Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fossilflower

year round shrubs or bushes

fossilflower
16 years ago

I am looking for year around bushes or shrub varieties that retain foilage in the winter for the front flower beds. I am new to TN, and excited about gardening in such a beautiful region. The house we bought already had 3 dwarf shrubs that I hope to have identified as being the burning bush, but I cannot be sure. They are green with wispy foilage as well as a splash of red color. They never lost their leaves this winter, and only stand aprox 3.5 ft. I see these bushes all over and would like to put alot more these out front in that flower bed. Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• positivemom
    16 years ago

When you say "foliage" ... do you mean that you want something that's not an evergreen?

A plant that I see used often by landscapers is the "Otto Luyken" laurel. It has glossy green leaves all winter. In the spring (and fall, I think) has spiky white flowers. I think the flowers stink, personally.

• fossilflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,

I wasn't sure either way, but I am checking into the Otto Luyken laurel you suggested. Thanks so much~
    Deena

• positivemom
    16 years ago

You should be able to get it your local nursery, Lowe's, HD, etc. I do think that the plant itself is really lovely, and a great landscaping choice. I just personally wouldn't plant it as a screen right next to my patio due to it's aroma.

What part of the state are you in?

• fossilflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just looked up the laurel, it really is pretty. I live in the country just outside Manchester. I am looking for something that will get much taller though for use as a yr round screen, but I also have a good place to plant some of these as well. I also want life in the yard year round after noticing the winter here tends to look dead too long. I think it is called a juniper berry tree, but I am not sure, but anyway, they get super tall up north. I should probably be looking at yr round trees for this screen not bushes or shrubs I guess. That makes more sense. I did see some of the burb areas in Nashville looking fab with year round landscaping, so thats kind of what I am after with a rustic twist. We have a cabin style place. Good talking with you, & thanks for your help~

• christnpalm
    16 years ago

Magnolias get tall slowly but, some of them are evergreen and they will bloom in the late spring. Cherry laurel is evergreen and gets pretty tall. You could also try things like witch hazel etc that aren't evergreen but, they do bloom in the winter so... There are several broad leaf evergreens that you shouldn't have many problems with anything from akerman hybrid camelias "ever green, bloom in winter, and make a good tea." to scotch pines etc.
    What I would say though is be very careful about selecting plants that you used to grow up North. A lot of them just sort of struggle along here as our summers are too hot and long and our winters too warm and short.
    hth
    Chris

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Fossil, My burning bushes lose their leaves in the winter. I got rid of all the needle leaved evergreens close to my house as I found them to be bug magnets. I love the look of broadleaf evergreens but am kind of scared of them after my needleleaf experiences. Could your existing bushes be heavenly bamboo? I will be watching this thread in hopes someone has something to add about broadleaf evergreens. Rhonda

• positivemom
    16 years ago

I found this article from the UT Ag Extension on their website. It has a long list of evergreens that can be used as screens. Each tree's hardiness here in TN is noted; that may be something you want to consider when you're planning your purchases.

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Trees for Screens and Hedges

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

All of the ones listed in the Ag Ext literature linked above are completely hardy in Knoxville. Even before the heat wave of the last decade, established plants of the ones listed should be hardy in most if not all of TN.

If you really want to be bombarded by choices, get Dirr's book (Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses). I bet it has over 50 (believe it or not) choices of evergreen shrubs and trees hardy in this area. It will also tell you the good and bad characteristics of each plant.

Before you decide on something, always check the TN-EPPC website to see if it's invasive and always check to see what type of possible downfalls you may encounter with a particular type of shrub or tree.

• phud2001
    16 years ago

fossilflower -- I wonder if your existing bushes are what my neighbors call 'nandina' (sp?)? We have one, I don't particularly care for it, but it does grow well where it is at and the dog likes to water it, which means he keeps off my hydrangeas! :)

thanks for the resources folks...will definitely be checking those out!

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

phud2001, Nandina is what I meant not heavenly bamboo. I had most of the leaves fall off this winter but I planted them last fall. A definite duh moment for me. lol

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Ladybug -- nandina and heavenly bamboo are actually the same thing. :-)

• steveh_2007
    16 years ago

Some of the shorter forms of holly are very nice. They can be trimmed and kept to a manageable size. Of course, azaleas are available in all sizes and flower colors. I almost hesitate to mention them since a lot of people think they are over-used.
    Some of the euonymous varietes are attractive. I personally like the big leafed climbers but they are rambunctious and have to be cut back often.

Sponsored