Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa_m_ivey

Chattanooga - Tiller question

theresa_m_ivey
16 years ago

I have a lot of tilling to do this year and need to decide if I want to rent or buy a tiller. I have a spare lot that is 50x150ft, and I'm wanting to cultivate the first 50x50 foot section this year.

I checked with a local rental company about renting a tiller, and it would be $180 deposit and either $60/day or $240 for a week for a 5HP-rear-tine tiller.

I could buy a cheap front-tine electric tiller for about $20 more than the deposit. Specificially, I found an electric cultivator that is at Lowe's:

Troy-Bilt® Electric Cultivator

Item #: 139051

Model: 21A-154A966

$199.98 (plus tax of course)

Now, I live between Missionary Ridge and Downtown where the soil is a rich heavy black clay for almost 2 Ft. And it needs a lot of compost tilled into it to make it less dense and to improve drainage. When it's dry, it's hard as a rock, when it's wet, it's really really thick.

So my question is, do I rent or do I buy the above model?

Has anyone had any experience with the model I listed above?

Would my clay soil wear this machine out, or would it be worth the expense? I don't mind taking more time to till with a less powerful machine.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I wouldn't give $50 for the front tine tiller you mentioned. Here are five good reasons that the rear tine tiller would be better:

1. Using the front tine electric tiller is orders of magnituede more work. With the rear tine tiller, all you really have to do is let it do the work. You have to guide it and turn it at the end of each row, but while it's tilling, the required work is minimal. With the front tine electric tiller, on the other hand, you will be working to hold the machine in place the entire time. Especially on less-than-very-loose soil, you are working against the machine constantly and it will wear you out.

2. The machine simply will not, in a reasonable time period, do the work that a rear tine tiller will do.

3. The depth and width of tilling is less and attachments are limited. This means that it will take longer to accomplish the same or similar results even if it's possible at all.

4. You're attached to an extension cord! What a pain!!!

5. Here's one that really gets me. One golf ball size rock can destroy the tines of the smaller tiller. I don't know about Troy-Built, but some of the other brands, guarantee their tines agains breakage. What they don't cover is bending. When the tines curl up into a ball around the shaft (in no time at all) the machine is worthless. Also, the tines are too expensive to replace frequently.

Here's one piece of advise if you want it: Before even thinking about the electric front tine tiller, rent a small Mantis gas powered tiller from Home Depot and check it out. The Mantis is almost certainly the best small tiller on the market and can run circles around the Troy-Bilt. I don't think you'll be all that impressed by the Mantis, so I think you would be really disappointed with the Troy-Bilt.

• huntingsonny
    15 years ago

hi you need to call me, i till gardens, for a 20x20 spot i get $50.00 cash or trade thanks sonny 423-645-7056

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

Theresa, I am a female approaching her mid forties. I own a rear tine tiller and have a similiar size garden. I have been ammending this soil for years now. My advise to you is absolutely forget the front tine ( I have used them). As far as a rear tine being easy you can forget that notion too. A rear tine is far superior to a front tine but you will feel it. The rear tine will walk real nice after the third trip down the row otherwise you are working with it. If you have a small tractor a pull behind will be much easier. I have reached the point that I till my garden in smaller doses not the entire garden so I can still walk upright. If you go with a front or rear tine I would highly recommend the largest rear tine you can afford.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz