Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
REALLY- What are the best ingredients for raised beds?

Posted by elsten TN (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 11:59

So I have two raised beds already made and positioned in my yard. They are lined on the bottom and ready to be filled. The problem is that everything I read tells me something different. Mel's Mix is good. Mel's Mix is awful. Top soil it fine to purchase. Top soil is usually a rip-off. Adding compost is the only way to go. Compost is too expensive.
HELP! I do want to fill the beds with new matter. (Not ammend the old soil. It's gone.) I don't want to spend a ton of money. I already have a small amount of compost from my bin, 3 bags of manure, and a couple of bags of vermiculite. I've heard the Compost Farm in Franklin is awesome, but it will be expensive to deliver all the way to south Nashville where I live. Other area nursery soil mixes I've called about are topsoil and SOME ammendments. Advice? Anything...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: REALLY- What are the best ingredients for raised beds?

When I made my raised beds some years back I went to a landscaping supply company in Chattanooga and bought a gardening mix. I paid twenty some dollars a yard for it. It has worked real well for me. Of course I amend it with stuff every year. I have my own pick up truck so I don't have to worry about delivery cost.

Ernie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here