Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horsetail

Posted by rosamundi-1591 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 9:41

Horsetails are galloping across my flower beds. Any recommendation for corraling them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horsetail

That's funny...not the fact that the horsetail is acting so aggressive...but your way of describing it.

I had the same thing happen to me years ago. The guy that gave me my first little clump of the stuff warned me that it could spread, so I naively put down one of the flowerbed edger things, thinking that would stop it. And it did for the first year. However, the second year, the stuff decided to take over about a 500 square feet in one giant "gallop". It totally freaked me out, because, with the exception of maybe a really fast-spreading bamboo, I had never seen a plant move that fast. I spent days digging out ever piece of root I could find. Then I went to Home Depot and bought one of those half-barrel pond liners and planted a big clump in that. I used half peat moss and half sand, which it seemed to like just fine. For the next year, Every time I went outside, I'd scout for more Equisetum. Every time it sent up a shoot, I'd place about three to five drops of concentrated RoundUp on it. I think there was still a little that popped up the second year, but not much. It finally gave up and I got my flowerbed back. Now I have two pots of the stuff, one in the ground (the one I planted originally) and one on the back deck. It seems reasonably happy even though it seems to have given up on taking over the state.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here