatt
    13 years ago

Different ones multiply at different rates. It's been my experience that the bigger, fancier ones are the slowest to multiply.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Several days late, this shot was taken this morning.

{{gwi:368048}}

Anyone need any muscari grape hyacinth??

• daffodilgirl
    13 years ago

Ooooo, I love grape hyacinths! I have them in with my daffodils. If you have to many you can send them my way. lol

I agree with msbatt about the bigger ones being slower. It seems that my smaller bulb varieties seem to reproduce quicker.

• naturegirlsun1
    13 years ago

I have a few questions also about these miraculous flowers. We are new to this area (moved here in nov, from Fl)and well we just didn't have them so i know nothing. However they are spread wild and free over our property and so many different kids. My question is how do i move them safely to my garden beds? Also a lot of them in the front yard are not blooming. Could this be because we mowed in November and just didn't see them or could they just be so old they aren't blooming anymore?

• daffodilgirl
    13 years ago

My experience with them is it is best to move them when the foliage is dies back. However I have moved at all different times. I am not good at remembering them so most of the time it move them just after they bloom. Sometimes if the clumps get to thick they don't bloom and will need to be thinned. If you don't get a response you might post in the bulb forum. Someone there might be able to give you some suggestions.

Tracy

• naturegirlsun1
    13 years ago

Turns out i had some late bloomers. i am letting them die back then i will transplant. My poor husband i wouldn't let him mow till i had every bed of them boxed in with chicken wire. He finally got to mow last week. The landscape is finally coming together. My hyacinth and iris are in bloom and now i am seeing lots of rose buds and azalea is in full bloom. I really didn't think i would have anything this year since all is newly planted. Even my bleeding hearts are popping through! Now what to do with that Hydrangea. Thanks everyone

Sponsored