Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clove Bush-Ribes Aureum Var. Aureum Golden Currant

Posted by columbiastock 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 11:10

We have been preparing for weeks for the MTPS. So many sprouts of shrubs are growing and I would like some feed back on the Clove bush I brought to the Spring '08 swap. Ours is in full bloom and the smell is wonderful. Bringing some Lace Cap Hydrangeas to swap. Also last fall swap I receieved a fruit from Pumpkin on a Stick (Ornamental Eggplant), dried the seeds, and planted them 3 weeks ago inside, now have several to bring to the swap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clove Bush-Ribes Aureum Var. Aureum Golden Currant

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 13:52

Do you grow your lace caps from cuttings? If so, which type of cutting (softwood, hardwood, etc) do you think is easiest? What cultivars do you grow?

o

columbiastock,Im so glad you posted this.I got one of the clove bushes from you at the swap and you got pumpkin on a stick from me.The clove is the only one I lost the tag for and I have been trying to figure out what it was.Mine has just really leafed out,but no blooms.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 21:35

The scientific name would be Ribes aureum v. aureum. The most common common-name is Golden Currant.

o

Velsgarden,

Bob and I were talking about you as I planted the Pumpkin on a Stick seeds. Have you ever started them yourself and what luck did you have? My neighbors Clove-Golden Currant has just now bloomed out, hope yours did also.

o

anyone want golden-clove currant,I have lots.To bring to the MTPS.

PAT L

o

Hey columbiastock.I started those pumpkin on a stick last year from seed.The seeds I brought to the swap came from that plant.Still no blooms on my clove bush,but Im just glad to have the bush

o

Is the clove bush the same as the 'spice bush'? I have been offered a start of this shrub/tree, the leaves smells like cloves, and it blooms here in Ohio about the same time as the forsytheths. Also how does one begin a start from a mother bush? Please help I am new to this.

o

Brenda: I assume they are the same bush. It has small clusters of yellow blooms that smell like cloves early spring. It will have suckers come up around the mother bush, just let them grow to your desired heighth ,dig out and repot for giving away or replant in your yard.

Wanda

o

I believe the spice bush is the common name for calycanthus or lindera, whereas the Clove currant is another plant altogether. I grow a clove currant whose botanical name(according to it's tag) is ribes odoratum. Early yellow bloom clusters that smell heavenly, and followed by an edible fruit. Has frilly leaves and sends up shoots from the root system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here