Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Looking for ideas

tngreenthumb
16 years ago

Hello TN Gardeners!

We just had a barn built. But that's not the thing.

I was smart enough to have the southern side roofed with clear polycarbonate roofing. Thinking that I would have a nice start to a greenhouse.

So now I have to figure out how I'm going to finish this off and somehow manage to keep it warm during the winter months. There is no power to this building, so I know I'm going to have to insulate the crap out of it.

I've been thinking I may frame in two of the three 12' sections and see if I can locate some salvaged storm windows to make up most of the southern wall. I also think building a few thermal air siphons into that wall would be a good idea.

I've also considered bringing in more gravel for the floor of this area and spray painting it black. That should make for some great bottom heat and might be enough thermal mass to help overnight. If not, laying some brick walkways would help.

I'd appreciate any other ideas. I posted this in the greenhouse forum and got little response. They are all talking about GH kits and such. Maybe we Tennessee gardeners are a bit more resourceful?

I think so!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner