Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shotgun tree trimming

Posted by behaviorkelton 7-ish (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 9:15

This looks incredibly convenient, but I doubt the cuts are very smooth/clean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNwaMX-QBU&feature=grec

This guy lives in middle Tennessee.

BK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shotgun tree trimming

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 20:33

Wonder how large the pellet spread would be at that distance and just how accurate one could be? Does look lots more convenient than any alternative.

o

If you look at this man's other videos, he is a real sharp shooter... hitting distant targets with simple handguns.

No ladder, no sawing... pretty cool... I'd just worry about possible diseases entering through that rough wound.

Maybe trees are tougher than that. I don't know.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 21:30

The biggest issues would be how accurate his shots could be (how well he could judge where the branch need to be cut, from the ground, as well as how accurate his shot was) and how well (fast) the tree could cover over the rough wound compared to a close-cut smooth wound (this would depend a lot on how well the damage could be contained to a small area). I doubt this will ever become an ISA sanctioned procedure, but it is interesting to watch. He certainly does make it seem easy.

o

I've shot branches out of the top of a hickory that I wanted to propagate by grafting, as the lowest branches were over 40 ft up, and no way I could reach them with a pole pruner. Took a whole lot of shots with a .22 rifle to cut through that 1.5" branch.

I've seen, in past issues of the ACCF newsletter, that they'd enlisted the help of 4-H Shooting Sports marksmen to shoot chestnut burs out of trees so that they could collect them for their seednut distribution program before the critters got 'em.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here