Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find cold hard palms

Posted by mom24kids00 7TN (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 07 at 11:29

As a transplanted Floridian for the past 12 years, I am delighted to see cold hardy palms being grown in Zone 7. Could someone help me with finding nurseries that carry these? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find cold hard palms

Just wanted to let you know, that your question wasn't going unread... for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the place I saw on a day-trip last year that specializes in cold hardy palms. I have a rough idea of where the place is located and someone else on a local group I'm on knows the place I'm thinking of, but he can't remember the name of it either. But I'm endeavouring to find out for you. I'm not sure where you are located at in TN, but I'm about 80 miles south of Nashville. The day-trip I made carried me through Huntsville, AL down to the Boaz area... the place with the cold hardy palms, etc. I *think* was about 20 miles southeast of Hsv... As soon as I can pin down the name of the place, I will get that info to you.

o

Doug & Bec have cold hardy palms in Knoxville and Rob grows them up on the Plateau in Livingston so they are around. Come to the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap and I'm sure you can swap for some.

We have had a thread that is on its third go around and probably its third year. I bumped it for you. These folks are palm crazy!!! You should find any and all answers to whatever questions that you could dream of having.

o
think I found the place RE: Where to find cold hard palms

Gee, with a simple name like this, it's no wonder I doubted it was the name of the place. Based upon the map and such though, I'm pretty sure this is the nursery I passed by last year - pretty good sized lot/property... sorry, I didn't have the time to stop and check it out for myself. In light of the possibility of some being at the swap, I think I'd check there first. I'm not sure if this place has a web-presence or not.
Cold Palms
8730 Highway 431 S
Owens Cross Rds, AL
P: 256-725-7256

o

Yep, There are plenty of palm growers in Tennessee. In fact some of the folks on this forum are the ones that got me interested in originally trying to grow palms. So far its been pretty succesful.

Nashvillejon, Deltatropicsguy, Mountain grown(Rob), and Buckn21 are all avid palm growers in Tennessee but havent seen them around on the forum for a while now. While looking at the latest catalogue from Plant Delights Nursery this winter I came across a palm that they were offering that was listed as a Trachycarpus 'tennessee form'. They gave credit for the seeds that they used to start these palms with to Will Taylor of Athens Tn. Will, I believe, is Buckn21 on the GW forums. Thought that was pretty cool.

One of the places that I got most of my big palms from was a guy in Texas(no website) that was recommended to me by another palm grower in Arkansas. We also make a trip down to Myrtle Beach almost every year for a Daylily hybridizers meeting and we'll swing by True Blue Nursery just south of there. Plant Delights also has several palms that they offer

Doug

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights Nursery

o
another palm link

Heres another place to try for cold hardy palms

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilly Plam Tree Company

o

Doug please bring me some cool Daylilies!!!!!!!!!!!

o

The Needle palm is the easiest to find here in Knoxville, but you also come across Windmills here and there. Can't remember who...one is Pope's. Also try asking your local nursery if they can order a palm for you (some will do this). If you vacation in South or North Carolina, pick up a few there!

o

Blooms Nursery in Nashville Off of I-24- Briley parkway sells cold hardy palms and many more tropical plants. I have gotten several plants from them.

o

If you are in zone 7, needle palm or sabal minor in protected spots are your best bet. Try TyTy Nursery from TyTy Ga for hardy palms, live oak, etc..We grew two needle palms at our cottage we owned that grew to 7'. We plan on growing several at our new home (also in Delaware.)

o

I don't know if dghornock's post is genuine and she just don't know about TyTy or if the post is some kind of fake ad, but TyTy is the WORST SCAM out there. Their ratings are universally horrible, their better business bureau rating is a D (and it's surprising it's that high), and they have had numerous run-ins with authorities. It's a wonder they are still in business. Their Garden Watchdog rating and reviews were probably the worst on that whole site (in other words, one of the worst nurseries period)! The nursery threatened Dave's with a lawsuit and that's why their listing was removed and no longer appears on Garden Watchdog. No one should ever consider buying from TyTy under any circumstances, IMO!

This post was edited by brandon7 on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 1:08

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here