Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atokadawn

How about a Do's and Don't post

atokadawn
15 years ago

What are your best Do's and Don't tips can you pass on for gardening.

Comments (22)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Don't choose a plant without checking out it's possible negative aspects first.
    - Find out what pests and diseases most commonly affect that type of plant and whether the variety you are looking at is resistant or susceptible to those problems.
    - Check with TN-EPPC to see if the species is invasive.
    - Check to see if it will work well in the environment and at the location you want to plant it in.
    - Check for other species, varieties, or cultivars that might be better.

Here is a link that might be useful: TN-EPPC

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I agree, make sure you aren't planting something invasive, I am dealing with a variegated privot, courtesy of the previous home owner and it is a nightmare!!!

I do like to push the zones a bit, love my tropical plants. Everyone has their own micro climates so you just have to experiment.

The number one thing is don't be afraid to give something a try what works or doesn't work for someone else may or may not work for you. Enjoy yourself and experiment you never know what you will come up with.

Mary

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Do follow good planting practices, especially when planting trees and shrubs. Below is a link to a preliminary version of a website I am working on that gives many good planting tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Do plant whatever you desire, and don't listen to someone tell you it won't grow here :). Have fun!

Rebecca

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Do hope you Don't get a spider mite infestation that wipes out all your pepper plants like I did last year. =)

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't sweat the small stuff.Enjoy the joys of gardening. Take time to smell the flowers.

• thedaylilykid
    15 years ago

Don't plant a bradford pear in your yard.

Don't plant the same thing over and over in rows (boxwoods, hollies)...if one gets a disease it may spread, if one dies the chance of finding another the right size could be tough.

Lucas

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Amen on the Bradford pear! Those things stink!

• krikit
    15 years ago

DO check the link Brandon provided above about "Planting a Tree or Shrub" and take heed to step 2 about "SITE". It is soooooo heartbreaking to work hard at planting a nice shrub and as it begins to grow into a wonderful mature plant you realize it's in the wrong spot due to size. I fall victim to that way too often. Greed I suppose - always trying to fit something else in!
    DO put some sort of barrier between your flower beds and bermuda grass!!! I absolutely hate that stuff.

Frances

• transplanted_in_tn
    15 years ago

Frances said, "DO put some sort of barrier between your flower beds and bermuda grass!!! I absolutely hate that stuff." Truer words have never been spoken. I've temporarily reclaimed a front flower bed from 'that stuff', and imagine I'll be fighting it for as long as we live in this house. NASA should send a few pounds of BG seed to Mars to take root and make the atmosphere safe for humans. :)

-John

• northknoxgardener
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone.

We're fighting an invasive plant now, too... also thanks to previous owners.

Plant what you want (just not invasive), no matter who says it can't grow.

I would suggest spending some time working your soil. Dig some holes, fill them in -- if only to familiarize yourself with how it feels.

Use soil amendments as needed -- In this Tennessee clay, most everyone's soil will need some help.

My two most important tips:

1) Take off the gardening gloves... if not for good, then at least occasionally. You're playing in the dirt... get a little dirty.

2) My mantra is: "It's gardening, not rocket science." Use tips and expert information as background, not hard and fast rules.

Here is a link that might be useful: TennesseeGardenGuy.com

• columbiastock
    15 years ago

"A DO AND A DON'T"

Gardeners, just use your mind and your computer when "seeing" a plant at your local stores. We have been "bitten" several times seeing plants all bloomed out and bought them, either not reading or not checking them out for our zone. Some plants you can grow with a zone next to ours, but if you have one that is zoned for 9-10 forget them. Just use the GW or the computer to check them out before spending your money.

• fernzilla
    15 years ago

Hmmmm. What have you got against Bradford pears? I just love them. I think they are just beautiful in bloom, have a lovely shape, and are just the right size for landscaping strip malls, and small yards. My neighbor has two and I thouroughly enjoy them.
    My philosophy of the day
    Don't sweat the petty things....and
    Don't pet the sweaty things...LOl (;-o)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

"What have you got against Bradford pears?"

Here are a few of the more common complaints:
    1. They are now considered an invasive. In some areas, seedlings are taking over areas and displacing native habitat. Reports of the problem are growing exponentially and may become a serious issue in the near future.
    2. They tend to fall apart just as they start to get big enough to enjoy. These trees were developed to become very full. They can look really full and healthy for a little while, but they look awful when they start self-destructing.
    3. They are short-lived. Because they self-destruct, they tend not to be around for long.
    4. They are WAY overplanted. Everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, and uncle seem to have at least a couple of them. Be original and choose something more interesting.
    5. Many people consider their smell, when in bloom, very offensive.

