Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources for compost, vermiculite & peat in Chattanooga area

Posted by dixietn z7 TN (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 9:12

I'm going to Square Foot Gardening this year for veggies, have been gathering supplies.

I had a load of compost delivered yesterday, 13 yards for $125. 423-333-8810. I don't know what his delivery area is.

Bradley County Farmer's Co-Op, Blue Springs Rd at APD 40. 423-472-3239 (First I-75 Cleveland exit coming from Chattanooga is APD 40)
They've got 1 bale of peat left, I got all the vermiculite they had, they are ordering more.

5.5 cu ft bale of peat $22.99
4 cu ft A3 vermiculite: $21.95

I don't know if these are good prices or not for the area, but it's what I found & thought I would share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources for compost, vermiculite & peat in Chattanooga area

Hey there. We bought our vermiculite and peat from there too. You must be pretty close by. Do you know what the compost that guy has is made up with?

Will you be selling at any local markets? 13 yards is a lot of compost!

o

Turns out Co-Op was over-priced. Beaty's on Wildwood Ave in Cleveland had the vermiculite, same size/brand for $16.99.

Compost is cow manure, hay. Has been piled up, sitting outside, is well aged & very "clean" (can you say that about manure?) looking, no dirt. It's from a farm in Athens. Yes, it's a lot of compost! I've got 3 beds mixed, 4 x 12, one 2 x 18 +/-, more beds to build. I'm having a blast with it.

I'm in Birchwood. I don't sell at markets, just family use/canning.
Bales of peat were 13.49 for 3.8 cu/ft, slightly smaller size.

o

There's a place on Middle Valley Road in Hixson that has huge "hills" of mushroom compost, 'regular' compost, and other stuff...will be stopping by there sometime this week, since I am attempting one raised bed along with my SWCs this year, and don't want to buy 10 bags of soil to fill it up with.

o

So glad you said about the vermiculite at Beaty's as I was about to go to the co-op myself. This is a year later bt I just got 3.8 cuft peat bales for 11.00 at Ace hardware in Ooltewah, Tennessee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here