Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Rice Hulls

Posted by honeybunny442 z6 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 08 at 13:18

Hi, I live in east TN and am looking for unground rice hulls to use as a component of a potting soil mix. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy some? The only company I've seen in in Arkansas.
thanks!
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Rice Hulls

You'll have a problem in that it's a long way to where rice is grown. Arkansas are the closest growing fields to TN, (and they are probably totally under water this week.)
Finding someone that will bag and ship them is going to really add the cost.
Could you substitute a more local product?
(I would suggest corn gluten meal, something readily available locally, but it's a germination supressant in that it accelerates growth excessively according to an old website from Iowa.)
Wheat straw.... is available.
And there are lots of food additives from the Farmers' Co-op. (Soy bean meal, cottonseed meal....)

o

Susan, you might consider buying some BioComp from Sonnegro instead. It's made with composted bark and peanut hulls.

o

Thanks, that sounds good.
In the past I got 50 pound bags of the hulls in Milwaukee, WI, so I know places have them and may not advertise the fact. I'll try the Sonnegro, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here