Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akewa

Vine ? possibly poison

akewa
16 years ago

Hi all,

We are clearing land and have been told that a small plant in from of our gate was poison. Which it was for I got it just touching our front gate when working on it.

My question is about a few vines we have on popular trees around here. Is there another vine besides poison ivy that has hairy root/stem that climbs trees? These do not have leaves yet so I cant tell. Also they do not look red to me just brown.

Thanks

Tamara

Comments (13)

• arjo_reich
    16 years ago

Virginia Creeper & Kudzu are pretty common down here and invasive as all hell...

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

Could have sworn I posted to this one.... Oh well.

There is also posion sumac and posion oak out there. Just make sure to go in and wash quick after removing them. Do not rub the oils into the skin. Wash the clothes you wear seprate from others. The oil can spread to other clothes.
    I am highly alergic to all them yet have not had a breakout in years.

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

Virginia creeper is commonly mistaken for a poisonous vine.

• sdrawkcab
    16 years ago

It seems like I get P.I. just from looking at it; I wonder if I'll get it just from posting in a thread about it?

If you have any doubts about the vines you see clinging to the trees you can cut them at the base to kill them. Spray any new shoots that emerge from the old root with brush killer. Used according to label directions, brush killer is more effective against PI than regular Round-Up.

+1 to the advice about wearing sleeves and gloves and washing with soap immediatly after exposure to PI or PI infected wood/brush.

I don't have any experience with poison oak, but I can tell you that poison sumac is a tree, not a vine.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I've never had any problem killing PI with regular Roundup. I do usually mix it a little heavier than normal. If you cut the vines and apply Roundup, use it full strength or at least 50/50. Generic glyphosate is cheaper than branded Roundup and works just the same.

• akewa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, we know it is not poison now. But it is also not creeper or kudzu. This has a small white flower that blooms most of the year. I am thinking it might be a type of jasmine ot honey suckle.

Thanks

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

But didn't you say that you got a rash from touching it?

I think we need a picture to ID this plant.

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

Clematis virginiana?

Here is a link that might be useful: Virgin's Bower

• akewa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No rash from this plant that other was a known poison ivy.
    I was able to track this vine down to be japanese honeysuckle. Which is good as it is not poison and it is a herbal vine. But we have way to much of it so we shall work on getting it under control.

• civilengr3
    16 years ago

Jap. Honeysuckle IS poison in my book! may not cause a rash, but it sure makes for a lot of frustration when you have a forest full of it.

• arjo_reich
    16 years ago

It could also be rhus aromatica. looks a lot like poison oak or a sumac variant but grows as a bush and can have tiny white flowers on it starting in mid-march.

Last year I cut down a couple hundred sq. ft. of it in the back of the property to clear out space for a little garden-glen.

• thelma2022_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

we have a lot of vines in our trees, they have 5 leaves and it looks to me like a smaller verion of a buckeye leaf. I am getting a rash and that what I think it came from.

• KatyaKatya
    13 years ago

Japanese honeysuckle is not poisonous, my children like to suck sweet nectar out of its small flowers. But it is evil environmentally, taking over native vegetation and turning entire areas into honeysuckle deserts - like kudzu. Kill it whenever you can - even if you kind of like it, you will have a lot of it left over anyway. I try to make a use of it, weaving it into wreaths, works better than grape vines.