If you like Bradford pears, continue to enjoy them, but be aware that there may be MUCH better choices.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

6. You have to battle them for years AFTER you cut one down and grind the stump.

I agree that they are over planted. Our neighbor lined the street on his property with them. They are nice to look at when they are blooming (and stink!). We replaced ours with a nice blue conifer (name escapes me) that we enjoy looking at year round.

Oh, and I don't pet sweaty things either :).

• organic_bassetlvr
    15 years ago

If you really like the looks of Bradford pears plant a real pear instead-I mean a fruiting pear. They last for generations & provide wildlife food. I once saw a fox about 14 feet up a pear tree-I stopped the car & used my binoculars to be sure! I've also seen groundhogs up pear trees. If you don't want to deal with pears on the ground try a serviceberry or sourwood-still nice white blooms.
    Susan

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Ditto to above: DO allow ample space for trees and shrubs. I broke that one soooo many times at the other house. I'm probably doing it again at the new one too. :( I think it's one of the hardest rules to follow. I have been taking a tape measure out with me in an attempt to keep myself honest.

DON'T ever, ever plant that little yellow and green artemesia. I can't remember the name of it. Cute as heck in a four-inch pot. Grew to a five foot bush in two seasons. Was pulling up seedlings for several years after I removed it. That thing was evil.

DO trade plants with neighbors and friends. The best plants in your garden are the ones who remind you of people you care about. Every time you see the plant, you think of them. :)

DON'T plant yew in the yard with your dog or cat if there is any chance they could ingest some. Very toxic, and often causes death without symptoms or warning. .1% of body weight is a toxic dose. Seriously, it's a baddie. Yews are my favorite evergreens, hands-down, but they scare me so much I have banished them.

DO try to plan your garden to be attractive in all seasons. :) If you're into flowers, try to stagger bloom times so there's something pretty all the time. Some perennials and shrubs have nice fall color - take that into consideration as well. Anchor foundation plantings with evergreens that will be attractive in winter.

DON'T cover your pansies when it frosts. LOL! (My neighbor, bless her heart, covered hers last night.)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Ok, I have a definite don't...haha...one I just discovered yesterday. I brought one of my many Jalapeno Early Organic seedlings to work to look at when i'm missing my plants. I found yesterday that it has some tiny mites on it. Probably from an office plant here as none of my seedlings at home have them (believe me, I ran into the door & straight to my seedlings and checked!). Anyways, I ummm...did the following...the plant is still quite alive, but has half a leaf all shriveled up....

DON'T use canned air to blow bugs off a plant as it will freeze any area of the plant it touches and they will die.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Do properly mulch your plants.

Mulch
    -improves soil fertility and texture as it breaks down,
    -prevents germination of many weed seeds,
    -reduces competition for food and water from grass and weeds,
    -reduces erosion,
    -helps to maintain soil moisture during dry periods,
    -often aids drainage by preventing surface crusting and sealing,
    -can keep roots cooler during hot summer weather,
    -can help to moderate soil temperature fluctuations,
    -reduces frost-heaving,
    -reduces certain soil-borne diseases by preventing soil and fungi from splashing onto foliage,
    -prevents damage from mowers and trimmers,
    -and improves the look of the landscape.

Don't place mulch up against stems/trunks, and never make mulch volcanoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefits of Mulch

• paperart
    15 years ago

TN Veggie Gardner, I got a kick out of your post! I probably would have thought it was a good idea to spray air on the little buggers too! An honest gardener -almost as rare as an honest fisherman.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening tips

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DO NOT get so excited about a plant in the woods that you do not check what is growing around its base.

Don't ask me how I know this one.lol(rubs on more anti itch cream)

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

Love this forum! Let's keep posting on it! northknoxgardener and others like minded- it's fun to play in the dirt! Good exercise, good to connect to the earth in a time when we are surrounded by man-made things and a very materialistic society.
    DO enjoy your gardening experience-from start to finish.
    DO see it as fun, not a chore.
    Do trust your intuition, play around, try new things!
    DONT ever lose this love of gardening, it's good for mind, body, and soul.
    DONT use pesticides and herbicides if you can help it, we need our honeybees and who wants kids running through a yard of chemicals? There's alternatives, takes effort, but better for the earth and people.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!